Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Treaty of Paris
Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice
07 Oct 2021 |
|
|
|
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix.
After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc".
The erection of the church started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The structure, completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style, was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc.
The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix. In the early 14th century many small and very small dioceses were founded within the former Cathar area. Mirepoix was one of them.
Other dioceses were founded at the same time in Saint Papoul (1317-1801 / 40kms north) and Alet-le-Bains (1318-1801 / 40kms east).
Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice
07 Oct 2021 |
|
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix.
After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc".
The erection of the church started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The structure, completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style, was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc.
The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix. In the early 14th century many small and very small dioceses were founded within the former Cathar area. Mirepoix was one of them.
Other dioceses were founded at the same time in Saint Papoul (1317-1801 / 40kms north) and Alet-le-Bains (1318-1801 / 40kms east).
Taillebourg
08 Nov 2018 |
|
|
|
Taillebourg is a small town abord the Charente river. In 1242 just here the "Battle of Taillebourg" started between the troops of Louis IX and his brother Alphonse of Poitiers and the troops of King Henry III of England and his ally Hugh X of Lusignan.
In a the fierce battle the French attacked the bridge. The decision finally resulted in a pontoon bridge built by the French downstream, over which the French could advance to the left bank of the Charente.
Richard of Cornwall negotiated a 24-hour armistice, which enabled the English to withdraw, rather than flee to Saintes. Henry III is said to have forgotten his crown. He could not hold Saintes with his weak forces and had to withdrew to Bordeaux. The "Treaty of Paris" finally ended 100 years of conflicts between the Capetian and Plantagenet dynasties in 1259.
Montesquieu-Volvestre - Saint Victor
18 Feb 2017 |
|
Raymond VII, the Count of Toulouse, who signed the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, founded the town in a loop of the River Arize in 1238 as a bastide.
Saint Victor, the fortified parish church, was erected in the typical gothique méridional style from red bricks just after the town was founded.
The small crypt was completely dark - so I used the flashlight, what I try to avoid - normally. The crypt was used as a "lapidarium".
Montesquieu-Volvestre - Saint Victor
18 Feb 2017 |
|
Raymond VII, the Count of Toulouse, who signed the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, founded the town in a loop of the River Arize in 1238 as a bastide.
Saint Victor, the fortified parish church, was erected in the typical gothique méridional style from red bricks just after the town was founded. In front of the golden Madonna (left) stairs lead down to a small crypt.
Montesquieu-Volvestre - Saint Victor
17 Feb 2017 |
|
Raymond VII, the Count of Toulouse, who signed the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, founded the town in a loop of the River Arize in 1238 as a bastide.
The town still has the typical bastide-layout - and so there is a central square and the parish church right in its center. Saint Victor was erected in the typical gothique méridional style from red bricks just after the town was founded. The church is fortified - the tower reaches 32 meters.
Montesquieu-Volvestre - La Halle
17 Feb 2017 |
|
Raymond VII, the Count of Toulouse, who signed the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, founded the town in a loop of the River Arize in 1238 as a bastide.
The town still has the typical layout - and a central square right in its center. Here is the market hall and behind Saint-Victor, the parish church.
Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice
16 Feb 2017 |
|
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix.
After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc".
The erection of the church started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The structure, completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style, was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc.
The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix. In the early 14th century many small and very small dioceses were founded within the former Cathar area. Mirepoix was one of them.
The Cathédrale Saint-Maurice is a single nave church. It is claimed locally that the cathedral has the second widest Gothic arch in Europe (after Girona in Catalonia, Spain).
Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice
16 Feb 2017 |
|
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix.
After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc".
The erection of the church started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The structure, completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style, was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc.
The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix. In the early 14th century many small and very small dioceses were founded within the former Cathar area. Mirepoix was one of them.
Two mermaids hold this coat of arms near the portal, that got "erased" probably during the Revolution.
Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice
16 Feb 2017 |
|
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix.
After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc".
The erection of the church started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The structure, completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style, was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc.
The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix. In the early 14th century many small and very small dioceses were founded within the former Cathar area. Mirepoix was one of them.
Other dioceses were founded eg in Saint Papoul (1317-1801 / 40kms north) and Alet-le-Bains (1318-1801 / 40kms east).
Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice
16 Feb 2017 |
|
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix.
After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc".
The nice 19th century market hall and the Cathédrale Saint-Maurice are in the center of the "bastide".
The erection of the Mirepoix Cathedral started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The cathedral completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc.
The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix.
Mirepoix - La Maison Des Consuls
16 Feb 2017 |
|
|
|
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix.
After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular, arcaded square, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc".
The square is bordered by half timbered houses dating from the 13th to the 15th centuries. One of them is the "Maison Des Consuls". More than 100 sculptures decorate the wooden beams. The little monkey is one of them.
Mirepoix - La Maison Des Consuls
16 Feb 2017 |
|
|
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix.
After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular, arcaded square, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc".
The square is bordered by half timbered houses dating from the 13th to the 15th centuries. One of them is the "Maison Des Consuls". More than 100 sculptures decorate the wooden beams.
www.maisondesconsuls.com/lhotel
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Treaty of Paris" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter