Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: West Yorkshire

Ilkley - All Saints

26 May 2024 1 54
The remains of a Roman fort occupy a site near the town centre. A church existed already in 627 AD. The Domesday Book records Ilkley as being in the possession of William de Percy. The land was acquired by the Middelton family of Myddelton Lodge, from about a century after the time of William the Conqueror. The church is built on the site of the Roman fort, two Roman altars have been discovered built into the tower. Three 8th-century Anglo-Saxon stone crosses, now incomplete, used to be in the churchyard but are now inside. The earliest part of the church is the 13th century south doorway. The nave of the church dates back to the 14th century while the tower is of 15th century construction. The church was extended and restored in the 19th century. These three Anglo-Saxon crosses, which stood in the churchyard of All Saints' Church, were moved inwards to prevent erosion. The smallest cross (left) probably dates from the 8th century and the other two from the first half of the 9th century. The head of the large cross dates from the same period, but did not belong to it. It was found in the River Wharfe in 1884. A detail of the large cross.

Ilkley - All Saints

26 May 2024 1 70
The remains of a Roman fort occupy a site near the town centre. A church existed already in 627 AD. The Domesday Book records Ilkley as being in the possession of William de Percy. The land was acquired by the Middelton family of Myddelton Lodge, from about a century after the time of William the Conqueror. The church is built on the site of the Roman fort, two Roman altars have been discovered built into the tower. Three 8th-century Anglo-Saxon stone crosses, now incomplete, used to be in the churchyard but are now inside. The earliest part of the church is the 13th century south doorway. The nave of the church dates back to the 14th century while the tower is of 15th century construction. The church was extended and restored in the 19th century. These three Anglo-Saxon crosses, which stood in the churchyard of All Saints' Church, were moved inwards to prevent erosion. The smallest cross (left) probably dates from the 8th century and the other two from the first half of the 9th century. The head of the large cross dates from the same period, but did not belong to it. It was found in the River Wharfe in 1884. A detail of the small cross on the right. Hares? Dog?

Ilkley - All Saints

26 May 2024 3 84
The remains of a Roman fort occupy a site near the town centre. A church existed already in 627 AD. The Domesday Book records Ilkley as being in the possession of William de Percy. The land was acquired by the Middelton family of Myddelton Lodge, from about a century after the time of William the Conqueror. The church is built on the site of the Roman fort, two Roman altars have been discovered built into the tower. Three 8th-century Anglo-Saxon stone crosses, now incomplete, used to be in the churchyard but are now inside. The earliest part of the church is the 13th century south doorway. The nave of the church dates back to the 14th century while the tower is of 15th century construction. The church was extended and restored in the 19th century. These three Anglo-Saxon crosses, which stood in the churchyard of All Saints' Church, were moved inwards to prevent erosion. The smallest cross (left) probably dates from the 8th century and the other from the first half of the 9th century. The head of the large cross dates from the same period, but did not belong to it. It was found in the River Wharfe in 1884.

Ilkley - All Saints

26 May 2024 4 1 78
The remains of a Roman fort occupy a site near the town centre. A church existed already in 627 AD. The Domesday Book records Ilkley as being in the possession of William de Percy. The land was acquired by the Middelton family of Myddelton Lodge, from about a century after the time of William the Conqueror. The church is built on the site of the Roman fort, two Roman altars have been discovered built into the tower. Three 8th-century Anglo-Saxon stone crosses, now incomplete, used to be in the churchyard but are now inside. The earliest part of the church is the 13th century south doorway. The nave of the church dates back to the 14th century while the tower is of 15th century construction. The church was extended and restored in the 19th century.

Ilkley - All Saints

26 May 2024 3 74
The remains of a Roman fort occupy a site near the town centre. A church existed already in 627 AD. The Domesday Book records Ilkley as being in the possession of William de Percy. The land was acquired by the Middelton family of Myddelton Lodge, from about a century after the time of William the Conqueror. The church is built on the site of the Roman fort, two Roman altars have been discovered built into the tower. Three 8th-century Anglo-Saxon stone crosses, now incomplete, used to be in the churchyard but are now inside. The earliest part of the church is the 13th century south doorway. The nave of the church dates back to the 14th century while the tower is of 15th century construction. The church was extended and restored in the 19th century.

Ilkley - All Saints

26 May 2024 1 77
The remains of a Roman fort occupy a site near the town centre. A church existed already in 627 AD. The Domesday Book records Ilkley as being in the possession of William de Percy. The land was acquired by the Middelton family of Myddelton Lodge, from about a century after the time of William the Conqueror. The church is built on the site of the Roman fort, two Roman altars have been discovered built into the tower. Three 8th-century Anglo-Saxon stone crosses, now incomplete, used to be in the churchyard but are now inside. The earliest part of the church is the 13th century south doorway. The nave of the church dates back to the 14th century while the tower is of 15th century construction. The church was extended and restored in the 19th century.

Otley - The Black Bull

26 May 2024 3 48
The early development of Otley dates back largely to Saxon times. It was part of an extensive estate that King Athelstan transferred to the Bishopric of York. The Archbishops of York owned a residence and were the lords of the manor. After the Norman Conquest, the Saxon church was replaced by a Norman church. The town grew in the first half of the 13th century when the archbishops granted free plots of land to attract merchants and craftsmen. The market, which already existed back then, is still held weekly today. The Battle of Marston Moor was fought on 2 July 1644. The combined forces of the English Parliamentarians and the Scottish Covenanters defeated the Royalists.

Otley - All Saints

25 May 2024 3 66
The early development of Otley dates back largely to Saxon times. It was part of an extensive estate that King Athelstan transferred to the Bishopric of York. The Archbishops of York owned a residence and were the lords of the manor. After the Norman Conquest, the Saxon church was replaced by a Norman church. The town grew in the first half of the 13th century when the archbishops granted free plots of land to attract merchants and craftsmen. The market, which already existed back then, is still held weekly today. The choir, the nave and the transept were completed by 1240. As the number of citizens increased, the two side aisles were added in 1490-1520. The "purple haze" must be a very recent addition.

Otley - All Saints

25 May 2024 1 49
The early development of Otley dates back largely to Saxon times. It was part of an extensive estate that King Athelstan transferred to the Bishopric of York. The Archbishops of York owned a residence and were the lords of the manor. After the Norman Conquest, the Saxon church was replaced by a Norman church. The town grew in the first half of the 13th century when the archbishops granted free plots of land to attract merchants and craftsmen. The market, which already existed back then, is still held weekly today. The chancel, nave and transept were completed by 1240.

Otley - Top Dry Cleaners

25 May 2024 1 56
The early development of Otley dates back largely to Saxon times. It was part of an extensive estate that King Athelstan transferred to the Bishopric of York. The Archbishops of York owned a residence and were the lords of the manor. After the Norman Conquest, the Saxon church was replaced by a Norman church. The town grew in the first half of the 13th century when the archbishops granted free plots of land to attract merchants and craftsmen. The market, which already existed back then, is still held weekly today. I actually do prefer coin laundries while travelling, but the Top Dry Cleaners here did an excellent job.

Ledsham - All Saints

25 May 2024 6 2 55
The village of Ledsham is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Ledesha and belonged to Ilbert de Lacy. It is thought that there was a church in Ledsham as early as the eighth century, long before the Norman Conquest, and elements of the present parish church have been dated to the Anglo-Saxon period. Sometime in the 12th century, the church was donated by the de Lacey family to the priory in Pontefract (10 kilometres to the south). The Norman/Romanesque belfry has a Perpendecular/Gothic spire and stands on an Anglo Saxon base. This may be the oldest still standing building in West Yorkshire.

Ledsham - All Saints

25 May 2024 2 82
The village of Ledsham is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Ledesha and belonged to Ilbert de Lacy. It is thought that there was a church in Ledsham as early as the eighth century, long before the Norman Conquest, and elements of the present parish church have been dated to the Anglo-Saxon period. Sometime in the 12th century, the church was donated by the de Lacey family to the priory in Pontefract (10 kilometres to the south). The Norman/Romanesque belfry has a Perpendecular/Gothic spire and stands on an Anglo Saxon base. The portal is Norman. This may be the oldest still standing building in West Yorkshire.

Ledsham - All Saints

25 May 2024 1 68
The village of Ledsham is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Ledesha and belonged to Ilbert de Lacy. It is thought that there was a church in Ledsham as early as the eighth century, long before the Norman Conquest, and elements of the present parish church have been dated to the Anglo-Saxon period. Sometime in the 12th century, the church was donated by the de Lacey family to the priory in Pontefract (10 kilometres to the south). The Norman/Romanesque belfry has a Perpendecular/Gothic spire and stands on an Anglo Saxon base. This may be the oldest still standing building in West Yorkshire.