Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Pope Clement V
Ligugé - Abbaye Saint-Martin
29 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The monastery was founded in 361 by Saint Martin of Tours, so this was the first monastery in the West. Martin built a cell in an abandoned Roman settlement, so he could be near his teacher Hilarius of Poitiers, who was Bishop of Poitiers from 350 to 367. What started as a hermitage was soon a convent of about 60 men whom Martin served as an abbot up to 370.
Excavations have confirmed the age, as remains from the 4th century were uncovered, in which ells and a small chapel could be recognized. Merovingian sarcophagi from the 5th and 6th centuries document the continued existence of the abbey.
The invasion of the Saracens, the wars of the early Carolingians, and lastly the Norman invasion were a series of disasters that almost destroyed the monastery. By the 11th century, it was a dependent priory attached to Maillezais Abbey.
It was revitalized in 1003 by the re-establishment of a shrine to Saint Martin, that grew in prominence as a place of pilgrimage.
In 1307 Pope Clement V was here and issued indulgences for the pilgrimage.
During the Hundred Years' War the priory got occupied by English troops in 1359 it got subsequently destroyed by the French forces.
Reconstruction began end of the 15th century. The 16th century church has been preserved. During the Wars of Religion, the priory suffered again. In 1607 Jesuits moved in, but in 1762 the order was expelled from France. In the course of the French Revolution, buildings and lands were nationalized and sold in private hands.
In the mid 19th century the Bishop of Poitiers acquired the complex and it got rebuild as a Benedictine monastery. Anticlerical legislation forced the Benedictines to leave France. They returned in 1923 and, as the former abbey church now served the parish, they built a new monastery church in 1929.
The style of the new church is - truly modern.
Ligugé - Abbaye Saint-Martin
29 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The monastery was founded in 361 by Saint Martin of Tours, so this was the first monastery in the West. Martin built a cell in an abandoned Roman settlement, so he could be near his teacher Hilarius of Poitiers, who was Bishop of Poitiers from 350 to 367. What started as a hermitage was soon a convent of about 60 men whom Martin served as an abbot up to 370.
Excavations have confirmed the age, as remains from the 4th century were uncovered, in which ells and a small chapel could be recognized. Merovingian sarcophagi from the 5th and 6th centuries document the continued existence of the abbey.
The invasion of the Saracens, the wars of the early Carolingians, and lastly the Norman invasion were a series of disasters that almost destroyed the monastery. By the 11th century, it was a dependent priory attached to Maillezais Abbey.
It was revitalized in 1003 by the re-establishment of a shrine to Saint Martin, that grew in prominence as a place of pilgrimage.
In 1307 Pope Clement V was here and issued indulgences for the pilgrimage.
During the Hundred Years' War the priory got occupied by English troops in 1359 it got subsequently destroyed by the French forces.
Reconstruction began end of the 15th century. The 16th century church has been preserved. During the Wars of Religion, the priory suffered again. In 1607 Jesuits moved in, but in 1762 the order was expelled from France. In the course of the French Revolution, buildings and lands were nationalized and sold in private hands.
In the mid 19th century the Bishop of Poitiers acquired the complex and it got rebuild as a Benedictine monastery. Anticlerical legislation forced the Benedictines to leave France. They returned in 1923 and, as the former abbey church now served the parish, they built a new monastery church in 1929.
-
A strong tower is left from the times, when the wars threatened the convent.
Ligugé - Abbaye Saint-Martin
29 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The monastery was founded in 361 by Saint Martin of Tours, so this was the first monastery in the West. Martin built a cell in an abandoned Roman settlement, so he could be near his teacher Hilarius of Poitiers, who was Bishop of Poitiers from 350 to 367. What started as a hermitage was soon a convent of about 60 men whom Martin served as an abbot up to 370.
Excavations have confirmed the age, as remains from the 4th century were uncovered, in which cells and a small chapel could be recognized. Merovingian sarcophagi from the 5th and 6th centuries document the continued existence of the abbey.
The invasion of the Saracens, the wars of the early Carolingians, and lastly the Norman invasion were a series of disasters that almost destroyed the monastery. By the 11th century, it was a dependent priory attached to Maillezais Abbey.
It was revitalized in 1003 by the re-establishment of a shrine to Saint Martin, that grew in prominence as a place of pilgrimage.
In 1307 Pope Clement V was here and issued indulgences for the pilgrimage.
During the Hundred Years' War the priory got occupied by English troops in 1359 it got subsequently destroyed by the French forces.
Reconstruction began end of the 15th century. The 16th century church has been preserved. During the Wars of Religion, the priory suffered again. In 1607 Jesuits moved in, but in 1762 the order was expelled from France. In the course of the French Revolution, buildings and lands were nationalized and sold in private hands.
In the mid 19th century the Bishop of Poitiers acquired the complex and it got rebuild as a Benedictine monastery. Anticlerical legislation forced the Benedictines to leave France. They returned in 1923 and, as the former abbey church now served the parish, they built a new monastery church in 1929.
-
The archeological excavations below the former abbey church revealed nearly 2000 years of history here, as it all started with the remains of a Roman settlement.
Ligugé - Abbaye Saint-Martin
29 Apr 2020 |
|
|
|
The monastery was founded in 361 by Saint Martin of Tours, so this was the first monastery in the West. Martin built a cell in an abandoned Roman settlement, so he could be near his teacher Hilarius of Poitiers, who was Bishop of Poitiers from 350 to 367. What started as a hermitage was soon a convent of about 60 men whom Martin served as an abbot up to 370.
Excavations have confirmed the age, as remains from the 4th century were uncovered, in which ells and a small chapel could be recognized. Merovingian sarcophagi from the 5th and 6th centuries document the continued existence of the abbey.
The invasion of the Saracens, the wars of the early Carolingians, and lastly the Norman invasion were a series of disasters that almost destroyed the monastery. By the 11th century, it was a dependent priory attached to Maillezais Abbey.
It was revitalized in 1003 by the re-establishment of a shrine to Saint Martin, that grew in prominence as a place of pilgrimage.
In 1307 Pope Clement V was here and issued indulgences for the pilgrimage.
During the Hundred Years' War the priory got occupied by English troops in 1359 it got subsequently destroyed by the French forces.
Reconstruction began end of the 15th century. The 16th century church has been preserved. During the Wars of Religion, the priory suffered again. In 1607 Jesuits moved in, but in 1762 the order was expelled from France. In the course of the French Revolution, buildings and lands were nationalized and sold in private hands.
In the mid 19th century the Bishop of Poitiers acquired the complex and it got rebuild as a Benedictine monastery. Anticlerical legislation forced the Benedictines to leave France. They returned in 1923 and, as the former abbey church now served the parish, they built a new monastery church in 1929.
Saint Martin in his typical gesture on the portal´s door.
Ligugé - Abbaye Saint-Martin
28 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The monastery was founded in 361 by Saint Martin of Tours, so this was the first monastery in the West. Martin built a cell in an abandoned Roman settlement, so he could be near his teacher Hilarius of Poitiers, who was Bishop of Poitiers from 350 to 367. What started as a hermitage was soon a convent of about 60 men whom Martin served as an abbot up to 370.
Excavations have confirmed the age, as remains from the 4th century were uncovered, in which ells and a small chapel could be recognized. Merovingian sarcophagi from the 5th and 6th centuries document the continued existence of the abbey.
The invasion of the Saracens, the wars of the early Carolingians, and lastly the Norman invasion were a series of disasters that almost destroyed the monastery. By the 11th century, it was a dependent priory attached to Maillezais Abbey.
It was revitalized in 1003 by the re-establishment of a shrine to Saint Martin, that grew in prominence as a place of pilgrimage.
In 1307 Pope Clement V was here and issued indulgences for the pilgrimage.
During the Hundred Years' War the priory got occupied by English troops in 1359 it got subsequently destroyed by the French forces.
Reconstruction began end of the 15th century. The 16th century church has been preserved. During the Wars of Religion, the priory suffered again. In 1607 Jesuits moved in, but in 1762 the order was expelled from France. In the course of the French Revolution, buildings and lands were nationalized and sold in private hands.
In the mid 19th century the Bishop of Poitiers acquired the complex and it got rebuild as a Benedictine monastery. Anticlerical legislation forced the Benedictines to leave France. They returned in 1923 and, as the former abbey church now served the parish, they built a new monastery church in 1929.
Ligugé - Abbaye Saint-Martin
28 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The monastery was founded in 361 by Saint Martin of Tours, so this was the first monastery in the West. Martin built a cell in an abandoned Roman settlement, so he could be near his teacher Hilarius of Poitiers, who was Bishop of Poitiers from 350 to 367. What started as a hermitage was soon a convent of about 60 men whom Martin served as an abbot up to 370.
Excavations have confirmed the age, as remains from the 4th century were uncovered, in which ells and a small chapel could be recognized. Merovingian sarcophagi from the 5th and 6th centuries document the continued existence of the abbey.
The invasion of the Saracens, the wars of the early Carolingians, and lastly the Norman invasion were a series of disasters that almost destroyed the monastery. By the 11th century, it was a dependent priory attached to Maillezais Abbey.
It was revitalized in 1003 by the re-establishment of a shrine to Saint Martin, that grew in prominence as a place of pilgrimage.
In 1307 Pope Clement V was here and issued indulgences for the pilgrimage.
During the Hundred Years' War the priory got occupied by English troops in 1359 it got subsequently destroyed by the French forces.
Reconstruction began end of the 15th century. The 16th century church has been preserved. During the Wars of Religion, the priory suffered again. In 1607 Jesuits moved in, but in 1762 the order was expelled from France. In the course of the French Revolution, buildings and lands were nationalized and sold in private hands.
In the mid 19th century the Bishop of Poitiers acquired the complex and it got rebuild as a Benedictine monastery. Anticlerical legislation forced the Benedictines to leave France. They returned in 1923 and, as the former abbey church now served the parish, they built a new monastery church in 1929.
Foundations of an older chapel.
Ligugé - Abbaye Saint-Martin
28 Apr 2020 |
|
|
The monastery was founded in 361 by Saint Martin of Tours, so this was the first monastery in the West. Martin built a cell in an abandoned Roman settlement, so he could be near his teacher Hilarius of Poitiers, who was Bishop of Poitiers from 350 to 367. What started as a hermitage was soon a convent of about 60 men whom Martin served as an abbot up to 370.
Excavations have confirmed the age, as remains from the 4th century were uncovered, in which ells and a small chapel could be recognized. Merovingian sarcophagi from the 5th and 6th centuries document the continued existence of the abbey.
The invasion of the Saracens, the wars of the early Carolingians, and lastly the Norman invasion were a series of disasters that almost destroyed the monastery. By the 11th century, it was a dependent priory attached to Maillezais Abbey.
It was revitalized in 1003 by the re-establishment of a shrine to Saint Martin, that grew in prominence as a place of pilgrimage.
In 1307 Pope Clement V was here and issued indulgences for the pilgrimage.
During the Hundred Years' War the priory got occupied by English troops in 1359 it got subsequently destroyed by the French forces.
Reconstruction began end of the 15th century. The 16th century church has been preserved. During the Wars of Religion, the priory suffered again. In 1607 Jesuits moved in, but in 1762 the order was expelled from France. In the course of the French Revolution, buildings and lands were nationalized and sold in private hands.
In the mid 19th century the Bishop of Poitiers acquired the complex and it got rebuild as a Benedictine monastery. Anticlerical legislation forced the Benedictines to leave France. They returned in 1923 and, as the former abbey church now served the parish, they built a new monastery church in 1929.
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
06 Jan 2015 |
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
In 1586, during the Wars of Religion, the cathedral was looted and severely damaged by the Huguenot troops. It took the next centuries to restore and repair. Saint-Bertrand´s relics were hidden during the Huguenot raids and are meanwhile back in the cathedral.
The walls of the apse are covered small crosses, carved into the wall be pelerins. Often then they took home the grit and used it as a medicine. One person carved in this hammer, not knowing Pete Seeger, who was born many centuries later.
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
06 Jan 2015 |
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
In 1586, during the Wars of Religion, the cathedral was looted and severely damaged by the Huguenot troops. It took the next centuries to restore and repair. Saint-Bertrand´s relics were hidden during the Huguenot raids and are meanwhile back in the cathedral.
The Romanesque cloister, where the canons once praid the Divine Office, got rather damaged by the Huguenots. It got restored and there are still some very interesting carvings.
Adam and Eve - still in Paradise.
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
06 Jan 2015 |
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
In 1586, during the Wars of Religion, the cathedral was looted and severely damaged by the Huguenot troops. It took the next centuries to restore and repair. Saint-Bertrand´s relics were hidden during the Huguenot raids and are meanwhile back in the cathedral.
The Romanesque cloister, where the canons once praid the Divine Office, got rather damaged by the Huguenots. It got restored and there are still some very interesting carvings.
Lots of scenes are on this capital. Easy to "recognize" is a centaur / Sagittarius hunting a mermaid or maybe here a "meranimal" with bow and arrow. On the bottom I see a farmer ploughing with two oxes. Behind is a person picking something from the ground (ears?). In the center are three persons. One holds an animal, while the other seems to slaughter it. Maybe this is a hunting scene, as the log "object" under the large animal may be a dog. On the left somebody carries and object (sack?) on his shoulders.
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
06 Jan 2015 |
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
In 1586, during the Wars of Religion, the cathedral was looted and severely damaged by the Huguenot troops. It took the next centuries to restore and repair. Saint-Bertrand´s relics were hidden during the Huguenot raids and are meanwhile back in the cathedral.
The Romanesque cloister, where the canons once praid the Divine Office, got rather damaged by the Huguenots. It got restored and there are still some very interesting carvings.
Two cocks / roosters scratch at the soil to search for seeds or insects.
More infos can be found at the cathedral´s website:
www.cathedrale-saint-bertrand.org/
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
06 Jan 2015 |
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
In 1586, during the Wars of Religion, the cathedral was looted and severely damaged by the Huguenot troops. It took the next centuries to restore and repair. Saint-Bertrand´s relics were hidden during the Huguenot raids and are meanwhile back in the cathedral.
The Romanesque cloister, where the canons once praid the Divine Office, got rather damaged by the Huguenots. It got restored and there are still some very interesting carvings.
This person seems to give a warm welcome to the onlooker, but he actually handles two saddled horses, that are (not visible from this pov) on the sides of the capital.
More infos can be found at the cathedral´s website:
www.cathedrale-saint-bertrand.org/
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
06 Jan 2015 |
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
In 1586, during the Wars of Religion, the cathedral was looted and severely damaged by the Huguenot troops. It took the next centuries to restore and repair. Saint-Bertrand´s relics were hidden during the Huguenot raids and are meanwhile back in the cathedral.
The Romanesque cloister, where the canons once praid the Divine
Office, got rather damaged by the Huguenots. It got restored and there are still some very interesting carvings.
More infos can be found at the cathedral´s website:
www.cathedrale-saint-bertrand.org/
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
06 Jan 2015 |
|
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
In 1586, during the Wars of Religion, the cathedral was looted and severely damaged by the Huguenot troops. It took the next centuries to restore and repair. Saint-Bertrand´s relics were hidden during the Huguenot raids and are meanwhile back in the cathedral.
The Romanesque cloister, where the canons once praid the Divine
Office, got rather damaged by the Huguenots. It got restored and there are still some very interesting carvings.
More infos can be found at the cathedral´s website:
www.cathedrale-saint-bertrand.org/
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
06 Jan 2015 |
|
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
I do like to find strange or even bizarre "things" in and around churches. This stuffed crocodile, mounted to a wall, is in deed very strange. I learned, that there is a legend, that the reptil crawled up the river and was killed by Saint Bertrand by the power of a prayer. It is more likely, the the crocodile is an ex voto, brought back by a knight from one of the crusades.
This is the second stuffed croc I found in a French church. The other one is in the church of Oiron (Poitou-Charentes). I do remember another one hanging down in the cloister of the Cathedral of Sevilla.
More infos can be found at the cathedral´s website:
www.cathedrale-saint-bertrand.org/
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
06 Jan 2015 |
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
In 1586, during the Wars of Religion, the cathedral was looted and severely damaged by the Huguenot troops. It took the next centuries to restore and repair. Saint-Bertrand´s relics were hidden during the Huguenot raids and are meanwhile back in the cathedral.
Bishop Jean de Mauléon undertook a great part of necessary renovation after the Wars. He commissioned the 67 stalls for the canons. The stalls, placed behind the rood screen, may be created around 1530 by the studio of Nicolas Bachelier. This is not proven but there are many parallels to the stalls in the cathedral of Auch.
Here are to chained monkeys.
More infos can be found at the cathedral´s website:
www.cathedrale-saint-bertrand.org/
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
06 Jan 2015 |
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
In 1586, during the Wars of Religion, the cathedral was looted and severely damaged by the Huguenot troops. It took the next centuries to restore and repair. Saint-Bertrand´s relics were hidden during the Huguenot raids and are meanwhile back in the cathedral.
This capital is part of the ancient Romanesque narthex.
More infos can be found at the cathedral´s website:
www.cathedrale-saint-bertrand.org/
Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - Cathedral
05 Jan 2015 |
|
|
The village Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges, named after a bishop of the once existing diocese here,was just like neighbouring Valcabrère once part of a large Roman settlement, that may have had about 30.000 inhabitants. In the early 5th century the Vandals sacked the city, in 585 merovingian troops razed the site, that probably had the bishopric seat already at that time.
Saint Bertrand of Comminges (1073–1123) restored and fortified the town. He commissioned the erection of the cathedral. Saint Bertrand´s tomb was a center of regional pilgrimage already before he got canonized around 1220.
Pope Clement V, who had once been Bishop of this diocese, strongly promoted the pilgrimage, so that soon after the Romanesque church was to small for the many "pelerins". Between 1304 and 1352 the major part of old nave got demolished to make room for a new, larger Gothic nave.
In 1586, during the Wars of Religion, the cathedral was looted and severely damaged by the Huguenot troops. It took the next centuries to restore and repair. Saint-Bertrand´s relics were hidden during the Huguenot raids and are meanwhile back in the cathedral.
These two capitals near the portal are interesting. There are two lions, bending down, on the left and two sitting monkeys on the right.
The carvings style as well as the combination lion/monkey can often be found in the southern part of Languedoc (eg Prieuré de Serrabone, Elne, Saint Michel de Cuxa). The ancient Diocese of Comminges, that existed up to the French Revolution, was rather large in medieval times. It included even areas south of the Pyrenees like the Val d’Aran.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Pope Clement V" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter