Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Bishop Neon
Ravenna - San Francesco
01 Oct 2016 |
|
|
Already Bishop Neon had a church built here in the 5th century, but the church got largely rebuilt around 1000. Neon´s tomb was discovered under the floor of the choir in the 19th century.
Archbishop Fontana gave the basilica to the Franciscans (= "Order of Friars Minor") in 1261. The monks then dedicated the church to San Francesco (aka "Francesco d'Assisi", "Francis of Assisi"), who had founded the order just about 50 years earlier.
The interior of the basilica got significantly altered during the 17th and 18th century.
During the excavations end of the 19th century, the crypt of the first church was found and unearthed. It still has original mosaic floor. As the church was erected in soft ground, the crypt was sunken into the ground and got overbuilt arounnd 1000. Today it is under the groundwater level and small goldfish populate the crypt and float over the mosaics.
Ravenna - San Francesco
01 Oct 2016 |
|
|
Already Bishop Neon had a church built here in the 5th century, but the church got largely rebuilt around 1000. Neon´s tomb was discovered under the floor of the choir in the 19th century.
Archbishop Fontana gave the basilica to the Franciscans (= "Order of Friars Minor") in 1261. The monks then dedicated the church to San Francesco (aka "Francesco d'Assisi", "Francis of Assisi"), who had founded the order just about 50 years earlier.
The interior of the basilica got significantly altered during the 17th and 18th century.
During the excavations end of the 19th century, the crypt of the first church was found and unearthed. It still has original mosaic floor. As the church was erected in soft ground, the crypt was sunken into the ground and got overbuilt arounnd 1000. Today it is under the groundwater level.
Ravenna - San Francesco
01 Oct 2016 |
|
Already Bishop Neon had a church built here in the 5th century, but the church got largely rebuilt around 1000. Neon´s tomb was discovered under the floor of the choir in the 19th century.
Archbishop Fontana gave the basilica to the Franciscans (= "Order of Friars Minor") in 1261. The monks then dedicated the church to San Francesco (aka "Francesco d'Assisi", "Francis of Assisi"), who had founded the order just about 50 years earlier.
The interior of the basilica got significantly altered during the 17th and 18th century.
After Dante Alighieri had died in Ravenna in 1318, he was buried in this church. Later Florence, where he was born, claimed Dante´s bones and finally in 1519 Pope Leo X authorized the transfer. But the Franciscans stole the bones - and hid them for centuries. They were rediscovered by chance in 1865 - and since then are kept in "Tomba di Dante" just around the corner of this church.
Ravenna - San Francesco
01 Oct 2016 |
|
|
|
Already Bishop Neon had a church built here in the 5th century, but this church got largely rebuilt around 1000.
After Archbishop Fontana gave the basilica to the Franciscans (= "Order of Friars Minor") in 1261, the monks dedicated the church to San Francesco (aka "Francesco d'Assisi", "Francis of Assisi"), who had founded the order just about 50 years earlier.
Ravenna - San Francesco
30 Sep 2016 |
|
|
Already Bishop Neon had a church built here in the 5th century, but this church got rebuilt around 1000.
After Archbishop Fontana gave this church to the Franciscans (= "Order of Friars Minor") in 1261, the monks dedicated the church to San Francesco (aka "Francesco d'Assisi", "Francis of Assisi"), who had founded the order just about 50 years earlier.
These Franciscans built this nice cloister, next to the church.
Ravenna - Battistero Neoniano
28 Sep 2016 |
|
The Battistero Neoniano (= Baptistry of Neon, Orthodox Baptistry) is the most ancient, still existing structure in Ravenna. The octagon was erected on the site of a Roman bath by Bishop Ursus at the end of the 4th century, as part of The Basilica Ursiana, that was destroyed in 1734, to make room for the Baroque cathedral of today.
The baptistery was finished by Bishop Neon at the end of the 5th century, at which time the famous mosaic decorations were added.
The ceiling mosaic depicts John the Baptist baptizing Jesus. A procession of the twelve apostles proceeds around the center.
Here the portrait of IACOBUS (= Saint James, Saint Jacques).
Ravenna - Battistero Neoniano
28 Sep 2016 |
|
The Battistero Neoniano (= Baptistry of Neon, Orthodox Baptistry) is the most ancient, still existing structure in Ravenna. The octagon was erected on the site of a Roman bath by Bishop Ursus at the end of the 4th century, as part of The Basilica Ursiana, that was destroyed in 1734, to make room for the Baroque cathedral of today.
The baptistery was finished by Bishop Neon at the end of the 5th century, at which time the famous mosaic decorations were added.
The center of the ceiling mosaic now in detail.
John the Baptist pouring water on Jesus´ head. Jesus stands half immersed in the Jordan River. He seems to be naked! John holds a large cross. Above them is the Holy Spirit. The elderly man to the right is the personification of the Jordan River.
Ravenna - Battistero Neoniano
28 Sep 2016 |
|
The Battistero Neoniano (= Baptistry of Neon, Orthodox Baptistry) is the most ancient, still existing structure in Ravenna. The octagon was erected on the site of a Roman bath by Bishop Ursus at the end of the 4th century, as part of The Basilica Ursiana, that was destroyed in 1734, to make room for the Baroque cathedral of today.
The baptistery was finished by Bishop Neon at the end of the 5th century, at which time the famous mosaic decorations were added.
The ceiling mosaic depicts John the Baptist baptizing Jesus, standing waist high in the Jordan River. A procession of the twelve apostles proceeds around the center.
Ravenna - Battistero Neoniano
28 Sep 2016 |
|
The Battistero Neoniano (= Baptistry of Neon, Orthodox Baptistry) is the most ancient, still existing structure in Ravenna. The octagon was erected on the site of a Roman bath by Bishop Ursus at the end of the 4th century, as part of The Basilica Ursiana, that was destroyed in 1734, to make room for the Baroque cathedral of today.
The baptistery was finished by Bishop Neon at the end of the 5th century, at which time the famous mosaic decorations were added.
At that time, the floor was about 3 metres (!!) lower than it is today, so the original dimensions of the building cannot be seen.
The octagonal baptismal font in the center dates to the 15th century.
Ravenna - Battistero Neoniano
28 Sep 2016 |
|
|
|
The Battistero Neoniano (= Baptistry of Neon, Orthodox Baptistry) is the most ancient, still existing structure in Ravenna. The octagon was erected on the site of a Roman bath by Bishop Ursus at the end of the 4th century, as part of The Basilica Ursiana, that was destroyed in 1734, to make room for the Baroque cathedral of today.
The baptistery was finished by Bishop Neon at the end of the 5th century, at which time the famous mosaic decorations were added.
Ravenna - Battistero Neoniano
28 Sep 2016 |
|
The Battistero Neoniano (= Baptistry of Neon, Orthodox Baptistry) is the most ancient, still existing structure in Ravenna. The octagon was erected on the site of a Roman bath by Bishop Ursus at the end of the 4th century, as part of The Basilica Ursiana, that was destroyed in 1734, to make room for the Baroque cathedral of today.
The baptistery was finished by Bishop Neon at the end of the 5th century, at which time the famous mosaic decorations were added.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Bishop Neon" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter