Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Côte-d’Or

Dijon - Saint-Philibert

29 May 2017 205
Located next to the Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne, that in medieval times was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus, is Saint-Philibert, that served the parish since the early times. A church, dedicated to Saint Philibert, is proven here in the center of an older graveyard already in 1103, but the church of today was erected after the great fire, that destroyed most of Dijon, in 1137. After the Revolution in 1795 the building was converted into a stable, later it was used as a depot by the armee. Returned to the city in the 1920s it got renovated from then on and used for exhibitions. The long awaited renovation failed end of the 1970s, when the pillars started to crumble. The church was closed for visitors, but meanwhile the doors are open again. The arches along the nave are stabilized by massive wooden frames.

Dijon - Saint-Philibert

29 May 2017 1 217
Located next to the Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne, that in medieval times was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus, is Saint-Philibert, that served the parish since the early times. A church, dedicated to Saint Philibert, is proven here in the center of an older graveyard already in 1103, but the church of today was erected after the great fire, that destroyed most of Dijon, in 1137. The western porch was added to the Romanesque structure in the early 16th century. The bell tower was completed in 1510. After the Revolution in 1795 the building was converted into a stable, later it was used as a depot by the armee. Returned to the city in the 1920s it got renovated from then on and used for exhibitions. The long awaited renovation failed end of the 1970s, when the pillars started to crumble. The church was closed for visitors, but meanwhile the doors are open again.

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

29 May 2017 201
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt. There are some nicely carved capitals, created by at least two different workshops at different times. Here is a capital carved by the "older" studio. The style is very rough. It looks a bit like Alexander the Great going up to heaven in a basket, but there are no engins/griffins.

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

29 May 2017 192
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt. There are some nicely carved capitals, created by at least two different workshops at different times. Here is a more complex (and damaged) one. Bulging eyes!

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

29 May 2017 2 222
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt. There are some nicely carved capitals, created by at least two different workshops at different times. Here is a more complex (and damaged) one. Devouring beasts?

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

28 May 2017 166
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt. There are some nicely carved capitals. Saint Benignus´ sacrophagus is empty. I learned, that the bones "got lost" during the Revolution.

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

28 May 2017 172
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt. There are some nicely carved capitals. Saint Benignus´ sacrophagus is empty. I learned, that the bones "got lost" during the Revolution.

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

28 May 2017 379
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt. There are some nicely carved capitals. Saint Benignus´ sacrophagus is empty. I learned, that the bones "got lost" during the Revolution. The dome over the central rotunda.

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

28 May 2017 183
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt, seen here. There are some nicely carved capitals. Saint Benignus´ sacrophagus is empty. I learned, that the bones "got lost" during the Revolution.

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

27 May 2017 223
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt, seen here. There are some nicely carved capitals. Saint Benignus´ sacrophagus is empty. I learned, that the bones "got lost" during the Revolution.

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

27 May 2017 1 1 245
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt, seen here.

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

27 May 2017 211
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt.

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

27 May 2017 6 1 289
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt.

Dijon - Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne

27 May 2017 1 240
The Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne was the church of the Abbey of St. Benignus. The church, erected in Gothic style 1280-1325, became the seat of the Bishopric of Dijon after the French Revolution. The first church here was a basilica built over the grave of Saint Benignus, who in the third century had come to Gaul from Smyrna as a missionary. He worked successfully in Burgundy - and got martyred. His sarcophagus was placed in a crypt, built by Saint Gregory of Langres in 511, a basilica over that crypt was completed in 535. In 990 Saint Mayeul, Abbot of Cluny, appointed William of Volpiano the new abbot here. William immidiatly started withe the construction of a new Romanesque church, that - instead of an apse - had a rotunda, 17 metres in diameter. In 1137 a fire destroyed most of the town and damaged the monastery and its church. The repaired building was consecrated by Pope Eugene III in 1147. In 1272 the crossing tower collapsed, destroying the whole of the upper church and severely damaging the subterranean one, and smashing some of the supporting columns of the rotunda. In 1280 the construction of a new Gothic abbey church started. This is the church seen today. What was left of the rotunda was destroyed after the Revolution. What remains is the lowest storey, which was excavated in the 19th century and has since been reworked as a crypt.

Beaune - Saint-Nicolas

25 May 2017 1 163
Saint-Nicolas was erected in the 12th century just outside the northern city walls to serve a growing suburbian settlement. The facade and the tower date to the 12th century. The nave and the apse are at least a century younger and already Gothic.

Beaune - Saint-Nicolas

25 May 2017 2 244
Saint-Nicolas was erected in the 12th century just outside the northern city walls to serve a growing suburbian settlement. The facade and the tower date to the 12th century, while the nave is younger. The tympanum depicts Saint Nicholas and the three poor daughters. Jacobus da Varagine knew this story and wrote it down in the medieval bestseller "Golden Legend" (aka "Legenda Aurea"). Saint Nicholas helped a father of three daughters who had lost everything and feared he would have to prostitute the girls. Saint Nicholas came to the man's window three nights in a row, and each night he tossed in a bag of gold.

Beaune - Saint-Nicolas

25 May 2017 211
Saint-Nicolas was erected in the 12th century just outside the northern city walls to serve a growing suburbian settlement. The facade and the tower date to the 12th century, while the nave is younger. The narthex was added in the 15th century to protect the portal. Note the carved beams on either side.

Beaune - Saint-Nicolas

25 May 2017 190
Saint-Nicolas was erected in the 12th century just outside the northern city walls to serve a growing suburbian settlement. The facade and the tower date to the 12th century, while the nave is younger. The wooden narthex was added in the 15th century to protect the portal.

22 items in total