Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Prouille

Monastère de Prouilhe

15 Feb 2017 311
The monastery is known as the "cradle of the Dominicans". It was founded 1207 in Prouille, a hamlet between Fanjeaux and Bram. Diego de Acebo, Bishop of Osma, and Dominic Gúzman (future "Saint Dominic") had settled here and tried to converse Cathars, often through Cathar-Catholic debates (see "Montréal"). The convent got established to serve as a refuge for women who had previously lived in Cathar areas but had converted to Catholicism. As well this was the base of operations for Dominic and his followers, preaching Catholicism. The convent´s most generous donor was Simon de Montfort, the leader of the Albigensian Crusade. The monastery was sold after the French Revolution and got completely razed. Some stones and carvings from here can still be seen in homes in the towns around. Only one arch keystone of the medieval building remained here. Father Henri Lacordaire, who re-established the Dominican Order in France again, decided to have the "cradle of the Dominicans" rebuilt mid 19th century. The reconstruction was done in the Roman-Byzantine style. As many churches of the 19th century, the large church started to crumble very early - and now needs permanent care. www.domlife.org/800/ProuilleRenovationProject.htm

Monastère de Prouilhe

15 Feb 2017 1 1 259
The monastery is known as the "cradle of the Dominicans". It was founded 1207 in Prouille, a hamlet between Fanjeaux and Bram. Diego de Acebo, Bishop of Osma, and Dominic Gúzman (future "Saint Dominic") had settled here and tried to converse Cathars, often through Cathar-Catholic debates (see "Montréal"). The convent got established to serve as a refuge for women who had previously lived in Cathar areas but had converted to Catholicism. As well this was the base of operations for Dominic and his followers, preaching Catholicism. The convent´s most generous donor was Simon de Montfort, the leader of the Albigensian Crusade. The monastery was sold after the French Revolution and got completely razed. Some stones and carvings from here can still be seen in homes in the towns around. Only one arch keystone of the medieval building remained here. Father Henri Lacordaire, who re-established the Dominican Order in France again, decided to have the "cradle of the Dominicans" rebuilt mid 19th century. The reconstruction was done in the Roman-Byzantine style. As many churches of the 19th century, the large church started to crumble very early - and now needs permanent care. www.domlife.org/800/ProuilleRenovationProject.htm

Monastère de Prouilhe

15 Feb 2017 1 292
The monastery is known as the "cradle of the Dominicans". It was founded 1207 in Prouille, a hamlet between Fanjeaux and Bram. Diego de Acebo, Bishop of Osma, and Dominic Gúzman (future "Saint Dominic") had settled here and tried to converse Cathars, often through Cathar-Catholic debates (see "Montréal"). The convent got established to serve as a refuge for women who had previously lived in Cathar areas but had converted to Catholicism. As well this was the base of operations for Dominic and his followers, preaching Catholicism. The convent´s most generous donor was Simon de Montfort, the leader of the Albigensian Crusade. The monastery was sold after the French Revolution and got completely razed. Some stones and carvings from here can still be seen in homes in the towns around. Only one arch keystone of the medieval building remained here. Father Henri Lacordaire, who re-established the Dominican Order in France again, decided to have the "cradle of the Dominicans" rebuilt mid 19th century. The reconstruction was done in the Roman-Byzantine style. As many churches of the 19th century, the large church started to crumble very early - and now needs permanent care. www.domlife.org/800/ProuilleRenovationProject.htm

Monastère de Prouilhe

15 Feb 2017 1 285
The monastery is known as the "cradle of the Dominicans". It was founded 1207 in Prouille, a hamlet between Fanjeaux and Bram. Diego de Acebo, Bishop of Osma, and Dominic Gúzman (future "Saint Dominic") had settled here and tried to converse Cathars, often through Cathar-Catholic debates (see "Montréal"). The convent got established to serve as a refuge for women who had previously lived in Cathar areas but had converted to Catholicism. As well this was the base of operations for Dominic and his followers, preaching Catholicism. The convent´s most generous donor was Simon de Montfort, the leader of the Albigensian Crusade. The monastery was sold after the French Revolution and got completely razed. Some stones and carvings from here can still be seen in homes in the towns around. Only one arch keystone of the medieval building remained here. Father Henri Lacordaire, who re-established the Dominican Order in France again, decided to have the "cradle of the Dominicans" rebuilt mid 19th century. The reconstruction was done in the Roman-Byzantine style. As many churches of the 19th century, the large church started to crumble very early - and now needs permanent care. www.domlife.org/800/ProuilleRenovationProject.htm