Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: labors of the months

Souvigny - Prieuré Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul

14 May 2017 1 275
In 915 Aymar de Bourbon, ancestor of the House of Bourbon, gave land in Souvigny to the Cluny Abbey for the construction of a monastery. At that time the "Abbaye de Cluny" was just 5 years old, as it had been founded 910 by William I, Duke of Aquitaine, (aka "William the Pious"). Souvigny was one of the first priories, dependent from the Cluny Abbey, so it was known later as "one of the five eldest daughters of Cluny". Cluny developed into the most powerful abbey in the Middle Ages, when the Cluniac Reforms changed the monastic life in Europe. German historian Dr. Joachim Wollasch ("Cluny, Licht der Welt"), estimates that in its haydays, more than 10.000 monks were parts of this network´, that stretched all over Europe. The pelerinage to Santiago de Compostella was one of the great "themes", developed and strongly supported by Cluny. The priory in Souvigny was such an important convent, that two of the powerful abbots of Cluny, Majolus (+ 994) and Odilo (+ 1049) died here. Their graves were a place of pilgrimage site soon after. To cope with the growing number of pilgrims, the priory´s church got enlarged already within the 10th century. Mayeul (= Majolus) was the 4th, Odilon (= Odilo) was the 5th abbot of the Abbey of Cluny. Odilo "invented" and established the "All Souls' Day" (2. November), that was adopted in the whole Western church. The church, probably built after the model of Cluny III, with five aisles structure and two transepts, crumbled, when the times got tougher in the next centuries. In 1793 French revolutionists raged through the priory, they desacrated the tombs of the saints as well as that of the nobility, damaged and decapitulated most of the statues and destroyed whatever they found. The left a ruined place. When the rubble got excavated later many warosk of art were found, that can now be seen in the adjoining museum. The "Colonne du Zodiaque" is probably the most spectacular. The octagonal column was originally probably 3, 80 meters high, but only the upper part remains. It is dated to the end of the 12th century. Depicted are the signs of the zodiac, the "labors of the months", "strange" people and exotic/mythic animals. Here are the "labors of the months". Augustus - Septemb(er) - Oktober - Novemb(er)

Argenton-Château - Saint-Gilles

17 Jan 2015 297
Since 2006 Argenton-Château and two other villages form the new commune Argenton-les-Vallées. The rocky outcrop, overlooking the valley, was a strongly fortified place in medieval times. The chateau was home of a powerful family. In 1069 the Lord of Argenton Geoffroy de Blois hands over the church of Saint-Gilles to the Benedictine monks of the Bourgueil Abbey, who since then had a priory here. This was a kind of family business, as the abbey was founded 990 by Emma de Blois, Duchess of Aquitaine. The church mentioned was a predecessor of the church seen here. From 1100 on the priory belonged to the abbey of Saint-Jouin-de-Marnes. A new church was erected in the 12 century, replacing the older one. The facade, seen here, dates back to that church, while the most parts of the church result from a reconstruction of the 15th century. Details from the fifth archivolt, that has the signs of the zodiac and the labors of the months. Unfortunately the vandals of the Revolution caused a great damage here, but the inscriptions are still readable. (...PISCES MA)RCIUS ARIES APRILI(S TAURUS...)

Argenton-Château - Saint-Gilles

16 Jan 2015 1 312
Since 2006 Argenton-Château and two other villages form the new commune Argenton-les-Vallées. The rocky outcrop, overlooking the valley, was a strongly fortified place in medieval times. The chateau was home of a powerful family. In 1069 the Lord of Argenton Geoffroy de Blois hands over the church of Saint-Gilles to the Benedictine monks of the Bourgueil Abbey, who since then had a priory here. This was a kind of family business, as the abbey was founded 990 by Emma de Blois, Duchess of Aquitaine. The church mentioned was a predecessor of the church seen here. From 1100 on the priory belonged to the abbey of Saint-Jouin-de-Marnes. A new church was erected in the 12 century, replacing the older one. The facade, seen here, dates back to that church, while the most parts of the church result from a reconstruction of the 15th century. The portal, mutilated during the French Revolution, is clearly influenced by works in Civray and Aulnay, that may only be decades older. The smallest archivolt has an Agnus Dei in the center and three slender angels on either side. The next archivolt is populated with knights fighting evil creatures. The knights symbolize virtues, the beasts symbolize the vices. This is made clear by the inscriptions (eg IRA, LARGITAS, AVARICIA, CONCORDIA..). The "Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins" can be seen on the third and the 12 apostles and Christ in the center on the fourth archivolt. The outer archivolt has the signs of the zodiac and the labors of the months.