Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Melgaço

Melgaço - Igreja Matriz

23 Apr 2018 123
The town of Melgaço exists since the late 12th century. The Igreja Matriz was erected mid the 13th century and was named first "Igreja de Santa Maria da Porta", as it was located next to the portal of the medieval castle of Melgaço. The church still has Romanesque parts, but got remodeled and reconstructed many times over the centuries.

Melgaço - Igreja de São Salvador

23 Apr 2018 84
The Igreja de São Salvador (aka "Igreja de Paderne") is located in Paderne, now part of larger Melgaço. A monastery was founded here in 1130, sponsored by Paterna, a noble widow, who then joined the convent with her daughters. Later Augustine canons lived here until the monastery got dissolved in 1770. The church got reconstructed and remodeled a couple of times and now serves the parish. The church has two western portals, so that it seems first, that here are two churches side by side. Here is the left, smaller portal. This side of the church was used during funerals.

Melgaço - Igreja de São Salvador

23 Apr 2018 1 141
The Igreja de São Salvador (aka "Igreja de Paderne") is located in Paderne, now part of larger Melgaço. A monastery was founded here in 1130, sponsored by Paterna, a noble widow, who then joined the convent with her daughters. Later Augustine canons lived here until the monastery got dissolved in 1770. The church got reconstructed and remodeled a couple of times and now serves the parish. The church has two western portals, so that it seems first, that here are two churches side by side. Here is the larger, central portal, - seen in pouring rain. The archivolts have geometric patterns.

Melgaço - Igreja de São Salvador

22 Apr 2018 1 95
The Igreja de São Salvador (aka "Igreja de Paderne") is located in Paderne, now part of larger Melgaço. A monastery was founded here in 1130, sponsored by Paterna, a noble widow, who then joined the convent with her daughters. Later Augustine canons lived here until the monastery got dissolved in 1770. The church got reconstructed and remodeled a couple of times and now serves the parish. The church has two western portals, so that it seems first, that here are two churches side by side.