Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Laramière
Laramière - Prieuré Notre-Dame
16 Mar 2021 |
|
|
One of the many "chemins" to Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle passed through La Ramière. So a Commandery was built in the 11th century for growing numbers of pilgrims.
In 1145, the monk Bertrand de Civray (aka Bertrand de Griffeules), founded a priory here, that he, before his death (~1169), handed over to the Augustinian canons of the Notre-Dame de La Couronne abbey near Angoulême. As the old priory was rather small, the canons built a new monastery in the 13th century. The priory was prosperous until the Hundred Years War. In 1347, English troops occupied and looted the site. The English were driven out in 1368 by the order of King Charles V. Between 1381 and 1385, marauding troops commanded by Lord Ratier de Belfort attacked the priory.
The priory was heavily damaged, but the monastic life continued. In 1588 the site was taken by Protestant troops, who are driven out ten years later by the Seneschal of Rouergue, Antoine de Bournazel. At that time, the monastery was ruined, the canons abandoned it shortly after.
Jesuits used the priory from 1661, until their departure in 1762.
In 1793, the priory was sold as a national property. Since then it is private property.
Laramière - Prieuré Notre-Dame
16 Mar 2021 |
|
|
One of the many "chemins" to Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle passed through La Ramière. So a Commandery was built in the 11th century for growing numbers of pilgrims.
In 1145, the monk Bertrand de Civray (aka Bertrand de Griffeules), founded a priory here, that he, before his death (~1169), handed over to the Augustinian canons of the Notre-Dame de La Couronne abbey near Angoulême. As the old priory was rather small, the canons built a new monastery in the 13th century. The priory was prosperous until the Hundred Years War. In 1347, English troops occupied and looted the site. The English were driven out in 1368 by the order of King Charles V. Between 1381 and 1385, marauding troops commanded by Lord Ratier de Belfort attacked the priory.
The priory was heavily damaged, but the monastic life continued. In 1588 the site was taken by Protestant troops, who are driven out ten years later by the Seneschal of Rouergue, Antoine de Bournazel. At that time, the monastery was ruined, the canons abandoned it shortly after.
Jesuits used the priory from 1661, until their departure in 1762.
In 1793, the priory was sold as a national property. Since then it is private property.
Laramière - Prieuré Notre-Dame
16 Mar 2021 |
|
|
One of the many "chemins" to Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle passed through La Ramière. So a Commandery was built in the 11th century for growing numbers of pilgrims.
In 1145, the monk Bertrand de Civray (aka Bertrand de Griffeules), founded a priory here, that he, before his death (~1169), handed over to the Augustinian canons of the Notre-Dame de La Couronne abbey near Angoulême. As the old priory was rather small, the canons built a new monastery in the 13th century. The priory was prosperous until the Hundred Years War. In 1347, English troops occupied and looted the site. The English were driven out in 1368 by the order of King Charles V. Between 1381 and 1385, marauding troops commanded by Lord Ratier de Belfort attacked the priory.
The priory was heavily damaged, but the monastic life continued. In 1588 the site was taken by Protestant troops, who are driven out ten years later by the Seneschal of Rouergue, Antoine de Bournazel. At that time, the monastery was ruined, the canons abandoned it shortly after.
Jesuits used the priory from 1661, until their departure in 1762.
In 1793, the priory was sold as a national property. Since then it is private property.
Laramière - Prieuré
20 Dec 2015 |
|
|
|
Bertrand de Griffeuille was a wandering hermit, who over decades of wandering around, founded a number of convents between the Auvergne and the Quercy. In 1145, he founded this convent. 10 years later it had developed into a priory dependent on the Augustinian Abbey in La Couronne (Charente).
At that time pilgrims following the Via Podiensis stopped here, but after the body of legendary Saint Amadour had been found by monks (1166), most pilgrims walked via Rocamadour.
The priory got fortified - but did suffer during the Hundred Years´ War, when it got sacked. During the Wars of Religion Calvinist troops conquered the place. In 1661 Jesuits settled here, but in 1762 this order got banned and had to move. After the French Revolution the buildings were sold - and since then are private property. Tours are offered over the summer, but I did not have the time to wait..
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Laramière" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter