Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Guy de Lévis

Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice

07 Oct 2021 2 1 118
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix. After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc". The erection of the church started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The structure, completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style, was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc. The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix. In the early 14th century many small and very small dioceses were founded within the former Cathar area. Mirepoix was one of them. Other dioceses were founded at the same time in Saint Papoul (1317-1801 / 40kms north) and Alet-le-Bains (1318-1801 / 40kms east).

Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice

07 Oct 2021 151
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix. After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc". The erection of the church started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The structure, completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style, was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc. The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix. In the early 14th century many small and very small dioceses were founded within the former Cathar area. Mirepoix was one of them. Other dioceses were founded at the same time in Saint Papoul (1317-1801 / 40kms north) and Alet-le-Bains (1318-1801 / 40kms east).

Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice

16 Feb 2017 295
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix. After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc". The erection of the church started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The structure, completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style, was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc. The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix. In the early 14th century many small and very small dioceses were founded within the former Cathar area. Mirepoix was one of them. The Cathédrale Saint-Maurice is a single nave church. It is claimed locally that the cathedral has the second widest Gothic arch in Europe (after Girona in Catalonia, Spain).

Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice

16 Feb 2017 261
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix. After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc". The erection of the church started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The structure, completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style, was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc. The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix. In the early 14th century many small and very small dioceses were founded within the former Cathar area. Mirepoix was one of them. Two mermaids hold this coat of arms near the portal, that got "erased" probably during the Revolution.

Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice

16 Feb 2017 331
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix. After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc". The erection of the church started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The structure, completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style, was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc. The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix. In the early 14th century many small and very small dioceses were founded within the former Cathar area. Mirepoix was one of them. Other dioceses were founded eg in Saint Papoul (1317-1801 / 40kms north) and Alet-le-Bains (1318-1801 / 40kms east).

Mirepoix - Cathédrale Saint-Maurice

16 Feb 2017 231
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix. After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular place, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc". The nice 19th century market hall and the Cathédrale Saint-Maurice are in the center of the "bastide". The erection of the Mirepoix Cathedral started in 1298 and the construction continued over centuries. The cathedral completed in the typical "gothique méridional" style was restored in the 19th century by Prosper Mérimée and Eugène Viollet-le-Duc. The parish church was between 1317 and 1801 the seat of the Bishop of Mirepoix.

Mirepoix - La Maison Des Consuls

16 Feb 2017 2 4 299
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix. After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular, arcaded square, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc". The square is bordered by half timbered houses dating from the 13th to the 15th centuries. One of them is the "Maison Des Consuls". More than 100 sculptures decorate the wooden beams. The little monkey is one of them.

Mirepoix - La Maison Des Consuls

16 Feb 2017 1 219
Mirepoix, part of the independent fiefdom of Foix, was a stronghold of the Cathars, who held a council here in 1206. Only 3 years later (1209) Simon de Montfort´s armee captured the town after a siege. He gave it to one of his lieutenants, Guy de Lévis. Raymond Roger von Foix reconquered Mirepoix in 1223 and re-installed the Cathar Pierre-Roger de Mirepoix. After the Treaty of Paris (1229), that ended the Albigensian Crusade and the political autonomy of Occitan, the town was given back to Guy de Lévis, whose son moved the town after a devasting flood (1289) to higher grounds and had it rebuilt as a "bastide". This layout was never changed, so in the center is a large rectangular, arcaded square, named today "Place du Maréchal-Leclerc". The square is bordered by half timbered houses dating from the 13th to the 15th centuries. One of them is the "Maison Des Consuls". More than 100 sculptures decorate the wooden beams. www.maisondesconsuls.com/lhotel