Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Cattedrale di San Lorenzo

Alba - Duomo di Alba

17 Mar 2023 1 76
The town on the south bank of the Tanaro has been under Roman rule since 89 BC. It was a Roman municipium under the name Alba Pompeia. In the early Middle Ages, Alba was conquered by the Burgundians, the Lombards and later the Franks and suffered from the Saracen invasions. In the 12th century, Alba became a free comune and joined the Lombard League of Northern Italian Cities. Several monasteries and hospitals were built in the walled city area. It fell under the rule of the Gonzaga, was conquered and lost three times by Charles Emmanuel I and then fell into the power conflict between France and Spain. With the Peace of Cherasco (1631), Alba fell to the Savoy. Today Alba is world famous for the white truffles that grow here. The earliest structure have been built on the site at the end of the 5th century. A subsequent Romanesque structure was built on its ruins. The current structure originally dates to the first half of the 12th century but was reshaped. It was restructured into late Gothic architecture n the 15th century by bishop Andrea Novelli who arrived in Alba in 1484. The most important renovation dates to 1652 to repair the damage caused by earthquakes in 1626. The last major restoration was undertaken in the 19th century. St. Theobald (aka "Teobaldo Roggeri") was a shoemaker known for his simple lifestyle and dedication to the needs of the poor. He also worked also as a porter, carrying sacks of grain from place to place. Roggeri died in 1150 and was buried on an unmarked piece of land between the two churches of San Lorenzo and San Silvestro. His tomb became a place of pilgrimage and miracles, but after several decades his tomb darkened and was lost. His remains were rediscovered in 1429 by the Bishop of Alba and are now kept in Alba Cathedral. Here is the reliquary bust, made in 1430/1450. It was stolen from the cathedral in 1983 but was rediscovered in Minneapolis/USA in 2011 and returned to Alba a year later.

Alba - Duomo di Alba

17 Mar 2023 2 74
The town on the south bank of the Tanaro has been under Roman rule since 89 BC. It was a Roman municipium under the name Alba Pompeia. In the early Middle Ages, Alba was conquered by the Burgundians, the Lombards and later the Franks and suffered from the Saracen invasions. In the 12th century, Alba became a free comune and joined the Lombard League of Northern Italian Cities. Several monasteries and hospitals were built in the walled city area. It fell under the rule of the Gonzaga, was conquered and lost three times by Charles Emmanuel I and then fell into the power conflict between France and Spain. With the Peace of Cherasco (1631), Alba fell to the Savoy. Today Alba is world famous for the white truffles that grow here. The earliest structure have been built on the site at the end of the 5th century. A subsequent Romanesque structure was built on its ruins. The current structure originally dates to the first half of the 12th century but was reshaped. It was restructured into late Gothic architecture n the 15th century by bishop Andrea Novelli who arrived in Alba in 1484. The most important renovation dates to 1652 to repair the damage caused by earthquakes in 1626. The last major restoration was undertaken in the 19th century.

Alba - Duomo di Alba

17 Mar 2023 1 96
The town on the south bank of the Tanaro has been under Roman rule since 89 BC. It was a Roman municipium under the name Alba Pompeia. In the early Middle Ages, Alba was conquered by the Burgundians, the Lombards and later the Franks and suffered from the Saracen invasions. In the 12th century, Alba became a free comune and joined the Lombard League of Northern Italian Cities. Several monasteries and hospitals were built in the walled city area. It fell under the rule of the Gonzaga, was conquered and lost three times by Charles Emmanuel I and then fell into the power conflict between France and Spain. With the Peace of Cherasco (1631), Alba fell to the Savoy. Today Alba is world famous for the white truffles that grow here. The earliest structure have been built on the site at the end of the 5th century. A subsequent Romanesque structure was built on its ruins. The current structure originally dates to the first half of the 12th century but was reshaped. It was restructured into late Gothic architecture n the 15th century by bishop Andrea Novelli who arrived in Alba in 1484. The most important renovation dates to 1652 to repair the damage caused by earthquakes in 1626. The last major restoration was undertaken in the 19th century.

Perugia - Cattedrale di San Lorenzo

29 Jun 2016 1 142
Perugia was an Umbrian settlement on top of a mountain that became a Roman colonia around 250 BC. In 547 Totila´s Ostrogoth troops looted the city after a long siege. Legends tell, that Perugia´s bishop Herculanus, who negotiated with Totila in behalf of his folks, got beheaded by the Ostrogoths, making St. Herculanus (aka "Sant' Ercolano") to the city´s patron saint. In the 9th century, with the consent of the Carolingians, it passed under the popes. Within the 11th century gained independency. After a long conflict, in 1370 the city signed a treaty accepting a papal legate, but already 5 years later the vicar-general of the Papal States was expelled by a popular uprising. During the Italian Wars Perugia passed through many hands until Condottiero Braccio da Montone reached a concordance with the Papacy. It did not bring peace to the city, but led to the "Salt War" in 1540, that had started as a protest against paying new taxes on salt. The papal troops forced a surrender. Within a few years, more than hundred houses, as well as churches and monasteries were destroyed and used as building material to built an enormous fortress, the "Rocca Paolina". The fort was for centuries a symbol of oppressive papal rule. - The erection of the "Cattedrale di San Lorenzo" started in 1345. The building was completed in 1490. The most valuable relic here is the "Holy Ring" ("Santo Anello"), what is believed to be the wedding ring of Mary, given to her by Joseph. In 1473 this ring had been stolen from "San Francesco" in Chiusi by Wintherius, a monk from Mainz. On his way the monk got lost in dense fog around Perugia - and decided to hand over the "Holy Ring" to the cathedral. Neither troops, sent from Chiesi, could not recover the relic, nor did the Pope ruled in Chiusi´s favor. So the ring is still here, secured in a trunk with seven locks.

Viterbo - Cattedrale di San Lorenzo

18 Jun 2016 1 205
The Viterbo Cathedral, built on the site of an ancient temple of Hercules, was consecrated as a parish church in 1181, before 11 years later became a cathedral - and the center of a diocese. Within the 13th century the cathedral was part of the "Palazzo dei Papi", as from 1257 to 1281 Viterbo was the papal seat. Following the death of Pope Clement IV a conclave was held here. It took exactly 1005 days (from November 1268 to September 1271) and was the longest papal election in the history. During these years three of the twenty cardinals died, one of them resigned. The election od Pope Gregory X finally occurred more than a year after the magistrates of Viterbo locked the cardinals in and reduced their rations to bread and water. There is a legend telling, that the roof of the "Palazzo dei Papi" was removed, so that the cardinals had to stay under the open sky - and the Holy Spirit found a better entrance.

Viterbo - Cattedrale di San Lorenzo

18 Jun 2016 204
The Viterbo Cathedral, built on the site of an ancient temple of Hercules, was consecrated as a parish church in 1181, before 11 years later became a cathedral - and the center of a diocese. Within the 13th century the cathedral was part of the "Palazzo dei Papi", as from 1257 to 1281 Viterbo was the papal seat. Following the death of Pope Clement IV a conclave was held here. It took exactly 1005 days (from November 1268 to September 1271) and was the longest papal election in the history. During these years three of the twenty cardinals died, one of them resigned. The election od Pope Gregory X finally occurred more than a year after the magistrates of Viterbo locked the cardinals in and reduced their rations to bread and water. There is a legend telling, that the roof of the "Palazzo dei Papi" was removed, so that the cardinals had to stay under the open sky - and the Holy Spirit found a better entrance.

Viterbo - Cattedrale di San Lorenzo

18 Jun 2016 1 210
The Viterbo Cathedral, built on the site of an ancient temple of Hercules, was consecrated as a parish church in 1181, before 11 years later became a cathedral - and the center of a diocese. Within the 13th century the cathedral was part of the "Palazzo dei Papi", as from 1257 to 1281 Viterbo was the papal seat. Following the death of Pope Clement IV a conclave was held here. It took exactly 1005 days (from November 1268 to September 1271) and was the longest papal election in the history. During these years three of the twenty cardinals died, one of them resigned. The election od Pope Gregory X finally occurred more than a year after the magistrates of Viterbo locked the cardinals in and reduced their rations to bread and water. There is a legend telling, that the roof of the "Palazzo dei Papi" was removed, so that the cardinals had to stay under the open sky - and the Holy Spirit found a better entrance.