Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Mathilde de Flandre

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

04 Sep 2014 252
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found two monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. Most of the former conventual buildings like the former cloister now houses the offices of the "conseil régional" for the "Basse Normandie". www.region-basse-normandie.fr/le-conseil-regional

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

04 Sep 2014 247
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found two monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. Long rows of corbels line the sidewall of the basilica-style church. Here is a pilgrim (?) with a pretty long beard.

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

04 Sep 2014 229
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found two monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. Long rows of corbels line the sidewall of the basilica-style church. Here is a very strange one. A nude male - with a tail? Arms that end snakelike? A head like a skull?

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

04 Sep 2014 1 204
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found two monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. Long rows of corbels line the sidewall of the basilica-style church. Note the head with the mustache), devouring a soul. An anglo-saxon devil?

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

04 Sep 2014 198
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found two monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. Long rows of corbels line the sidewall of the basilica-style church.

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

03 Sep 2014 1 1 267
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found two monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. Long rows of corbels line the sidewall of the basilica-style church. The crossing tower is in the background.

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

03 Sep 2014 248
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found two monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. Here are three capitals from the nave of Sainte-Trinité. Of course, there are not only beards and mustaches (see previous upload) on the nave´s capitals. There are many rams too. If the bearded faces can be interpreted as "trophies" (after the Battle of Hastings), the rams may be connected to the pagan celtic mythology, standing for the God Toutatis/Teutates.

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

03 Sep 2014 1 227
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found two monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. Here are three capitals from the nave of Sainte-Trinité. Many faces here have bulging eyes and extraordinary beards / mustaches. Was this a "Norman" fashion? Most Normans seen on the Bayeux Tapestry (aka "Tapisserie de la reine Mathilde") are clean shaven. William the Conqueror has no beard, but his opponent Edward the Confessor wears a beard, as well as Harold II (aka "Harold Godwinson"), Edward's successor. So maybe these beards were fashion of the Anglo Saxons, beaten by William in the Battle of Hastings.

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

02 Sep 2014 237
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found two monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. Seen here is the grave of "Reine Mathilda", wife of William the Conqueror. Matilda was crowned Queen in 1068 and mother of nine kids, including two kings, William II and Henry I, and Cecilia, who was abbess of this monastery. Mathilda died in November 1083 and was buried here. Her husband died in 1087. His grave is in the choir of Saint-Etienne, once the abbey-church of the Abbaye aux Hommes, less than a kilometer away. Matilda´s tomb was vandalized during the Wars of Religions and later again during the French Revolution. Now the black slab, that marks the grave, is protected by safety glass.

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

02 Sep 2014 191
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found to monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. The vault, seen here, was rebuilt in 1865. During the Battle of Normandy in WW2 an intense bombing campaign destroyed much of Caen. Sainte-Trinité was severely damaged by the bombing, but got rebuilt. The last restauration campaign took place in the 1990s.

Caen - Abbaye aux Dames

02 Sep 2014 240
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found to monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded with here husband´s support the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The community of nuns was suppressed by the French Revolution. In 1823 the local authorities transferred the ancient Hôtel-Dieu to the former cloister for use as a hospital, and the canonesses regular established themselves there. The canonesses continued to operate until 1908 when the facility was transferred into a nursing home. The former abbey church Sainte-Trinité now serves the parish. In medieval times the facade had two spires, that got destroyed already during the 100 Years War.

Caen - Abbaye aux Hommes

01 Sep 2014 221
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found to monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The "Abbaye aux Hommes" was suppressed during the French Revolution, the Benedictine monks left. The church became a parish church after the revolution. The windows around the choir may be "reconstructed" copies of the medieval originals, as during the Battle of Normandy in WW2 an intense bombing campaign destroyed much of the city and severely damaged the cathedral. At that time many inhabitants had sought refuge here. Here is the Adoration of the Magi.

Caen - Abbaye aux Hommes

01 Sep 2014 256
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found to monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The "Abbaye aux Hommes" was suppressed during the French Revolution, the Benedictine monks left. The church became a parish church after the revolution. Most of the nave is Romanesque, while already within the 13th century the Romanesque choir got replaced by this Gothic one. This small carving, depicting a flexible male person, can be found in the nave. It was found obviously by iconoclastic Calvinists, who vandalized the abbey-church in the 1560s.

Caen - Abbaye aux Hommes

31 Aug 2014 1 1 271
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found to monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The "Abbaye aux Hommes" was suppressed during the French Revolution, the Benedictine monks left. The church became a parish church after the revolution. Most of the nave is Romanesque, while already within the 13th century the Romanesque choir got replaced by this Gothic one. This horned monster, devouring two poor souls, can be found in the nave.

Caen - Abbaye aux Hommes

27 Aug 2014 230
The tombstone in the choir of Saint-Étienne, once the abbey church of the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes") marks the grave of William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard"), who had founded this abbey. When William had married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found to monasteries as penance. During the Wars of Religions Calvinists rampaged church and abbey. Iconoclasts destroyed William´s grave got, his remains got lost. A legend tells, that one leg bone was hidden by a monk. This bone is under the slab now.

Caen - Abbaye aux Hommes

27 Aug 2014 293
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found to monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The "Abbaye aux Hommes" was suppressed during the French Revolution, the Benedictine monks left. The church became a parish church after the revolution. Already within the 13th century the Romanesque choir got replaced by this Gothic one. The tombstone in the foreground marks the grave of William the Conqueror (see next upload).

Caen - Abbaye aux Hommes

27 Aug 2014 288
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found to monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The "Abbaye aux Hommes" was suppressed during the French Revolution, the Benedictine monks left. The church became a parish church after the revolution. For the first time in France, a ribbed vault was used here about 1120.

Caen - Abbaye aux Hommes

26 Aug 2014 264
Caen was a settlement already in Roman times, but prospered, when William the Conqueror (aka "William the Bastard") built a castle here. When William married Matilda of Flanders (~ 1051) a papal ban was issued at the Council of Reims on the grounds of consanguinity. In 1059 Pope Nicholas awarded dispensation, after William and Matilda agreed to found to monasteries as penance. William founded the Abbey of Saint-Etienne (aka "Abbaye aux Hommes"), Matilda founded the Abbey Sainte-Trinité (aka "Abbaye aux Dames"). The erection of both abbeys started in Caen around 1060. The "Abbaye aux Hommes" was suppressed during the French Revolution, the Benedictine monks left. The church became a parish church after the revolution. For the first time in France, a ribbed vault was used here about 1120. During the Battle of Normandy in WW2 an intense bombing campaign destroyed much of the city and killed 2000 French civilians. During the battle, many inhabitants sought refuge here, but the cathedral was severely damaged by the bombing. The rebuilding took decades.

22 items in total