Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Charles VI

Liesse-Notre-Dame - Basilique Notre-Dame

22 Nov 2016 2 314
Since the 12th century Liesse hosted a statue of a "Black Virgin", known as "Notre Dame de Liesse, source et cause de notre joie", and ever since then Liesse has been a center of Marian pilgrimage. Liesse was even a favorite destination for royal pilgrimages, visited by Louis VII, Charles VI, Charles VII and others. The basilica was built during the late 13th and early 14th centuries and probably replaced an earlier chapel. It was probably erected with stones left over from the construction of the nearby Laon Cathedral. The portal and façade were constructed in the 15th century The statue is seen in the center. A legend tells, that it has been brought to Liesse by three Knights Hospitaller, named Jean, Hector, and Henri. During the Cruisade they were captured and taken to the Sultan of Egypt. The knights refused to convert to Islam despite promises of gold and honor. Angels brought the three imprisoned knights a small statue of Our Lady for consolation. The Sultan decided to send his daughter to the dungeon to convert the prisoners, but having learned about the Christian god she assisted in the knights´ escape. During the flight they fall asleep, and during their sleep were miraculously transported to Northern France. They woke up close to the Eppes´ castle in Picardy, where they came from. The Sultan´s daughter Ismeria, who had accompanied them, was baptised in the cathedral of Laon. The knights preserved the statue of the Madonna, and built a church to receive Our Lady of Liesse. That´s the legend "behind" the Black Virgin.

Liesse-Notre-Dame - Basilique Notre-Dame

22 Nov 2016 312
Since the 12th century Liesse hosted a statue of a "Black Virgin", known as "Notre Dame de Liesse, source et cause de notre joie", and ever since then Liesse has been a center of Marian pilgrimage. Liesse was even a favorite destination for royal pilgrimages, visited by Louis VII, Charles VI, Charles VII and others. The basilica was built during the late 13th and early 14th centuries and probably replaced an earlier chapel. It was probably erected with stones left over from the construction of the nearby Laon Cathedral. The portal and façade were constructed in the 15th century In 1568 the troops of the Protesant Prince of Orange looted Liesse and the basilica village. The soldiers broke the statue, removed the bells and set fire to the church. The restoration was completed in 1577.

Blois - Château

20 Apr 2015 1 3 311
Charles of Orléans, the medieval poet, lived here. He had inherited the château from his mother Valentina Visconti, widow of Louis de Valois, the brother of King Charles VI of France. In 1407 Louis had been assassinated on order of (his cousin) John the Fearless, Duke of Burgundy. John the Fearless then was stabbed in 1419 by Tanneguy du Chastel. I had just found the grave of Tanneguy´s son some days ago in Cléry-Saint-André. Everything is connected.. Charles of Orléans, the poet, tried to revenge his father´s assasination. In 1415 he was taken prisoner at the Battle of Agincourt and spent 25 (twenty-five!) years as a hostage in England, before returning to Blois. This château became the favourite royal residence and the political capital of the kingdom under Charles' son, King Louis XII. Note the crowned porcupines (a large over the small door, a smaller one over the arch of the large). The porcupine stands as a symbol of King Louis XII. www.chateaudeblois.fr/?lang=en