Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Flemish Region

Bruges - Sint-Donaaskathedraal

07 Mar 2016 193
Sint-Donaaskathedraal (= "St. Donatian's Cathedral"), located next to the "Burg" in the center of the historic city, was the largest church in Bruges. It was comissioned mid 10th century by Arnulf I, Count of Flanders, and was completed within the 13th century. Large parts of the church burnt down in 1184 and got replaced by a Romanesque structure that from 1559 was the see of the Bishop. In the aftermath of the French Revolution, the Diocese of Bruges got dissolved and the cathedral was sold as "biens nationaux" (National Property) and completely destroyed. Where the cathedral once was is now a luxury hotel. When it was built mid 1950s, the foundations of the cathedral were found - and can now be seen in the basement.

Bruges - Heilig-Bloedbasiliek

07 Mar 2016 182
In 1134 Diederik van de Elzas (= Thierry d'Alsace"), Count of Flanders, commissioned to erect a chapel next to the his residence "Oud Steen" (now the town hall of Bruges). The chapel was dedicated to Saint Basil the Great. The basilica consisted of a lower and upper chapel, as a second chapel was erected on top of the Saint Basil chapel. Diederik joined the Second Crusade in 1147 and - according to the tradition - returned to Bruges with the relic of the "Holy Blood", allegedly collected by Joseph of Arimathea. So during the first half of the 13th century, the name of the upper chapel was changed to the Chapel of the Holy Blood. This (upper) chapel got severely damaged after the French Revolution and got rebuilt and renovated during the 19th century, giving it a very "neo-Gothic" touch. Seen on this blurry photo is the phial, that contains the Holy Blood. Three days ago, on Ascension Day the relic was in the center of the "Heilig Bloedprocessie" (= "Procession of the Holy Blood"), a ceremony that dates back to the 13th century. www.holyblood.com/?lang=en

Bruges - Heilig-Bloedbasiliek

07 Mar 2016 1 247
In 1134 Diederik van de Elzas (= Thierry d'Alsace"), Count of Flanders, commissioned to erect a chapel next to the his residence "Oud Steen" (now the town hall of Bruges). The chapel was dedicated to Saint Basil the Great. The basilica consisted of a lower and upper chapel, as a second chapel was erected on top of the Saint Basil chapel. Diederik joined the Second Crusade in 1147 and - according to the tradition - returned to Bruges with the relic of the "Holy Blood", allegedly collected by Joseph of Arimathea. So during the first half of the 13th century, the name of the upper chapel was changed to the Chapel of the Holy Blood. This (upper) chapel got severely damaged after the French Revolution and got rebuilt and renovated during the 19th century, giving it a very "neo-Gothic" touch. As the phial, containing the Holy Blood is on display here, the chapel was overcrowded by people standing in line to see and venerate the relic. Seen next to the screen is an "Umbraculum" - a yellow/red umbrella. A symbol bestowed by Pope Pius XI when he elevated the church to the rank of a "Basilica Minor" in 1923. www.holyblood.com/?lang=en

Bruges - Heilig-Bloedbasiliek

07 Mar 2016 176
In 1134 Diederik van de Elzas (= Thierry d'Alsace"), Count of Flanders, commissioned to erect a chapel next to the his residence "Oud Steen" (now the town hall of Bruges). This Romanesque chapel, dedicated to Saint Basil the Great, one of the Cappadocian Fathers, is seen here. The basilica consisted of a lower and upper chapel, as a second chapel was erected on this one. Diederik joined the Second Crusade in 1147 and - according to the tradition - returned to Bruges with the relic of the "Holy Blood", allegedly collected by Joseph of Arimathea. So during the first half of the 13th century, the name of the upper chapel was changed to the Chapel of the Holy Blood.

Bruges - Heilig-Bloedbasiliek

07 Mar 2016 3 1 276
In 1134 Diederik van de Elzas (= Thierry d'Alsace"), Count of Flanders, commissioned to erect a chapel next to the his residence "Oud Steen" (now the town hall of Bruges). This Romanesque chapel, dedicated to Saint Basil the Great, one of the Cappadocian Fathers, is seen here. The basilica consisted of a lower and upper chapel, as a second chapel was erected on this one. Diederik joined the Second Crusade in 1147 and - according to the tradition - returned to Bruges with the relic of the "Holy Blood", allegedly collected by Joseph of Arimathea. So during the first half of the 13th century, the name of the upper chapel was changed to the Chapel of the Holy Blood.

Bruges - Grote Markt

07 Mar 2016 1 188
Bruges already had its city charter in 1128 and was a very important member of the Hanseatic League. It was the prospering center of the Flemish cloth industry. Most merchandise was punted on boats through the city. The large cog-ships were moored in the harbor. Between 1200 and 1500 Bruges had a kind of "Golden Era". Bruges was a leading European business community, - a large group of innovative and daring entrepreneurs. Bruges lost importance and declined over the next centuries. There was no need for new buildings - and so many houses of the historic city centre, meanwhile a World Heritage Site of UNESCO, date back to the "Golden Era". About 2.000.000 tourists visit Bruges annually. Back to the "Grote Markt". The house with the (neo-)gothic facade and the little spire is the "Cranenburg House", where in 1488 Archduke Maximilian of Austria, King of the Romans (later "Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor"), was imprisoned for about 5 months. During the War of the Burgundian Succession, revolts had rosen in the Flemish region. Maximilian had come to Bruges to negotiate, but the guilds of Bruges, who joined the revolt, were in arms and imprisoned him. A torture rack was brought to the market and Maximilian´s minister Pierre Lanchals (aka "Lankhals") was executed in front of the house. The pope excommunicated the rebels, Maximilian's father Frederick III raised an army that reached Flanders in April 1488. Maximilian made a deal with his captors. He was to relinquish the title "Count of Flanders", leaving control of the province in the hands of a government, in exchange for a yearly fee. But as soon as he had left Bruges, he broke the oath. The rebellion continued, but was finally crushed in 1492, when German troops, supported by an English fleet, blocked Bruges' trade routes and ports, what paralyzed the city's trade. Bruges and other Flemish cities were forced to accept Maximilian as regent.

Bruges - Steenstraat

07 Mar 2016 212
Bruges already had its city charter in 1128 and was a very important member of the Hanseatic League. It was the prospering center of the Flemish cloth industry. Most merchandise was punted on boats through the city. The large cog-ships were moored in the harbor. Between 1200 and 1500 Bruges had a kind of "Golden Era". Bruges was a leading European business community, - a large group of innovative and daring entrepreneurs. Bruges lost importance and declined over the next centuries. There was no need for new buildings - and so many houses of the historic city centre, meanwhile a World Heritage Site of UNESCO, date back to the "Golden Era". About 2.000.000 tourists visit Bruges annually, so it can get pretty crowded Here. The streets are decorated with banners flapping in the wind. Seen in the background is the Sint-Salvator Cathedral. The cathedral was a parish church until the 19th century. As the French revolutionary occupiers not only had kicked the bishop out of Bruges, but as well had teared down his residence the Sint-Donaaskathedraal in the late 18th century, this church obtained the status of a cathedral, when the bishop returned to Bruges in 1834.

Bruges - Sint-Salvatorskathedraal

06 Mar 2016 2 258
Bruges is sometimes referred to as "The Venice of the North". Bruges already had its city charter in 1128 and was a very important member of the Hanseatic League. It was the prospering center of the Flemish cloth industry. Most merchandise was punted on boats through the city. The large cog-ships were moored in the harbor. Between 1200 and 1500 Bruges had a kind of "Golden Era". Bruges was a leading European business community, - a large group of innovative and daring entrepreneurs. Seen in the background is the Sint-Salvator Cathedral. The cathedral was a parish church until the 19th century. As the French revolutionary occupiers not only had kicked the bishop out of Bruges, but as well had teared down his residence the Sint-Donaaskathedraal in the late 18th century, this church obtained the status of a cathedral, when the bishop returned to Bruges in 1834.

Bruges - Oud Sint-Janshospitaal

06 Mar 2016 1 180
Bruges already had its city charter in 1128 and was a very important member of the Hanseatic League. It was the prospering center of the Flemish cloth industry. Most merchandise was punted on boats through the city. The large cog-ships were moored in the harbor. Between 1200 and 1500 Bruges had a kind of "Golden Era". Bruges was a leading European business community, - a large group of innovative and daring entrepreneurs. The building seen in front is part of the "Oud Sint-Janshospitaal" (= "Old St. John's Hospital"), one of the oldest hospital buildings in Europe. Founded in the 11th-century the hospital was later expanded with the building of a monastery and convent.

Bruges - Canal

06 Mar 2016 2 220
Bruges is sometimes referred to as "The Venice of the North". Bruges already had its city charter in 1128 and was a very important member of the Hanseatic League. It was the prospering center of the Flemish cloth industry. Most merchandise was punted on boats through the city. The large cog-ships were moored in the harbor. Between 1200 and 1500 Bruges had a kind of "Golden Era". Bruges was a leading European business community, - a large group of innovative and daring entrepreneurs. There are still lots of boats on the canals, but now the boats are filled with tourists. Each boat is equipped with umbrellas, so that even during some drizzle, the passengers are well protected. The captain of the boat in the foreground prefered purple umbrellas, while his colleague had bought dark-green ones. Seen in the background is the tower of "Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk" (= "Church of Our Lady"). It is, at 122 metres in height, the second tallest brickwork tower in the world.

Bruges - Canal

06 Mar 2016 178
Bruges is sometimes referred to as "The Venice of the North". Bruges already had its city charter in 1128 and was a very important member of the Hanseatic League. It was the prospering center of the Flemish cloth industry. Most merchandise was punted on boats through the city. The large cog-ships were moored in the harbor. Between 1200 and 1500 Bruges had a kind of "Golden Era". Bruges was a leading European business community, - a large group of innovative and daring entrepreneurs. There are still lots of boats on the canals, but now the boats are filled with tourists. Seen in the background is the tower of "Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk" (= "Church of Our Lady"). It is, at 122 metres in height, the second tallest brickwork tower in the world.

Bruges - Canal

06 Mar 2016 3 1 250
Bruges is sometimes referred to as "The Venice of the North". Bruges already had its city charter in 1128, and was a very important member of the Hanseatic League. It was the prospering center of the Flemish cloth industry. Most merchandise was punted on boats through the city. The large cog-ships were moored in the harbor. Between 1200 and 1500 Bruges had a kind of "Golden Era". Bruges was a leading European business community, - a large group of innovative and daring entrepreneurs. The canals are still filled with boats, but now the boats are filled with tourists. I was patient - and so could take a shot of the most photographed willow in Belgium with no boat in front of it.

Bruges - Belfry

05 Mar 2016 3 1 243
The "Belfry of Bruges" is a medieval tower in the centre of Bruges. The belfry was erected around 1240. It caught fire in 1280, but got immediately rebuilt. At that time Bruges was an important member of the Hanseatic League and prospered being the center of the Flemish cloth industry. At that time the belfry housed the treasury and the municipal archives. Of course it served as well as an observation post for spotting fires. Between 1484 and 1487 the octagonal upper stage was added - and for about three centuries the belfry was even higher, - topped by a wooden spire, that burnt down twice and was not replaced finally. A staircase leads to the top of the 83 m high building, many people will remember the belfry (and the narrow staircase inside) from the 2008 film "In Bruges".

Antwerp - Het Steen

05 Mar 2016 2 1 232
A fortress had been built here just after the first Viking raids, to control the access to the Scheldt river. It was known under the name "Burcht", but the name changed to "Het Steen" (steen = stone) after a rebuilding under Charles V (born 1500 in nearby Ghent). Between 1303 and 1827 the fortress was mainly used as a prison. During the 19th century most buildings got demolished. The surviving parts got restored and now host a museum.

Antwerp - Grote Markt

05 Mar 2016 193
Tourists stroll around the "Grote Markt" to marvel the guildhalls, elaborate, ornate buildings, demonstrating the guild's wealth and status.

Antwerp - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal

04 Mar 2016 2 225
The "Cathedral of Our Lady" (= "Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal") is the see of the Diocese of Antwerp. The building of the cathedral started in 1352 and the first stage of construction was ended in 1521, when the church got consecrated. In 1533 the new church caught fire and got severyl damaged. Protestants raided the church in 1566. Many treasures, that had survived the iconoclastic fever got removed and sold, when Antwerp came under Protestant administration in 1581. After French revolutionaries conquered Anwerp 1794, the church was used as a stable. In 1798 the French administration intended to demolish the building. Time changed and within the 19th century the church was restored and refurnished. The cathedral´s spire is 123 metres high!

Antwerp - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal

04 Mar 2016 258
The "Cathedral of Our Lady" (= "Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal") is the see of the Diocese of Antwerp. The building of the cathedral started in 1352 and the first stage of construction was ended in 1521, when the church got consecrated. In 1533 the new church caught fire and got severyl damaged. Protestants raided the church in 1566. Many treasures, that had survived the iconoclastic fever got removed and sold, when Antwerp came under Protestant administration in 1581. After French revolutionaries conquered Anwerp 1794, the church was used as a stable. In 1798 the French administration intended to demolish the building. Time changed and within the 19th century the church was restored and refurnished. www.dekathedraal.be/en

Antwerp - Boerentoren

04 Mar 2016 1 223
One of Europe's first skyscrapers, the "Boerentoren", designed by Jan Van Hoenacker, was constructed between 1929 and 1932. With a height of 87,5 m. It was the tallest building on the continent by roof height until in 1940. In 1976, the roof of the tower was raised by 8,30 m, so the current roof height is 95,8 m. In Antwerp only the tower of the cathedral is higher.

19 items in total