Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Zweinitz

Zweinitz - Schloss Thurnhof

10 Jul 2017 227
Schloss Thurnhof, a castle erected around an older donjon in the 16th century, towers over the village and the valley of the Gurk river.

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius

09 Jul 2017 289
The church, dedicated to St. Ägidius (= "Saint Gilles") was mentioned the first time in 1169, though a legend tells, that it was founded by Saint Hemma of Gurk. Rebuilt after a fire in 1354 it has been dependent from the Canons of Gurk upto 1781. It is located in the center of the village´s graveyard. The interior walls got decorated with frescoes within the 14th century by different masters. Seen here is the choir. Christ in a mandorla, surrounded by angels. Below are the 12 disciples. This fresco is signed, it was created in 1390 by Master "Hainricus".

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius

09 Jul 2017 234
The church, dedicated to St. Ägidius (= "Saint Gilles") was mentioned the first time in 1169, though a legend tells, that it was founded by Saint Hemma of Gurk. Rebuilt after a fire in 1354 it has been dependent from the Canons of Gurk upto 1781. It is located in the center of the village´s graveyard. Looking down the nave to the choir - from the gallery. The interior walls got decorated with frescoes within the 14th century by different masters.

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius

09 Jul 2017 1 335
The church, dedicated to St. Ägidius (= "Saint Gilles") was mentioned the first time in 1169, though a legend tells, that it was founded by Saint Hemma of Gurk. Rebuilt after a fire in 1354 it has been dependent from the Canons of Gurk upto 1781. It is located in the center of the village´s graveyard. The portal, protected by a narthex, has a tympanum, depicting the "Veil of Veronica", a frescoe dated 1420/30. The capitals on the sides, that flank the door, are Romanesque. A bearded man and a woman wearing long braids. They hvae a very serious look.

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius

09 Jul 2017 1 249
The church, dedicated to St. Ägidius (= "Saint Gilles") was mentioned the first time in 1169, though a legend tells, that it was founded by Saint Hemma of Gurk. Rebuilt after a fire in 1354 it has been dependent from the Canons of Gurk upto 1781. It is located in the center of the village´s graveyard. The portal, protected by a narthex, has a strange tympanum, depicting the "Veil of Veronica", a frescoe dated 1420/30. The veil got very popular from the 13th century on - and was an attraction in Rome. The capitals on the sides and the old, Romanesque tymanum ("Agnus Dei") got saved, when the portal got "modernized".

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius

09 Jul 2017 222
The church, dedicated to St. Ägidius (= "Saint Gilles") was mentioned the first time in 1169, though a legend tells, that it was founded by Saint Hemma of Gurk. Rebuilt after a fire in 1354 it has been dependent from the Canons of Gurk upto 1781. It is located in the center of the village´s graveyard. The small Gothic chapel, next to the church, is dedicated to Archangel Michael and served the parish for centuries as a Karner (ossuary). It was locked, but I could peek through the windows of the crypt - and saw bones.

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius

09 Jul 2017 255
The church, dedicated to St. Ägidius (= "Saint Gilles") was mentioned the first time in 1169, though a legend tells, that it was founded by Saint Hemma of Gurk. Rebuilt after a fire in 1354 it has been dependent from the Canons of Gurk upto 1781. It is located in the center of the village´s graveyard. The ridge turret is pretty new, it was added to the church in 1929.