Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Marienaltar
Hildesheim - St. Michaeliskirche
30 Jul 2022 |
|
|
Louis the Pious founded the bishopric of Hildesheim in 815. The settlement developed into a town and was granted market rights by King Otto III in 983. Craftsmen and merchants were attracted and the city developed into an important community. By 1167, Hildesheim was an almost completely walled market settlement.
At the beginning of the 13th century, Hildesheim had about 5,000 inhabitants, and when Hildesheim received its city charter in 1249, it was one of the largest cities in northern Germany. The clergy ruled Hildesheim for four centuries before a town hall was built and the citizens gained influence and independence. In 1367, Hildesheim became a member of the Hanseatic League. But what is now called Hildesheim was various small "suburbs". After centuries of (sometimes armed) disputes, it was not until the end of the 16th century that a union was created and subsequently at least the inner wall was taken down Old and New Town.
During the Thirty Years' War, Hildesheim was besieged and occupied several times. In 1813, after the Napoleonic Wars, the town became part of the Kingdom of Hanover, which was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia as a province after the Austro-Prussian War in 1866.
The air raids on Hildesheim in 1944/45 destroyed large parts of the city. Of the 1500 half-timbered houses, only 200 remained. 90 percent of the historic old town was destroyed in the firestorm.
-
St. Michaeliskirche is an Ottonian, early Romanesque church. It was the abbey church of the Benedictine abbey until the Reformation. Today it is a shared church, the main church being Lutheran and the crypt being Roman Catholic.
Bishop Bernward of Hildesheim (996–1022) founded the monastery just a half kilometer north of the city walls. He set the first stone for the new church in 1010. Construction continued under Bishop Godehard, who completed the work in 1031 and reconsecrated the church. The church has double choirs east and west and six towers, two large ones over the crossings east and west, and four other tall and narrow ones attached to the small sides of the two transepts.
When the people of Hildesheim became Protestant in 1542, St. Michael's became Lutheran, but the Benedictine monastery operated here until it was secularized in 1803. Monks continued to use the church, especially its western choir and crypt, down to that moment.
St. Michael's Church was heavily damaged in an air raid during World War II on 22 March 1945, but reconstruction was begun in 1950 and completed in 1957. In 1985, the church became a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site, along with the Cathedral of Hildesheim.
The altar was created around 1520 and was originally placed in the church of the Johannisstift. In the course of the Reformation, it was transferred to the now Protestant Martinikirche, the former church of the Franciscan monastery. In the middle of the 19th century, the church was profaned and used as a museum. The congregation moved (back) to St. Michaeliskirche in 1857 and brought the altar possibly as a replacement. However, the two outer wings, painted on both sides, were sold to the Museum Society and are now in the possession of the City Museum.
Seven saints dressed in golden robes can be seen. In the center is Mary with the infant Jesus. At her side are John the Evangelist on the left and John the Baptist on the right.
Wismar - Nikolaikirche
20 Oct 2021 |
|
|
|
Slavic Obodrites lived in the area, where Wismar is now, until the end of the 12th century.
The exact date of the city's foundation is not clear, it had civic rights already in 1229 when migrants from Holstein and Westphalia settled here. The "Lübsches Stadtrecht" (town law) was confirmed in 1266. In 1259 Wismar joined a defensive agreement with Lübeck and Rostock, in order to counter the numerous Baltic pirates. Subsequently, more cities would agree to cooperate as commerce and trade were increasingly coordinated and regulated. These policies would provide the basis for the development of the "Hanseatic League". By the 13th and 14th centuries, Wismar had grown into a flourishing Hanseatic trading hub.
In 1632, during the Thirty Years' War, Sweden conquered the city, and the Swedish Crown received in the Peace of Westphalia in 1648 after the end of the Thirty Years' War.
Swedish rule over Wismar ended de facto in 1803 when Sweden pledged the city to the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin for 99 years. Formally, Wismar reverted to Germany in 1903 and Sweden waived its right to redeem the pledge.
Wismar is a typical representative of the Hanseatic League with its city-wide Brick Gothic structures and gabled patrician houses and has alongside the historical old town of Stralsund been declared the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Historic Centres of Stralsund and Wismar".
The Nicolaikirche (Church St. Nicholas) was built from 1381 until 1487 as a church for sailors and fishermen. St. Nicholas is a fine testaments to mediaeval brick architecture in northern Germany.
In 1381, the city council commissioned the master mason Heinrich von Bremen to complete the choir. The consecration of the high altar is documented for 1403. Heinrich von Bremen continued to work until 1415. In 1434 work was carried out on the north aisle and later the south aisle. Under the direction of Peter Stolp and Hermann von Münster in 1459, the work was completed to such an extent that the church could be consecrated. From 1485 to 1487, Hans Mertens built the two upper storeys of the tower, and the spire was added in 1508.
In December 1703, a storm destroyed the spire. Its parts smashed through the roof and the vaults of the nave. Many pieces of the interior furnishings were destroyed. Afterwards, the tower received a transverse gable roof and the nave a flat ceiling. The renovation of the furnishings lasted until the second half of the 18th century. It was not until 1867 that a vault was erected again. The air raids during the Second World War caused only minor damage to the church.
After the Second World War, the Nikolaikirche was the least damaged of all the large churches in Wismar. Many works of art had been stored away and thus survived the war, but the churches lay in ruins and the important Marienkirche was later blown up.
The Marienaltar (Altar of the Virgin Mary) was created in the late 15th century. The altar with the seven carved figures that originally stood in the Dominican monastery in Wismar. The shrine has numerous missing parts. Some attributes of the figures are missing, as is almost all of the colouring. This also applies to the paintings on the outer sides of the wings. In the centre is a crescent moon Madonna.
Mary is surrounded by six Holy Virgins, who cannot be fully recognised due to the partial absence of attributes.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Marienaltar" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter