Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Temple of Reason nave

Châteaumeillant - Saint-Genès

03 May 2017 1 179
Saint-Genès, erected in the 11th and 12th century, was the church of the priory Saint-Etienne, dependent from the important Abbaye Notre-Dame in Déols. This abbey, now in ruins, had been founded in 917 and developed into one of the most powerful regional institutions. It was one of the first in the Cluniac network. Odo of Cluny (+ 942) was abbot of three monasteries: Cluny, Massy and Deols. This is important, as Saint-Genès has architectural parralells to Cluny II and Cluny III. The building got severely damaged, when Louis VII (aka "Louis le Jeune", 1. husband of Eleanor of Aquitaine) burnt down the town in 1152 during a feud with Abbo II de Déols, a supporter of Henri Plantagenêt (aka Henry II, "Curtmantle", 2. husband of Eleanor of Aquitaine). In 1569 the Huguenots set fire here - and many restorations followed that. During the French Revolution the bell tower was destroyed and the church became a "Temple of Reason". The eastern part of Saint-Genès (the many apses) was erected following the model of "Cluny II" end of the 11th century. The nave built mid 12th century follows "Cluny III". The church is 52 meters long. Note the wooden ceiling. The old vaults got never restorated, after the Wars of Religions.