Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Abbaye Sainte-Marie de Lagrasse
Lagrasse - Pont-Vieux
11 Feb 2017 |
|
|
The Pont-Vieux (aka "Pont de l’Abbaye") was erected in 1303.
Today only pedestrians cross the River Orbieu via that old bridge.
A new one exists to deal with the all the cars.
Lagrasse - Pont-Vieux
11 Feb 2017 |
|
|
|
The Pont-Vieux (aka "Pont de l’Abbaye") was erected in 1303.
Today only pedestrians cross the River Orbieu via that old bridge. A new, modern one exists to deal with the all the cars - and to offer a viewpoint. The tower of the abbey is seen in the back.
Lagrasse - Saint-Michel
10 Feb 2017 |
|
|
|
A convent existed in the valley of the River Orbieu already in the 7th century. In 779 Charlemagne sponsored the convent that became the Abbaye Sainte-Marie.
Lagrasse (pop. 550), one of the "Plus Beaux Villages de France" ("The most beautiful villages of France"), developed around the abbey. The parish church of the village was erected from ~ 1350 on in the specific "Gothique méridional", that is very common in the South of France. It was consecrated in 1398.
The nun looks a little unhappy, while the young, jug-eared friar seems to be bored, holding the rib of the Gothic vault.
Lagrasse - Saint-Michel
10 Feb 2017 |
|
A convent existed in the valley of the River Orbieu already in the 7th century. In 779 Charlemagne sponsored the convent that became the Abbaye Sainte-Marie.
Lagrasse (pop. 550), one of the "Plus Beaux Villages de France" ("The most beautiful villages of France"), developed around the abbey. The parish church of the village was erected from ~ 1350 on in the specific "Gothique méridional", that is very common in the South of France. It was consecrated in 1398.
Lagrasse - Abbaye Sainte-Marie
10 Feb 2017 |
|
A convent existed in the valley of the River Orbieu already in the 7th century. In 779 Charlemagne sponsored the convent that became the Abbaye Sainte-Marie. Donations from the regional nobility made the abbey wealthy and powerful. In the 12th century, the monks governd over territories from Beziers to Urgell.
The decline started to decline end of the 13th century, when due to the numerous wars and feuds, the buildings had to be reinforced and fortified. The octagonal bell tower remaining unfinished.
The abbey existed upto the French Revolution. In 1789 the buildings were sold in two lots.
Since 2004 a part of the former abbey was "revitalized", as a convent of the "Chanoines réguliers de la Mère de Dieu" ("Canons Regular of the Mother of God") settled here.
I had visited the abbey already earlier, so this is the only photo..
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Abbaye Sainte-Marie de Lagrasse" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter