Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Magis

Trier - Liebfrauenkirche

15 Feb 2013 199
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city. Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium. The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars. Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is probably the oldest Gothic structure in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive. After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy. When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down. The elaborate main portal of the "Liebfrauenkirche", done in Early Gothic style, with clearly "French" roots. In the center of the tympanum the enthroned Virgin holding the Child. Left of here are the three Magis - and further in the left corner shepherds listening to an angel above. Right of the Virgin is "Jesus´ "Jesus´ first Bath", followed by Joseph (?), holding a walking stick (Flight to Egypt?) - and three small men.

Neuilly-en-Donjon - Église Ste-Marie-Madeleine

06 Jan 2011 208
The church Ste-Marie-Madeleine belonged to the former priory de Marcigny. Here the very extraordenary and spectacular portal of the otherwise humble building. Compared to the other romanesque carvings of the Brionnaise, this is very delicate and thematically very chaotic, as it shows different scenes, that seem not be connected to each other. The tympanon depicts St. Mary, the child and the Three Magis, standing on two phantastic animals, and flanked by four angels, blowing giant horns. The lintel below depicts Adam and Eve to the right and the last supper. See the other photos for more details.