Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Peterskirche
Riga - Svētā Pētera baznīca
25 Dec 2021 |
|
Riga is the capital of Latvia. With a population of more than 600.000 about a third of all Latvians live here. A settlement of the Finno-Ugric Livs existed on the bank of the Düna. At the end of the 12th century, merchants from Gotland came to trade here.
Albert von Buxthoeven, a fierce missionary, was the first bishop in Riga from 1201 to 1229. Riga developed as the hub of Russian trade and the starting point of the German colonization of the Baltic.
The merchants who settled here after the subjugation of the surrounding peoples rapidly gained influence. In 1225, they were able to elect the city bailiff themselves, when the City Council existed already.
After the Reformation, the power of the archbishops came to an end. After the outbreak of the Livonian War in 1558 the city favoured the status of a free imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire. It was only when the imperial support failed to materialize that the renewed advance of Russian armies led the city to pay homage to Poland's King Stephen Báthory in 1581, who in return confirmed the city's traditional freedoms and privileges.
The 40-year Polish-Lithuanian rule, under which the citizens of Riga successfully resisted anti-Reformation efforts ended with the conquest of the city by Gustav II Adolf of Sweden in 1621. The Swedish crown treated Riga by its rank as the second-largest city in the kingdom and had it lavishly fortified. During the Russo-Swedish War (1656-1658), Riga withstood the Russian siege and maintained its position as one of the most important cities in Sweden until the beginning of the 18th century. During this period the city enjoyed extensive self-government.
The Svētā Pētera baznīca (St. Peter´s church) was first mentioned in 1209 and served as a place of worship and meeting place for the community, consisting of Hanseatic merchants and the craftsmen's guilds. The oldest preserved parts today are in the high choir. This area was enlarged to 30 meters in height between 1406 and 1409 according to the taste of the time. The citizens were in constant dispute with the Riga archbishops over the exercise of power in the city. This had an influence on this church reconstruction, for political reasons the building work had to be stopped until 1456. It was not until 1473 that the chancel could be completed. In competition with the cathedral, the seat of the archbishop, a far more magnificent church was to be built here. The further expansion of St. Peter's Church was completed with the tower in 1491.
On the walls the baroque coats of arms of local nobles. Here are two of them.
Riga - Svētā Pētera baznīca
25 Dec 2021 |
|
|
Riga is the capital of Latvia. With a population of more than 600.000 about a third of all Latvians live here. A settlement of the Finno-Ugric Livs existed on the bank of the Düna. At the end of the 12th century, merchants from Gotland came to trade here.
Albert von Buxthoeven, a fierce missionary, was the first bishop in Riga from 1201 to 1229. Riga developed as the hub of Russian trade and the starting point of the German colonization of the Baltic.
The merchants who settled here after the subjugation of the surrounding peoples rapidly gained influence. In 1225, they were able to elect the city bailiff themselves, when the City Council existed already.
After the Reformation, the power of the archbishops came to an end. After the outbreak of the Livonian War in 1558 the city favoured the status of a free imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire. It was only when the imperial support failed to materialize that the renewed advance of Russian armies led the city to pay homage to Poland's King Stephen Báthory in 1581, who in return confirmed the city's traditional freedoms and privileges.
The 40-year Polish-Lithuanian rule, under which the citizens of Riga successfully resisted anti-Reformation efforts ended with the conquest of the city by Gustav II Adolf of Sweden in 1621. The Swedish crown treated Riga by its rank as the second-largest city in the kingdom and had it lavishly fortified. During the Russo-Swedish War (1656-1658), Riga withstood the Russian siege and maintained its position as one of the most important cities in Sweden until the beginning of the 18th century. During this period the city enjoyed extensive self-government.
The Svētā Pētera baznīca (St. Peter´s church) was first mentioned in 1209 and served as a place of worship and meeting place for the community, consisting of Hanseatic merchants and the craftsmen's guilds. The oldest preserved parts today are in the high choir. This area was enlarged to 30 meters in height between 1406 and 1409 according to the taste of the time. The citizens were in constant dispute with the Riga archbishops over the exercise of power in the city. This had an influence on this church reconstruction, for political reasons the building work had to be stopped until 1456. It was not until 1473 that the chancel could be completed. In competition with the cathedral, the seat of the archbishop, a far more magnificent church was to be built here. The further expansion of St. Peter's Church was completed with the tower in 1491.
On the walls the baroque coats of arms of local nobles.
Riga - Svētā Pētera baznīca
25 Dec 2021 |
|
|
Riga is the capital of Latvia. With a population of more than 600.000 about a third of all Latvians live here. A settlement of the Finno-Ugric Livs existed on the bank of the Düna. At the end of the 12th century, merchants from Gotland came to trade here.
Albert von Buxthoeven, a fierce missionary, was the first bishop in Riga from 1201 to 1229. Riga developed as the hub of Russian trade and the starting point of the German colonization of the Baltic.
The merchants who settled here after the subjugation of the surrounding peoples rapidly gained influence. In 1225, they were able to elect the city bailiff themselves, when the City Council existed already.
After the Reformation, the power of the archbishops came to an end. After the outbreak of the Livonian War in 1558 the city favoured the status of a free imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire. It was only when the imperial support failed to materialize that the renewed advance of Russian armies led the city to pay homage to Poland's King Stephen Báthory in 1581, who in return confirmed the city's traditional freedoms and privileges.
The 40-year Polish-Lithuanian rule, under which the citizens of Riga successfully resisted anti-Reformation efforts ended with the conquest of the city by Gustav II Adolf of Sweden in 1621. The Swedish crown treated Riga by its rank as the second-largest city in the kingdom and had it lavishly fortified. During the Russo-Swedish War (1656-1658), Riga withstood the Russian siege and maintained its position as one of the most important cities in Sweden until the beginning of the 18th century. During this period the city enjoyed extensive self-government.
The Svētā Pētera baznīca (St. Peter´s church) was first mentioned in 1209 and served as a place of worship and meeting place for the community, consisting of Hanseatic merchants and the craftsmen's guilds. The oldest preserved parts today are in the high choir. This area was enlarged to 30 meters in height between 1406 and 1409 according to the taste of the time. The citizens were in constant dispute with the Riga archbishops over the exercise of power in the city. This had an influence on this church reconstruction, for political reasons the building work had to be stopped until 1456. It was not until 1473 that the chancel could be completed. In competition with the cathedral, the seat of the archbishop, a far more magnificent church was to be built here. The further expansion of St. Peter's Church was completed with the tower in 1491.
Riga - Svētā Pētera baznīca
24 Dec 2021 |
|
|
|
Riga is the capital of Latvia. With a population of more than 600.000 about a third of all Latvians live here. A settlement of the Finno-Ugric Livs existed on the bank of the Düna. At the end of the 12th century, merchants from Gotland came to trade here.
Albert von Buxthoeven, a fierce missionary, was the first bishop in Riga from 1201 to 1229. Riga developed as the hub of Russian trade and the starting point of the German colonization of the Baltic.
The merchants who settled here after the subjugation of the surrounding peoples rapidly gained influence. In 1225, they were able to elect the city bailiff themselves, when the City Council existed already.
After the Reformation, the power of the archbishops came to an end. After the outbreak of the Livonian War in 1558 the city favoured the status of a free imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire. It was only when the imperial support failed to materialize that the renewed advance of Russian armies led the city to pay homage to Poland's King Stephen Báthory in 1581, who in return confirmed the city's traditional freedoms and privileges.
The 40-year Polish-Lithuanian rule, under which the citizens of Riga successfully resisted anti-Reformation efforts ended with the conquest of the city by Gustav II Adolf of Sweden in 1621. The Swedish crown treated Riga by its rank as the second-largest city in the kingdom and had it lavishly fortified. During the Russo-Swedish War (1656-1658), Riga withstood the Russian siege and maintained its position as one of the most important cities in Sweden until the beginning of the 18th century. During this period the city enjoyed extensive self-government.
The Svētā Pētera baznīca (St. Peter´s church) was first mentioned in 1209 and served as a place of worship and meeting place for the community, consisting of Hanseatic merchants and the craftsmen's guilds. The oldest preserved parts today are in the high choir. This area was enlarged to 30 meters in height between 1406 and 1409 according to the taste of the time. The citizens were in constant dispute with the Riga archbishops over the exercise of power in the city. This had an influence on this church reconstruction, for political reasons the building work had to be stopped until 1456. It was not until 1473 that the chancel could be completed. In competition with the cathedral, the seat of the archbishop, a far more magnificent church was to be built here. The further expansion of St. Peter's Church was completed with the tower in 1491.
Lindau - Peterskirche
19 Jan 2021 |
|
Lindau, located near the borders to Austria and Switzerland, was mentioned first time in 882 when a nunnery was founded here. The old town is on an island, which meanwhile is connected with the mainland by a road bridge and a railway dam.
The church of St. Stephan was built around 1180, Franciscans founded a monastery here in 1224. In 1274/75 Lindau became an Imperial Free City under King Rudolf I.
Lindau became Protestant in 1528. The nunnery remained Catholic while the Franciscan monastery, from which the first Reformation preachers came, was closed. During the Thirty Years' War, Lindau was unsuccessfully besieged by Swedish troops in 1646/47. Between 1445 and 1761, 18 people were indicted in witch trials in Lindau. The last victim of the witch hunt was Maria Madlener, who was executed on August 4, 1730.
The construction of the church started around 1000 in the centre of an early fishing settlement hence the Petrus patronage, the saint is the patron saint of fishermen.
St. Peter lost its importance after the completion of St. Stephan, the new parish church on the island in 1180. The building was used by a Beguine-like convent, dedicated to the care of the sick. Already within the 16th century the church got profaned and was used as a storage.
In the beginning of the 20th century wood and coal was stored here. Since 1928 the former church is a war memorial.
The murals were rediscovered in 1849. A first restoraten was undertaken in 1921, when all post-Reformation fixtures and extensions got removed.
In the centre of the apse is a younger "Coronation of Mary", seen above is Christ judging. He sends the believers to the left side, where they are awaiting everlasting bliss, while all others are sent to the right side, where they are awaited by devils, who look like hares (just like in Conque and Koenigslutter). They are pushed into the hell´s mouth and will go to everlasting condemnation.
Lindau - Peterskirche
19 Jan 2021 |
|
|
Lindau, located near the borders to Austria and Switzerland, was mentioned first time in 882 when a nunnery was founded here. The old town is on an island, which meanwhile is connected with the mainland by a road bridge and a railway dam.
The church of St. Stephan was built around 1180, Franciscans founded a monastery here in 1224. In 1274/75 Lindau became an Imperial Free City under King Rudolf I.
Lindau became Protestant in 1528. The nunnery remained Catholic while the Franciscan monastery, from which the first Reformation preachers came, was closed. During the Thirty Years' War, Lindau was unsuccessfully besieged by Swedish troops in 1646/47. Between 1445 and 1761, 18 people were indicted in witch trials in Lindau. The last victim of the witch hunt was Maria Madlener, who was executed on August 4, 1730.
The construction of the church started around 1000 in the centre of an early fishing settlement hence the Petrus patronage, the saint is the patron saint of fishermen.
St. Peter lost its importance after the completion of St. Stephan, the new parish church on the island in 1180. The building was used by a Beguine-like convent, dedicated to the care of the sick. Already within the 16th century the church got profaned and was used as a storage.
In the beginning of the 20th century wood and coal was stored here. Since 1928 the former church is a war memorial.
The murals were rediscovered in 1849. A first restoraten was undertaken in 1921, when all post-Reformation fixtures and extensions got removed.
The representation of St. Christopher probably dates from the early 14th century. It is only preserved in fragments.
Lindau - Peterskirche
19 Jan 2021 |
|
Lindau, located near the borders to Austria and Switzerland, was mentioned first time in 882 when a nunnery was founded here. The old town is on an island, which meanwhile is connected with the mainland by a road bridge and a railway dam.
The church of St. Stephan was built around 1180, Franciscans founded a monastery here in 1224. In 1274/75 Lindau became an Imperial Free City under King Rudolf I.
Lindau became Protestant in 1528. The nunnery remained Catholic while the Franciscan monastery, from which the first Reformation preachers came, was closed. During the Thirty Years' War, Lindau was unsuccessfully besieged by Swedish troops in 1646/47. Between 1445 and 1761, 18 people were indicted in witch trials in Lindau. The last victim of the witch hunt was Maria Madlener, who was executed on August 4, 1730.
The construction of the church started around 1000 in the centre of an early fishing settlement hence the Petrus patronage, the saint is the patron saint of fishermen.
St. Peter lost its importance after the completion of St. Stephan, the new parish church on the island in 1180. The building was used by a Beguine-like convent, dedicated to the care of the sick. Already within the 16th century the church got profaned and was used as a storage.
In the beginning of the 20th century wood and coal was stored here. Since 1928 the former church is a war memorial.
The murals were rediscovered in 1849. A first restoraten was undertaken in 1921, when all post-Reformation fixtures and extensions got removed.
Some scholars attribute the Late Gothic "Lindau Passion" to Hans Holbein the Elder, but that is disputed.
Lindau - Peterskirche
18 Jan 2021 |
|
|
Lindau, located near the borders to Austria and Switzerland, was mentioned first time in 882 when a nunnery was founded here. The old town is on an island, which meanwhile is connected with the mainland by a road bridge and a railway dam.
The church of St. Stephan was built around 1180, Franciscans founded a monastery here in 1224. In 1274/75 Lindau became an Imperial Free City under King Rudolf I.
Lindau became Protestant in 1528. The nunnery remained Catholic while the Franciscan monastery, from which the first Reformation preachers came, was closed. During the Thirty Years' War, Lindau was unsuccessfully besieged by Swedish troops in 1646/47. Between 1445 and 1761, 18 people were indicted in witch trials in Lindau. The last victim of the witch hunt was Maria Madlener, who was executed on August 4, 1730.
The construction of the church started around 1000 in the centre of an early fishing settlement hence the Petrus patronage, the saint is the patron saint of fishermen.
St. Peter lost its importance after the completion of St. Stephan, the new parish church on the island in 1180. The building was used by a Beguine-like convent, dedicated to the care of the sick. Already within the 16th century the church got profaned and was used as a storage.
In the beginning of the 20th century wood and coal was stored here. Since 1928 the former church is a war memorial.
The murals were rediscovered in 1849. A first restoraten was undertaken in 1921, when all post-Reformation fixtures and extensions got removed.
Seen on the left wall is the "Lindau Passion". The passion of Christ and the story of Peter are artistically processed on an area four meters high and seven meters wide. It is dated to the 15th century.
Lindau - Peterkirche
18 Jan 2021 |
|
Lindau, located near the borders to Austria and Switzerland, was mentioned first time in 882 when a nunnery was founded here. The old town is on an island, which meanwhile is connected with the mainland by a road bridge and a railway dam.
The church of St. Stephan was built around 1180, Franciscans founded a monastery here in 1224. In 1274/75 Lindau became an Imperial Free City under King Rudolf I.
Lindau became Protestant in 1528. The nunnery remained Catholic while the Franciscan monastery, from which the first Reformation preachers came, was closed. During the Thirty Years' War, Lindau was unsuccessfully besieged by Swedish troops in 1646/47. Between 1445 and 1761, 18 people were indicted in witch trials in Lindau. The last victim of the witch hunt was Maria Madlener, who was executed on August 4, 1730.
The construction of the church started around 1000 in the centre of an early fishing settlement hence the Petrus patronage, the saint is the patron saint of fishermen.
St. Peter lost its importance after the completion of St. Stephan, the new parish church on the island in 1180. The building was used by a Beguine-like convent, dedicated to the care of the sick. Already within the 16th century the church got profaned and was used as a storage.
In the beginning of the 20th century wood and coal was stored here. Since 1928 the former church is a war memorial.
The murals were rediscovered in 1849. A first restoraten was undertaken in 1921, when all post-Reformation fixtures and extensions got removed.
Lindau - Peterskirche
18 Jan 2021 |
|
|
Lindau, located near the borders to Austria and Switzerland, was mentioned first time in 882 when a nunnery was founded here. The old town is on an island, which meanwhile is connected with the mainland by a road bridge and a railway dam.
The church of St. Stephan was built around 1180, Franciscans founded a monastery here in 1224. In 1274/75 Lindau became an Imperial Free City under King Rudolf I.
Lindau became Protestant in 1528. The nunnery remained Catholic while the Franciscan monastery, from which the first Reformation preachers came, was closed. During the Thirty Years' War, Lindau was unsuccessfully besieged by Swedish troops in 1646/47. Between 1445 and 1761, 18 people were indicted in witch trials in Lindau. The last victim of the witch hunt was Maria Madlener, who was executed on August 4, 1730.
The construction of the church started around 1000 in the centre of an early fishing settlement hence the Petrus patronage, the saint is the patron saint of fishermen.
St. Peter lost its importance after the completion of St. Stephan, the new parish church on the island in 1180. The building was used by a Beguine-like convent, dedicated to the care of the sick. Already within the 16th century the church got profaned and was used as a storage.
In the beginning of the 20th century wood and coal was stored here. Since 1928 the former church is a war memorial.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Peterskirche" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter