Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Foligno

Foligno - Abbazia di Sassovivo

07 Jul 2016 176
The "Abbazia di Sassovivo" is located on a mountain, about 6kms east of Foligno. The abbey was founded around 1070 on a site probably used already by the Umbri as sanctuary. The abbey gained power and prestige. In the 13th century it "controlled" 97 convents, 41 churches (even 1 in Rome) and 7 hospitals. Decline started in the 15th century. The abbey suffered during the Napoleonic Wars, and in 1860, after the fall of the Papal States, its properties were divided between the Italian state, the local bishopric and privates. Since 1979 the Community of the "Little Brothers of Jesus" live here. The crypt is the oldest part of the still existing structure, built by the first Benedictine monks arriving here end of the 10th century.

Foligno - Abbazia di Sassovivo

06 Jul 2016 205
The "Abbazia di Sassovivo" is located on a mountain, about 6kms east of Foligno. The abbey was founded around 1070 on a site probably used already by the Umbri as sanctuary. The abbey gained power and prestige. In the 13th century it "controlled" 97 convents, 41 churches (even 1 in Rome) and 7 hospitals. Decline started in the 15th century. The abbey suffered during the Napoleonic Wars, and in 1860, after the fall of the Papal States, its properties were divided between the Italian state, the local bishopric and privates. Since 1979 the Community of the "Little Brothers of Jesus" live here. The "Abbazia di Sassovivo" is known for its fantastic cloister with 58 arcades supported by a double order of 128 columns. It was created and signed by Pietro de Maria in 1229. This inscription is Pietro de Maria´s "signature" Hoc claustri opus egregium, | Quod decorat monasterium | Donnus abbas Angelus precepit \ Multo sumptu fieri et fecit \ A magistro Petro de Maria | Romano opere et mastria \ Anno Domini milleno \ Iuncto ei bis centeno | Nono quoque cum viceno. The wonderful and expensive cloister was commissioned by Abbas Angelos and created by Master Petro de Maria in Roman style (?) in 1229 The cloisters of "San Paolo fuori le Mura" and "San Giovanni in Laterano", where Nicolo Vassaletto, Petro de Maria´s collegue had worked are very similar. Some scholars believe, that the complete cloister seen here was produced in Rome - and the transported to this secluded abbey.

Foligno - Abbazia di Sassovivo

06 Jul 2016 208
The "Abbazia di Sassovivo" is located on a mountain, about 6kms east of Foligno. The abbey was founded around 1070 on a site probably used already by the Umbri as sanctuary. The abbey gained power and prestige. In the 13th century it "controlled" 97 convents, 41 churches (even 1 in Rome) and 7 hospitals. Decline started in the 15th century. The abbey suffered during the Napoleonic Wars, and in 1860, after the fall of the Papal States, its properties were divided between the Italian state, the local bishopric and privates. Since 1979 the Community of the "Little Brothers of Jesus" live here. The "Abbazia di Sassovivo" is known for its fantastic cloister created (and signed!) by Pietro de Maria (and his workshop) in 1229. One of the carvers here was Nicolo Vassaletto who as well worked in "San Paolo fuori le Mura" and "San Giovanni in Laterano". The cloister has a rectangular plan with 58 arcades supported by a double order of 128 columns

Foligno - Abbazia di Sassovivo

06 Jul 2016 173
The "Abbazia di Sassovivo" is located on a mountain, about 6kms east of Foligno. The abbey was founded around 1070 on a site probably used already by the Umbri as sanctuary. The abbey gained power and prestige. In the 13th century it "controlled" 97 convents, 41 churches (even 1 in Rome) and 7 hospitals. Decline started in the 15th century. The abbey suffered during the Napoleonic Wars, and in 1860, after the fall of the Papal States, its properties were divided between the Italian state, the local bishopric and privates. Since 1979 the Community of the "Little Brothers of Jesus" live here. The "Abbazia di Sassovivo" is known for its fantastic cloister created (and signed!) by Pietro de Maria (and his workshop) in 1229. One of the carvers here was Nicolo Vassaletto who as well worked in "San Paolo fuori le Mura" and "San Giovanni in Laterano". The cloister has a rectangular plan with 58 arcades supported by a double order of 128 columns

Foligno - Abbazia di Sassovivo

06 Jul 2016 182
The "Abbazia di Sassovivo" is located on a mountain, about 6kms east of Foligno. It abbey was founded around 1070 on a site probably used already by the Umbri as sanctuary. The abbey gained power and prestige. In the 13th century it "controlled" 97 convents, 41 churches (even 1 in Rome) and 7 hospitals. Decline started in the 15th century. The abbey suffered during the Napoleonic Wars, and in 1860, after the fall of the Papal States, its properties were divided between the Italian state, the local bishopric and privates. Since 1979 the Community of the "Little Brothers of Jesus" live here. The abbey-church was damaged by the earthquake in 1997. In January 2016 an excavation was underway to unearth the foundations of the Romanesque apse. The "Abbazia di Sassovivo" is known for its fantastic cloister - behind this heavy door.

Foligno - Abbazia di Sassovivo

06 Jul 2016 204
The "Abbazia di Sassovivo" is located on a mountain, about 6kms east of Foligno. It abbey was founded around 1070 on a site probably used in ancient times by the Umbri as sanctuary. The abbey gained power and prestige. In the 13th century it had 97 convents, 41 churches (even 1 in Rome) and 7 hospitals. Decay started in the 15th century. It suffered during the Napoleonic Wars, and in 1860, after the fall of the Papal States, its dependencies were divided between the Italian state, the local bishopric and privates. Since 1979 the Community of the "Little Brothers of Jesus" live here.

Foligno - Santa Maria Infraportas

06 Jul 2016 1 1 172
Foligno was an Umbrian settlement, taken over by the Romans in 295 BC and named "Fulginiae". After the fall of the Roman Empire it was part of the Duchy of Spoleto. In 881 it got sacked and looted by Saracens, in 915 and again in 924 it was ruined by Magyar troops. The survivers decided to move close to the "Civitas Sancti Feliciani", a strongly fortified church where Bishop and martyr Feliciano was buried. Thanks to Barbarossa it gained the status of free city in 1165. Siding first with the Guelph party, Foligno became Ghibelline later and was a rival of Perugia. Foligno changed hands often during the wars of the 13th century. From the the 14th century on the city flourished, controlling large territory. Foligno was part of the Papal States until 1860 (with only two short exceptions). Foligno has suffered from a major earthquake in 1997, some traces can still be found. "Santa Maria Infraportas" is even older than the "Cattedrale di San Feliciano". It dates back to the 11th century and is known for the frescoes inside. As a funeral service had just started, we did not enter.

Foligno - Cattedrale di San Feliciano

06 Jul 2016 4 1 205
Foligno was an Umbrian settlement, taken over by the Romans in 295 BC and named "Fulginiae". After the fall of the Roman Empire it was part of the Duchy of Spoleto. In 881 it got sacked and looted by Saracens, in 915 and again in 924 it was ruined by Magyar troops. The survivers decided to move close to the "Civitas Sancti Feliciani", a strongly fortified church where Bishop and martyr Feliciano was buried. Thanks to Barbarossa it gained the status of free city in 1165. Siding first with the Guelph party, Foligno became Ghibelline later and was a rival of Perugia. Foligno changed hands often during the wars of the 13th century. From the the 14th century on the city flourished, controlling large territory. Foligno was part of the Papal States until 1860 (with only two short exceptions). Foligno has suffered from a major earthquake in 1997, some traces can still be found. The "Cattedrale di San Feliciano" was built on the site of an earlier basilica ("Civitas Sancti Feliciani") 1133-1201. It is the seat of the Bishop of Foligno. The cathedral has two façades, the principal façade, facing the Piazza Grande, and the secondary façade facing the Piazza della Repubblica. This is a detail of the secondary façade, that has an elaborate portal. It is the work of the sculptors and architects Rodolfo and Binello from 1201. Depicted here is Emperor Frederick I (aka "Frederick Barbarossa"), who granted independence to Foligno in 1165.

Foligno - Cattedrale di San Feliciano

06 Jul 2016 178
Foligno was an Umbrian settlement, taken over by the Romans in 295 BC and named "Fulginiae". After the fall of the Roman Empire it was part of the Duchy of Spoleto. In 881 it got sacked and looted by Saracens, in 915 and again in 924 it was ruined by Magyar troops. The survivers decided to move close to the "Civitas Sancti Feliciani", a strongly fortified church where Bishop and martyr Feliciano was buried. Thanks to Barbarossa it gained the status of free city in 1165. Siding first with the Guelph party, Foligno became Ghibelline later and was a rival of Perugia. Foligno changed hands often during the wars of the 13th century. From the the 14th century on the city flourished, controlling large territory. Foligno was part of the Papal States until 1860 (with only two short exceptions). Foligno has suffered from a major earthquake in 1997, some traces can still be found. The "Cattedrale di San Feliciano" was built on the site of an earlier basilica ("Civitas Sancti Feliciani") 1133-1201. It is the seat of the Bishop of Foligno. The cathedral has two façades, the principal façade, facing the Piazza Grande, and the secondary façade facing the Piazza della Repubblica. This is a detail of the secondary façade, that has an elaborate portal. It is the work of the master sculptors and architects Rodolfo and Binello from 1201.

Foligno - Cattedrale di San Feliciano

06 Jul 2016 1 150
Foligno was an Umbrian settlement, taken over by the Romans in 295 BC and named "Fulginiae". After the fall of the Roman Empire it was part of the Duchy of Spoleto. In 881 it got sacked and looted by Saracens, in 915 and again in 924 it was ruined by Magyar troops. The survivers decided to move close to the "Civitas Sancti Feliciani", a strongly fortified church where Bishop and martyr Feliciano was buried. Thanks to Barbarossa it gained the status of free city in 1165. Siding first with the Guelph party, Foligno became Ghibelline later and was a rival of Perugia. Foligno changed hands often during the wars of the 13th century. From the the 14th century on the city flourished, controlling large territory. Foligno was part of the Papal States until 1860 (with only two short exceptions). Foligno has suffered from a major earthquake in 1997, some traces can still be found. The "Cattedrale di San Feliciano" was built on the site of an earlier basilica ("Civitas Sancti Feliciani") 1133-1201. It is the seat of the Bishop of Foligno. The cathedral has two façades, the principal façade, facing the Piazza Grande, and the secondary façade facing the Piazza della Repubblica. This is a detail of the secondary façade, that has an elaborate portal. It is the work of the master sculptors and architects Rodolfo and Binello from 1201.

Foligno - Cattedrale di San Feliciano

06 Jul 2016 1 1 199
Foligno was an Umbrian settlement, taken over by the Romans in 295 BC and named "Fulginiae". After the fall of the Roman Empire it was part of the Duchy of Spoleto. In 881 it got sacked and looted by Saracens, in 915 and again in 924 it was ruined by Magyar troops. The survivers decided to move close to the "Civitas Sancti Feliciani", a strongly fortified church where Bishop and martyr Feliciano was buried. Thanks to Barbarossa it gained the status of free city in 1165. Siding first with the Guelph party, Foligno became Ghibelline later and was a rival of Perugia. Foligno changed hands often during the wars of the 13th century. From the the 14th century on the city flourished, controlling large territory. Foligno was part of the Papal States until 1860 (with only two short exceptions). Foligno has suffered from a major earthquake in 1997, some traces can still be found. The "Cattedrale di San Feliciano" was built on the site of an earlier basilica ("Civitas Sancti Feliciani") 1133-1201. It is the seat of the Bishop of Foligno. The cathedral has two façades, the principal façade, facing the Piazza Grande, and the secondary façade facing the Piazza della Repubblica. This is a detail of the secondary façade, that has an elaborate portal It is the work of the master sculptors and architects Rodolfo and Binello from 1201.

Foligno - Cattedrale di San Feliciano

05 Jul 2016 224
Foligno was an Umbrian settlement, taken over by the Romans in 295 BC and named "Fulginiae". After the fall of the Roman Empire it was part of the Duchy of Spoleto. In 881 it got sacked and looted by Saracens, in 915 and again in 924 it was ruined by Magyar troops. The survivers decided to move close to the "Civitas Sancti Feliciani", a strongly fortified church where Bishop and martyr Feliciano was buried. Thanks to Barbarossa it gained the status of free city in 1165. Siding first with the Guelph party, Foligno became Ghibelline later and was a rival of Perugia. Foligno changed hands often during the wars of the 13th century. From the the 14th century on the city flourished, controlling large territory. Foligno was part of the Papal States until 1860 (with only two short exceptions). Foligno has suffered from a major earthquake in 1997, some traces can still be found. The "Cattedrale di San Feliciano" was built on the site of an earlier basilica ("Civitas Sancti Feliciani") 1133-1201. It is the seat of the Bishop of Foligno. The cathedral has two façades, the principal façade, facing the Piazza Grande, and the secondary façade facing the Piazza della Repubblica. This is the center of the secondary façade´s portal, that dates from 1201. It is the work of the master sculptors and architects Rodolfo and Binello. The zodiacs are on the inner archivolt, the next one has entangled vines (and grapes). The two outer archivolts consist out of nice "cosmatesque" mosaics. In the center are moon, stars and sun under an inscription of the keystone telling the onlookers, that "stars, sun, and moon reveal a time of purity”. Pope Innocent III had crowned Otto of Brunswick as Emperor Otto IV of the Holy Roman Empire in 1209. But this was not the begin of a "time of purity”. Otto IV broke all promises and commanded Innocent III to annul the Concordat of Worms. Innocent III promptly excommunicated Otto IV what triggered a pan European power game, that Otto IV lost, when his armee was beaten in the Battle of Bouvines in 1214. Otto IV was followed by Frederick II (aka "Stupor Mundi").

Foligno - Cattedrale di San Feliciano

05 Jul 2016 192
Foligno was an Umbrian settlement, taken over by the Romans in 295 BC and named "Fulginiae". After the fall of the Roman Empire it was part of the Duchy of Spoleto. In 881 it got sacked and looted by Saracens, in 915 and again in 924 it was ruined by Magyar troops. The survivers decided to move close to the "Civitas Sancti Feliciani", a strongly fortified church where Bishop and martyr Feliciano was buried. Thanks to Barbarossa it gained the status of free city in 1165. Siding first with the Guelph party, Foligno became Ghibelline later and was a rival of Perugia. Foligno changed hands often during the wars of the 13th century. From the the 14th century on the city flourished, controlling large territory. Foligno was part of the Papal States until 1860 (with only two short exceptions). Foligno has suffered from a major earthquake in 1997, some traces can still be found. The "Cattedrale di San Feliciano" was built on the site of an earlier basilica ("Civitas Sancti Feliciani") 1133-1201. It is the seat of the Bishop of Foligno. The cathedral has two façades, the principal façade, facing the Piazza Grande, and the secondary façade facing the Piazza della Repubblica. This is the center of the secondary façade. The portal dates from 1201. This is the work of the master sculptors and architects Rodolfo and Binello.

Foligno - Cattedrale di San Feliciano

05 Jul 2016 163
Foligno was an Umbrian settlement, taken over by the Romans in 295 BC and named "Fulginiae". After the fall of the Roman Empire it was part of the Duchy of Spoleto. In 881 it got sacked and looted by Saracens, in 915 and again in 924 it was ruined by Magyar troops. The survivers decided to move close to the "Civitas Sancti Feliciani", a strongly fortified church where Bishop and martyr Feliciano was buried. Thanks to Barbarossa it gained the status of free city in 1165. Siding first with the Guelph party, Foligno became Ghibelline later and was a rival of Perugia. Foligno changed hands often during the wars of the 13th century. From the the 14th century on the city flourished, controlling large territory. Foligno was part of the Papal States until 1860 (with only two short exceptions). Foligno has suffered from a major earthquake in 1997, some traces can still be found. The "Cattedrale di San Feliciano" was built on the site of an earlier basilica ("Civitas Sancti Feliciani") 1133-1201. It is the seat of the Bishop of Foligno. The cathedral has two façades, the principal façade, facing the Piazza Grande, and the secondary façade facing the Piazza della Repubblica. This is the secondary façade. The lower part and the portal date from 1201. This is the work of the master sculptors and architects Rodolfo and Binello. The upper part was completed in the 14th century. It was enlarged in the 15th century and restored to something resembling the original in 1904.

Foligno - Cattedrale di San Feliciano

05 Jul 2016 1 206
Foligno was an Umbrian settlement, taken over by the Romans in 295 BC and named "Fulginiae". After the fall of the Roman Empire it was part of the Duchy of Spoleto. In 881 it got sacked and looted by Saracens, in 915 and again in 924 it was ruined by Magyar troops. The survivers decided to move close to the "Civitas Sancti Feliciani", a strongly fortified church where Bishop and martyr Feliciano was buried. Thanks to Barbarossa it gained the status of free city in 1165. Siding first with the Guelph party, Foligno became Ghibelline later and was a rival of Perugia. Foligno changed hands often during the wars of the 13th century. From the the 14th century on the city flourished, controlling large territory. Foligno was part of the Papal States until 1860 (with only two short exceptions). Foligno has suffered from a major earthquake in 1997, some traces can still be found. The "Cattedrale di San Feliciano" was built on the site of an earlier basilica ("Civitas Sancti Feliciani") 1133-1201. It is the seat of the Bishop of Foligno. The cathedral has two façades, the principal façade, facing the Piazza Grande, and the secondary façade facing the Piazza della Repubblica. This is the principal façade from 1133. The upper tympanum is an addition from the 16th century. This façade was restored in 1904, when the mosaic in the tympanum was added.