Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Order of the Knights of Saint John

Taufers im Münstertal - St. Johann

29 Sep 2015 336
Taufers im Münstertal is just 6 kms east of Müstair. Between the villages runs the border between Switzerland and Italy, so Taufers is the westernmost village of South Tyrol. There are eight churches or chapels in Taufers, what is a lot for a population of less than 1000. Seen here is the western facade of St. Johann, the oldest church in Taufers. Probably already within the 9th century a convent existed here. It is known that the Benedictine monks gave that up in 1035. The church was ruined but got rebuilt in the early 13th century by the Knights Hospitaller. They run a hospice to provide refuge for travelers and care for the ill between 1264 and 1509. In 1790 the church got deconsecrated and was used as a stable. This caused a lot of damage, as walls covered with fresco got demolished over the next decades. The restoration of the church started 1951. The large fresco under the ceiling of the crossing. In the center Christ, flanked by Mary and John the Baptist. They are surrounded by many Bishops and Martyrs. The fresco was painted 1220/1230 - and has suffered a lot.

Taufers im Münstertal - St. Johann

29 Sep 2015 347
Taufers im Münstertal is just 6 kms east of Müstair. Between the villages runs the border between Switzerland and Italy, so Taufers is the westernmost village of South Tyrol. There are eight churches or chapels in Taufers, what is a lot for a population of less than 1000. Seen here is the western facade of St. Johann, the oldest church in Taufers. Probably already within the 9th century a convent existed here. It is known that the Benedictine monks gave that up in 1035. The church was ruined but got rebuilt in the early 13th century by the Knights Hospitaller. They run a hospice to provide refuge for travelers and care for the ill between 1264 and 1509. In 1790 the church got deconsecrated and was used as a stable. This caused a lot of damage, as walls covered with fresco got demolished over the next decades. The restoration of the church started 1951. The building is very long as it has a kind of two storey narthex, where the hospice once was. This is seen here, the entrance to the church, built on the floorplan of a Greek Cross is seen in the background.

Taufers im Münstertal - St. Johann

29 Sep 2015 2 343
Taufers im Münstertal is just 6 kms east of Müstair. Between the villages runs the border between Switzerland and Italy, so Taufers is the westernmost village of South Tyrol. There are eight churches or chapels in Taufers, what is a lot for a population of less than 1000. Seen here is the western facade of St. Johann, the oldest church in Taufers. Probably already within the 9th century a convent existed here. It is known that the Benedictine monks gave that up in 1035. The church was ruined but got rebuilt in the early 13th century by the Knights Hospitaller. They run a hospice to provide refuge for travelers and care for the ill between 1264 and 1509. In 1790 the church got deconsecrated and was used as a stable. This caused a lot of damage, as walls covered with fresco got demolished over the next decades. The restoration of the church started 1951. The church is very long as it has a kind of two storey narthex, where the hospice once was. On the wall here is a fresco of St. Christopher, painted in the early 13th century.

Taufers im Münstertal - St. Johann

29 Sep 2015 322
Taufers im Münstertal is just 6 kms east of Müstair. Between the villages runs the border between Switzerland and Italy, so Taufers is the westernmost village of South Tyrol. There are eight churches or chapels in Taufers, what is a lot for a population of less than 1000. Seen here is the western facade of St. Johann, the oldest church in Taufers. Probably already within the 9th century a convent existed here. It is known that the Benedictine monks gave that up in 1035. The church was ruined but got rebuilt in the early 13th century by the Knights Hospitaller. They run a hospice to provide refuge for travelers and care for the ill between 1264 and 1509. In 1790 the church got deconsecrated and was used as a stable. This caused a lot of damage, as walls covered with fresco got demolished over the next decades. The restoration of the church started 1951.

Pisa - Chiesa del Santo Sepolcro

16 Jun 2015 269
Already existing in 1113, the octagonal "Church of the Holy Sepulchre" was built for the Knights Hospitaller (aka "Order of the Knights of Saint John"). It was designed by Diotisalvi, who later designed the Baptistery of Pisa Cathedral. His name is inscribed on a wall of the tower ""Huius OPERIS FABRICATOR DeuTESALVET nominatur». The church was locked, but I found a window. Inside around the altar is a rotunda out of eight pillars - and a kind of ambulatory around the center. This interior rotunda is "generic" for churches of the "Holy Sepulchre", eg "Neuvy-Saint-Sépulchre", "Drueggelte", "Northampton"..

Pisa - Chiesa del Santo Sepolcro

16 Jun 2015 2 1 263
Already existing in 1113, the octagonal "Church of the Holy Sepulchre" was built for the Knights Hospitaller (aka "Order of the Knights of Saint John"). It was designed by Diotisalvi, who later designed the Baptistery of Pisa Cathedral. His name is inscribed on a wall of the tower ""Huius OPERIS FABRICATOR DeuTESALVET nominatur».

Pisa - Chiesa del Santo Sepolcro

15 Jun 2015 233
Already existing in 1113, the octagonal "Church of the Holy Sepulchre" was built for the Knights Hospitaller (aka "Order of the Knights of Saint John"). It was designed by Diotisalvi, who later designed the Baptistery of Pisa Cathedral. His name is inscribed on a wall of the tower ""Huius OPERIS FABRICATOR DeuTESALVET nominatur».

Pisa - Chiesa del Santo Sepolcro

15 Jun 2015 279
Seen on the southern banks of the Arno river is the roof of the octagonal "Church of the Holy Sepulchre" was built for the Knights Hospitaller (aka "Order of the Knights of Saint John") in the early 12th century. It was designed by Diotisalvi, who later designed the Baptistery of Pisa Cathedral.