Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: All Saints Church
Kenton - All Saints Church
26 Nov 2024 |
|
A recent archaeological investigation uncovered the walls of two earlier churches and the remains of a medieval bell foundry. The Cornish St Petrock is said to have built the first chapel here in 560.
The present church was probably built in Perpendicular style around 1370. It is about 42 metres long, and the tower, which is almost 37 metres high, is said to be the second tallest in Devon.
Kenton - All Saints Church
26 Nov 2024 |
|
A recent archaeological investigation uncovered the walls of two earlier churches and the remains of a medieval bell foundry. The Cornish St Petrock is said to have built the first chapel here in 560.
The present church was probably built in Perpendicular style around 1370. It is about 42 metres long, and the tower, which is almost 37 metres high, is said to be the second tallest in Devon.
The church features a late medieval rood screen
Kenton - All Saints Church
26 Nov 2024 |
|
A recent archaeological investigation uncovered the walls of two earlier churches and the remains of a medieval bell foundry. The Cornish St Petrock is said to have built the first chapel here in 560.
The present church was probably built in Perpendicular style around 1370. It is about 42 metres long, and the tower, which is almost 37 metres high, is said to be the second tallest in Devon.
The church features a late medieval rood screen
Kenton - All Saints Church
26 Nov 2024 |
|
|
A recent archaeological investigation uncovered the walls of two earlier churches and the remains of a medieval bell foundry. The Cornish St Petrock is said to have built the first chapel here in 560.
The present church was probably built in Perpendicular style around 1370. It is about 42 metres long, and the tower, which is almost 37 metres high, is said to be the second tallest in Devon.
East Meon - All Saints Church
10 Apr 2024 |
|
|
East Meon was part of a Royal Manor belonging first to King Alfred the Great who left it in his will to his youngest son Æthelweard (c.880-922). The Domesday Book of 1086 shows that the Manor then belonged to William the Conqueror.
There is uncertainty as to when building work on the church commenced, one source gives a date between 1130 and 1140,while the parish history gives 1080. The church was probably built on a site where there was a pre-existing Anglo-Saxon structure. The original church was in the shape of a cross, 110 feet long and 62 feet wide, and is easily identified by the Romanesque arches. The tower is of c. 1150, although the lead-covered broach spire is probably 1230, The decoration – scallops and zigzag – is similar to that found on Winchester Cathedral.
East Meon - All Saints Church
10 Apr 2024 |
|
East Meon was part of a Royal Manor belonging first to King Alfred the Great who left it in his will to his youngest son Æthelweard (c.880-922). The Domesday Book of 1086 shows that the Manor then belonged to William the Conqueror.
There is uncertainty as to when building work on the church commenced, one source gives a date between 1130 and 1140,while the parish history gives 1080. The church was probably built on a site where there was a pre-existing Anglo-Saxon structure. The original church was in the shape of a cross, 110 feet long and 62 feet wide, and is easily identified by the Romanesque arches. The tower is of c. 1150, although the lead-covered broach spire is probably 1230, The decoration – scallops and zigzag – is similar to that found on Winchester Cathedral.
I had already seen some baptismal fonts in England that resembled the "Tournai Fonts". This one, dated 1130/40 is a Tournai font. These fonts were made from blue black limestone during the 12th and early 13th centuries in and around the Belgian town of Tournai by local masons.
The friezes on this font depict the creation of Adam and Eve, the temptation, the Expulsion from the Garden of Eden and Adam being shown how to dig and various animals, birds and dragons on the south and west faces.
Adam is shown how to use a shovel by an angel, while Eve can already spin.
East Meon - All Saints Church
10 Apr 2024 |
|
East Meon was part of a Royal Manor belonging first to King Alfred the Great who left it in his will to his youngest son Æthelweard (c.880-922). The Domesday Book of 1086 shows that the Manor then belonged to William the Conqueror.
There is uncertainty as to when building work on the church commenced, one source gives a date between 1130 and 1140,while the parish history gives 1080. The church was probably built on a site where there was a pre-existing Anglo-Saxon structure. The original church was in the shape of a cross, 110 feet long and 62 feet wide, and is easily identified by the Romanesque arches. The tower is of c. 1150, although the lead-covered broach spire is probably 1230, The decoration – scallops and zigzag – is similar to that found on Winchester Cathedral.
I had already seen some baptismal fonts in England that resembled the "Tournai Fonts". This one, dated 1130/40 is a Tournai font. These fonts were made from blue black limestone during the 12th and early 13th centuries in and around the Belgian town of Tournai by local masons.
The friezes on this font depict the creation of Adam and Eve, the temptation, the Expulsion from the Garden of Eden and Adam being shown how to dig and various animals, birds and dragons on the south and west faces.
The explusion
East Meon - All Saints Church
10 Apr 2024 |
|
East Meon was part of a Royal Manor belonging first to King Alfred the Great who left it in his will to his youngest son Æthelweard (c.880-922). The Domesday Book of 1086 shows that the Manor then belonged to William the Conqueror.
There is uncertainty as to when building work on the church commenced, one source gives a date between 1130 and 1140,while the parish history gives 1080. The church was probably built on a site where there was a pre-existing Anglo-Saxon structure. The original church was in the shape of a cross, 110 feet long and 62 feet wide, and is easily identified by the Romanesque arches. The tower is of c. 1150, although the lead-covered broach spire is probably 1230, The decoration – scallops and zigzag – is similar to that found on Winchester Cathedral.
I had already seen some baptismal fonts in England that resembled the "Tournai Fonts". This one, dated 1130/40 is a Tournai font. These fonts were made from blue black limestone during the 12th and early 13th centuries in and around the Belgian town of Tournai by local masons.
The friezes on this font depict the creation of Adam and Eve, the temptation, the Expulsion from the Garden of Eden and Adam being shown how to dig and various animals, birds and dragons on the south and west faces.
The temptation
East Meon - All Saints Church
10 Apr 2024 |
|
East Meon was part of a Royal Manor belonging first to King Alfred the Great who left it in his will to his youngest son Æthelweard (c.880-922). The Domesday Book of 1086 shows that the Manor then belonged to William the Conqueror.
There is uncertainty as to when building work on the church commenced, one source gives a date between 1130 and 1140,while the parish history gives 1080. The church was probably built on a site where there was a pre-existing Anglo-Saxon structure. The original church was in the shape of a cross, 110 feet long and 62 feet wide, and is easily identified by the Romanesque arches. The tower is of c. 1150, although the lead-covered broach spire is probably 1230, The decoration – scallops and zigzag – is similar to that found on Winchester Cathedral.
I had already seen some baptismal fonts in England that resembled the "Tournai Fonts". This one, dated 1130/40 is a Tournai font. These fonts were made from blue black limestone during the 12th and early 13th centuries in and around the Belgian town of Tournai by local masons.
The friezes on this font depict the creation of Adam and Eve, the temptation, the Expulsion from the Garden of Eden and Adam being shown how to dig and various animals, birds and dragons on the south and west faces.
The creation of Eve
East Meon - All Saints Church
10 Apr 2024 |
|
|
East Meon was part of a Royal Manor belonging first to King Alfred the Great who left it in his will to his youngest son Æthelweard (c.880-922). The Domesday Book of 1086 shows that the Manor then belonged to William the Conqueror.
There is uncertainty as to when building work on the church commenced, one source gives a date between 1130 and 1140,while the parish history gives 1080. The church was probably built on a site where there was a pre-existing Anglo-Saxon structure. The original church was in the shape of a cross, 110 feet long and 62 feet wide, and is easily identified by the Romanesque arches. The tower is of c. 1150, although the lead-covered broach spire is probably 1230, The decoration – scallops and zigzag – is similar to that found on Winchester Cathedral.
I had already seen some baptismal fonts in England that resembled the "Tournai Fonts". This one, dated 1130/40 is a Tournai font. These fonts were made from blue black limestone during the 12th and early 13th centuries in and around the Belgian town of Tournai by local masons.
The friezes on this font depict the creation of Adam and Eve, the temptation, the Expulsion from the Garden of Eden and Adam being shown how to dig and various animals, birds and dragons on the south and west faces.
East Meon - All Saints Church
10 Apr 2024 |
|
East Meon was part of a Royal Manor belonging first to King Alfred the Great who left it in his will to his youngest son Æthelweard (c.880-922). The Domesday Book of 1086 shows that the Manor then belonged to William the Conqueror.
There is uncertainty as to when building work on the church commenced, one source gives a date between 1130 and 1140,while the parish history gives 1080. The church was probably built on a site where there was a pre-existing Anglo-Saxon structure. The original church was in the shape of a cross, 110 feet long and 62 feet wide, and is easily identified by the Romanesque arches. The tower is of c. 1150, although the lead-covered broach spire is probably 1230, The decoration – scallops and zigzag – is similar to that found on Winchester Cathedral.
I had already seen some baptismal fonts in England that resembled the "Tournai Fonts". This one, dated 1130/40 is a Tournai font. These fonts were made from blue black limestone during the 12th and early 13th centuries in and around the Belgian town of Tournai by local masons.
The friezes on this font depict the creation of Adam and Eve, the temptation, the Expulsion from the Garden of Eden and Adam being shown how to dig and various animals, birds and dragons on the south and west faces.
East Meon - All Saints Church
10 Apr 2024 |
|
|
East Meon was part of a Royal Manor belonging first to King Alfred the Great who left it in his will to his youngest son Æthelweard (c.880-922). The Domesday Book of 1086 shows that the Manor then belonged to William the Conqueror.
There is uncertainty as to when building work on the church commenced, one source gives a date between 1130 and 1140,while the parish history gives 1080. The church was probably built on a site where there was a pre-existing Anglo-Saxon structure. The original church was in the shape of a cross, 110 feet long and 62 feet wide, and is easily identified by the Romanesque arches. The tower is of c. 1150, although the lead-covered broach spire is probably 1230, The decoration – scallops and zigzag – is similar to that found on Winchester Cathedral.
The church is lying so tight to a hill that there was no room for a north aisle to be built.
East Meon - All Saints Church
09 Apr 2024 |
|
|
East Meon was part of a Royal Manor belonging first to King Alfred the Great who left it in his will to his youngest son Æthelweard (c.880-922). The Domesday Book of 1086 shows that the Manor then belonged to William the Conqueror.
There is uncertainty as to when building work on the church commenced, one source gives a date between 1130 and 1140,while the parish history gives 1080. The church was probably built on a site where there was a pre-existing Anglo-Saxon structure. The original church was in the shape of a cross, 110 feet long and 62 feet wide, and is easily identified by the Romanesque arches. The tower is of c. 1150, although the lead-covered broach spire is probably 1230, The decoration – scallops and zigzag – is similar to that found on Winchester Cathedral.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "All Saints Church" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter