Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Lieding

Lieding - Hl. Margaretha

09 Jul 2017 253
A church was founded here by in 974 by Countess Emma, Saint Emma of Gurk´s grandmother. Since 1131 this church served the parish. After a fire in 1200, the church got rebuilt, of the older church the walls of the nave and a part of the narthex got "reused". The large Gothic (unfortunately locked) crypt got added 1330 - 1350. During the Turkish incursions in the second half of the 15th century the church and the surrounding area got fortified. The iron door, seen here, may have been installed during that rough time. The tympanum above, protected by a narthex, originates probably from the very first church here. Following the infomation I found, there is Saint Margaretha devoured by a dragon and saved by a lion. Behind Saint Margaretha´s head is a second head visible. Maybe an angel watching the dramatic scene.

Lieding - Hl. Margaretha

08 Jul 2017 290
A church was founded here by in 974 by Countess Emma, Saint Emma of Gurk´s grandmother. Since 1131 this church served the parish. After a fire in 1200, the church got rebuilt, of the older church the walls of the nave and a part of the narthex got "reused". The large Gothic (unfortunately locked) crypt got added 1330 - 1350. During the Turkish incursions in the second half of the 15th century the church and the surrounding area got fortified, while in "Baroque times" the tower got a new bulbous spire. The chapel on the right once served as Karner (ossuary). Seen in the backdrop is "Schloss Straßburg". The castle, overlooking the valley of the Gurk-river, was the residency of the Bishops of Gurk.

Lieding - Hl. Margaretha

08 Jul 2017 299
A church was founded here by in 974 by Countess Emma, Saint Emma of Gurk´s grandmother. Since 1131 this church served the parish. After a fire in 1200, the church got rebuilt, of the older church the walls of the nave and a part of the narthex got "reused". The large Gothic (unfortunately locked) crypt got added 1330 - 1350. During the Turkish incursions in the second half of the 15th century the church and the surrounding area got fortified, while in "Baroque times" the tower got a new bulbous spire. The chapel on the left once served as Karner (ossuary).