Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Halberstadt
Halberstadt - Liebfrauenkirche
24 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The Liebfrauenkirche is one of the three main churches in Halberstadt, along with the cathedral and the Martinikirche. It is located west of the cathedral. It is one of the few surviving four-tower basilicas from the Romanesque period. In 1005, Bishop Arnulf founded a collegiate monastery, which became of national importance by the end of the 15th century. According to recent research, the oldest preserved parts of the church, the basements of the west facade, date from after 1089. The three-aisled pillar basilica was (re)built almost throughout the 12th century. The baptistery was added around 1170. The portal of the church and the western towers with rhombic roofs date from the 13th century.
In 1661 the church was redesigned in the Baroque style, the medieval paintings were whitewashed in accordance with the Protestant simplicity. Also in the 17th century, the stone rood screen from 1230 was removed and replaced by a cast iron one. During the Seven Years' War and the period of occupation under Napoleon, the Church briefly served as a prison, ammunition production site and weapons store.
The choir barriers, dating from around 1200/1210, feature unique stucco figures of the 12 apostles, Mary and Christ in almost life-size full relief.
The brick barriers are 2.15 m high and are surmounted by wooden arcades. The north and south barriers each have stucco figures 1.14 m to 1.20 m high in the seven blind arcades. In the center of the southern part of the chancel is a scene of Mary with Child surrounded by six apostles. The head of Jesus has been lost.
These figures do not show the usual strict symbolic restraint of the 12th century, but are characterized by real physicality, harmonious movements and natural, relaxed sitting.
Halberstadt - Liebfrauenkirche
24 Jun 2023 |
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The Liebfrauenkirche is one of the three main churches in Halberstadt, along with the cathedral and the Martinikirche. It is located west of the cathedral. It is one of the few surviving four-tower basilicas from the Romanesque period. In 1005, Bishop Arnulf founded a collegiate monastery, which became of national importance by the end of the 15th century. According to recent research, the oldest preserved parts of the church, the basements of the west facade, date from after 1089. The three-aisled pillar basilica was (re)built almost throughout the 12th century. The baptistery was added around 1170. The portal of the church and the western towers with rhombic roofs date from the 13th century.
In 1661 the church was redesigned in the Baroque style, the medieval paintings were whitewashed in accordance with the Protestant simplicity. Also in the 17th century, the stone rood screen from 1230 was removed and replaced by a cast iron one. During the Seven Years' War and the period of occupation under Napoleon, the Church briefly served as a prison, ammunition production site and weapons store.
The choir barriers, dating from around 1200/1210, feature unique stucco figures of the 12 apostles, Mary and Christ in almost life-size full relief.
The brick barriers are 2.15 m high and are surmounted by wooden arcades. The north and south barriers each have stucco figures 1.14 m to 1.20 m high in the seven blind arcades. In the center of the southern part of the chancel is a scene of Mary with Child surrounded by six apostles. The head of Jesus has been lost.
These figures do not show the usual strict symbolic restraint of the 12th century, but are characterized by real physicality, harmonious movements and natural, relaxed sitting. Mary is strictly frontal, while the apostles turn to each other in conversation.
Halberstadt - Liebfrauenkirche
24 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The Liebfrauenkirche is one of the three main churches in Halberstadt, along with the cathedral and the Martinikirche. It is located west of the cathedral. It is one of the few surviving four-tower basilicas from the Romanesque period. In 1005, Bishop Arnulf founded a collegiate monastery, which became of national importance by the end of the 15th century. According to recent research, the oldest preserved parts of the church, the basements of the west facade, date from after 1089. The three-aisled pillar basilica was (re)built almost throughout the 12th century. The baptistery was added around 1170. The portal of the church and the western towers with rhombic roofs date from the 13th century.
In 1661 the church was redesigned in the Baroque style, the medieval paintings were whitewashed in accordance with the Protestant simplicity. Also in the 17th century, the stone rood screen from 1230 was removed and replaced by a cast iron one. During the Seven Years' War and the period of occupation under Napoleon, the Church briefly served as a prison, ammunition production site and weapons store.
The choir barriers, dating from around 1200/1210, feature unique stucco figures of the 12 apostles, Mary and Christ in almost life-size full relief.
The brick barriers are 2.15 m high and are surmounted by wooden arcades. The north and south barriers each have stucco figures 1.14 m to 1.20 m high in the seven blind arcades. In the center of the southern part of the chancel is a scene of Mary with Child surrounded by six apostles. The head of Jesus has been lost.
These figures do not show the usual strict symbolic restraint of the 12th century, but are characterized by real physicality, harmonious movements and natural, relaxed sitting. Mary is strictly frontal, while the apostles turn to each other in conversation.
Halberstadt - Liebfrauenkirche
23 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The Liebfrauenkirche is one of the three main churches in Halberstadt, along with the cathedral and the Martinikirche. It is located west of the cathedral. It is one of the few surviving four-tower basilicas from the Romanesque period. In 1005, Bishop Arnulf founded a collegiate monastery, which became of national importance by the end of the 15th century. According to recent research, the oldest preserved parts of the church, the basements of the west facade, date from after 1089. The three-aisled pillar basilica was (re)built almost throughout the 12th century. The baptistery was added around 1170. The portal of the church and the western towers with rhombic roofs date from the 13th century.
In 1661 the church was redesigned in the Baroque style, the medieval paintings were whitewashed in accordance with the Protestant simplicity. Also in the 17th century, the stone rood screen from 1230 was removed and replaced by a cast iron one. During the Seven Years' War and the period of occupation under Napoleon, the Church briefly served as a prison, ammunition production site and weapons store.
The choir barriers, dating from around 1200/1210, feature unique stucco figures of the 12 apostles, Mary and Christ in almost life-size full relief.
The brick barriers are 2.15 m high and are surmounted by wooden arcades. The north and south barriers each have stucco figures 1.14 m to 1.20 m high in the seven blind arcades. In the center of the southern part of the chancel is a scene of Mary with Child surrounded by six apostles. The head of Jesus has been lost.
These figures do not show the usual strict symbolic restraint of the 12th century, but are characterized by real physicality, harmonious movements and natural, relaxed sitting. Mary is strictly frontal, while the apostles turn to each other in conversation.
Halberstadt - Liebfrauenkirche
23 Jun 2023 |
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The Liebfrauenkirche is one of the three main churches in Halberstadt, along with the cathedral and the Martinikirche. It is located west of the cathedral. It is one of the few surviving four-tower basilicas from the Romanesque period. In 1005, Bishop Arnulf founded a collegiate monastery, which became of national importance by the end of the 15th century. According to recent research, the oldest preserved parts of the church, the basements of the west facade, date from after 1089. The three-aisled pillar basilica was (re)built almost throughout the 12th century. The baptistery was added around 1170. The portal of the church and the western towers with rhombic roofs date from the 13th century.
In 1661 the church was redesigned in the Baroque style, the medieval paintings were whitewashed in accordance with the Protestant simplicity. Also in the 17th century, the stone rood screen from 1230 was removed and replaced by a cast iron one. During the Seven Years' War and the period of occupation under Napoleon, the Church briefly served as a prison, ammunition production site and weapons store.
The triumphal cross from the second quarter of the 13th century
Halberstadt - Liebfrauenkirche
23 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The Liebfrauenkirche is one of the three main churches in Halberstadt, along with the cathedral and the Martinikirche. It is located west of the cathedral. It is one of the few surviving four-tower basilicas from the Romanesque period. In 1005, Bishop Arnulf founded a collegiate monastery, which became of national importance by the end of the 15th century. According to recent research, the oldest preserved parts of the church, the basements of the west facade, date from after 1089. The three-aisled pillar basilica was (re)built almost throughout the 12th century. The baptistery was added around 1170. The portal of the church and the western towers with rhombic roofs date from the 13th century.
In 1661 the church was redesigned in the Baroque style, the medieval paintings were whitewashed in accordance with the Protestant simplicity. Also in the 17th century, the stone rood screen from 1230 was removed and replaced by a cast iron one. During the Seven Years' War and the period of occupation under Napoleon, the Church briefly served as a prison, ammunition production site and weapons store.
Halberstadt - Liebfrauenkirche
23 Jun 2023 |
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The Liebfrauenkirche is one of the three main churches in Halberstadt, along with the cathedral and the Martinikirche. It is located west of the cathedral. It is one of the few surviving four-tower basilicas from the Romanesque period. In 1005, Bishop Arnulf founded a collegiate monastery, which became of national importance by the end of the 15th century. According to recent research, the oldest preserved parts of the church, the basements of the west facade, date from after 1089. The three-aisled pillar basilica was (re)built almost throughout the 12th century. The baptistery was added around 1170. The portal of the church and the western towers with rhombic roofs date from the 13th century.
The cloister dates from the 14th century.
Halberstadt - Liebfrauenkirche
23 Jun 2023 |
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The Liebfrauenkirche is one of the three main churches in Halberstadt, along with the cathedral and the Martinikirche. It is located west of the cathedral. It is one of the few surviving four-tower basilicas from the Romanesque period. In 1005, Bishop Arnulf founded a collegiate monastery, which became of national importance by the end of the 15th century. According to recent research, the oldest preserved parts of the church, the basements of the west facade, date from after 1089. The three-aisled pillar basilica was (re)built almost throughout the 12th century. The baptistery was added around 1170. The portal of the church and the western towers with rhombic roofs date from the 13th century. The new cloister west of the church dates from the 14th century.
Halberstadt - Liebfrauenkirche
23 Jun 2023 |
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The Liebfrauenkirche is one of the three main churches in Halberstadt, along with the cathedral and the Martinikirche. It is located west of the cathedral. It is one of the few surviving four-tower basilicas from the Romanesque period. In 1005, Bishop Arnulf founded a collegiate monastery, which became of national importance by the end of the 15th century. According to recent research, the oldest preserved parts of the church, the basements of the west facade, date from after 1089. The three-aisled pillar basilica was (re)built almost throughout the 12th century. The baptistery was added around 1170. The portal of the church and the western towers with rhombic roofs date from the 13th century. The new cloister west of the church dates from the 14th century.
Halberstadt - Liebfrauenkirche
23 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The Liebfrauenkirche is one of the three main churches in Halberstadt, along with the cathedral and the Martinikirche. It is located west of the cathedral. It is one of the few surviving four-tower basilicas from the Romanesque period, which is hard to see from this pov.
In 1005, Bishop Arnulf founded a collegiate monastery, which became of national importance by the end of the 15th century. According to recent research, the oldest preserved parts of the church, the basements of the west facade, date from after 1089. The three-aisled pillar basilica was (re)built almost throughout the 12th century. The baptistery was added around 1170. The portal of the church and the western towers with rhombic roofs date from the 13th century. The new cloister west of the church dates from the 14th century.
Halberstadt - St. Martini
23 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
St. Martini was probably founded in the 10th century. It was first mentioned in 1186. The building is a five-bay Gothic hall church. The octagonal spires of different heights are connected by a covered bridge. The choir is associated with indulgences in the years 1267, 1274 and 1285. The west building was probably started before 1311, the date when the church was placed under the Johannisstift.
The city of Halberstadt was 82 percent destroyed by bombing at the end of WWII. The degree of destruction of the Martini Church was also estimated at 80%.
From 1945 to 1954 St. Martini was restored. The main focus was on the restoration of the towers and the roof, which characterize the cityscape.
The bronze baptismal font is a work from the end of the 13th century. It is carried by four men, symbolizing the rivers of paradise. There are nine flat reliefs depicting the childhood and youth of Christ. The coloring was renewed in the 19th century.
The "Slaughter of the Innocents". The souls of the innocent kids are in Abraham's bosom.
Halberstadt - St. Martini
23 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
St. Martini was probably founded in the 10th century. It was first mentioned in 1186. The building is a five-bay Gothic hall church. The octagonal spires of different heights are connected by a covered bridge. The choir is associated with indulgences in the years 1267, 1274 and 1285. The west building was probably started before 1311, the date when the church was placed under the Johannisstift.
The city of Halberstadt was 82 percent destroyed by bombing at the end of WWII. The degree of destruction of the Martini Church was also estimated at 80%.
From 1945 to 1954 St. Martini was restored. The main focus was on the restoration of the towers and the roof, which characterize the cityscape.
The bronze baptismal font is a work from the end of the 13th century. It is carried by four men, symbolizing the rivers of paradise. There are nine flat reliefs depicting the childhood and youth of Christ. The coloring was renewed in the 19th century.
The Adoration of the Magi
-
More medieval bronze
www.ipernity.com/doc/323415/album/1275098
Halberstadt - St. Martini
23 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
St. Martini was probably founded in the 10th century. It was first mentioned in 1186. The building is a five-bay Gothic hall church. The octagonal spires of different heights are connected by a covered bridge. The choir is associated with indulgences in the years 1267, 1274 and 1285. The west building was probably started before 1311, the date when the church was placed under the Johannisstift.
The city of Halberstadt was 82 percent destroyed by bombing at the end of WWII. The degree of destruction of the Martini Church was also estimated at 80%.
From 1945 to 1954 St. Martini was restored. The main focus was on the restoration of the towers and the roof, which characterize the cityscape.
The bronze baptismal font is a work from the end of the 13th century. It is carried by four men, symbolizing the rivers of paradise. There are nine flat reliefs depicting the childhood and youth of Christ. The coloring was renewed in the 19th century.
The Nativity
Halberstadt - St. Martini
22 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
St. Martini was probably founded in the 10th century. It was first mentioned in 1186. The building is a five-bay Gothic hall church. The octagonal spires of different heights are connected by a covered bridge. The choir is associated with indulgences in the years 1267, 1274 and 1285. The west building was probably started before 1311, the date when the church was placed under the Johannisstift.
The city of Halberstadt was 82 percent destroyed by bombing at the end of WWII. The degree of destruction of the Martini Church was also estimated at 80%.
From 1945 to 1954 St. Martini was restored. The main focus was on the restoration of the towers and the roof, which characterize the cityscape.
The triumphal cross is probably from 1443. The hair on Christ´s head and beard is natural human hair.
Halberstadt - St. Martini
22 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting, and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
St. Martini was probably founded in the 10th century. It was first mentioned in 1186. The building is a five-bay Gothic hall church. The octagonal spires of different heights are connected by a covered bridge. The choir is associated with indulgences in the years 1267, 1274 and 1285. The west building was probably started before 1311, the date when the church was placed under the Johannisstift.
The city of Halberstadt was 82 percent destroyed by bombing at the end of WWII. The degree of destruction of the Martini Church was also estimated at 80%.
From 1945 to 1954 St. Martini was restored. The main focus was on the restoration of the towers and the roof, which characterize the cityscape.
The nave
Halberstadt - St. Martini
22 Jun 2023 |
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
St. Martini was probably founded in the 10th century. It was first mentioned in 1186. The building is a five-bay Gothic hall church. The octagonal spires of different heights are connected by a covered bridge. The choir is associated with indulgences in the years 1267, 1274 and 1285. The west building was probably started before 1311, the date when the church was placed under the Johannisstift.
The city of Halberstadt was 82 percent destroyed by bombing at the end of WWII. The degree of destruction of the Martini Church was also estimated at 80%.
From 1945 to 1954 St. Martini was restored. The main focus was on the restoration of the towers and the roof, which characterize the cityscape.
Halberstadt - Dom zu Halberstadt
22 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The present-day cathedral was built between 1236/39 and 1491 in a Gothic style, inspired by the French Gothic cathedrals. In 1591 the Bishop of Halberstadt joined the Protestant Reformation, and the church has been used by the Protestant Church since. The cathedral was severely damaged in WWII, but has been restored in the decades after the war.
Eve and Adam flank the Tree of the Knowledge of good and evil
Halberstadt - Dom zu Halberstadt
21 Jun 2023 |
|
|
Through Charlemagne, the mission base here became a bishop's see in 804. The Bishop was granted market, minting and customs rights by King Otto III in 989. He held the secular power in the Harzgau and thus over the inhabitants of Halberstadt. The first cathedral was consecrated in 992.
By 1068, there was already an emerging merchant class, under which the city began to emancipate itself from control by the bishop's see around about 1105. In 1146, possibly the first Jews arrived in Halberstadt coming from Halle. In 1189 Jews persecuted during the Third Crusade reached the city. In 1261, the first episcopal letter of protection is documented for them.
Henry the Lion destroyed the city, cathedral and cathedral castle in 1179 in the course of a feud by setting a major fire. In 1199 the construction of the city wall is mentioned for the first time, which lasted until 1236. Between 1236 and 1239, the construction of the new cathedral began. In 1241, a town hall for the city is mentioned for the first time; moreover, the city already had its own seal at this time. In 1343 the Jews were attacked by the Counts of Mansfeld and Regenstein and fled, a decade later the new so-called "Judendorf" became the first closed Jewish settlement in the city.
The present-day cathedral was built between 1236/39 and 1491 in a Gothic style, inspired by the French Gothic cathedrals. In 1591 the Bishop of Halberstadt joined the Protestant Reformation, and the church has been used by the Protestant Church since. The cathedral was severely damaged in WWII, but has been restored in the decades after the war.
The winged altar from around 1480. In the center is the crucifixion with many figures, scenes from the life of Mary and the life of the two Johns on wings. On the predella an "Anna selbdritt" and seven male saints.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Halberstadt" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter