Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Vulkaneifel

Niederehe - Kloster Niederehe

29 May 2020 2 110
The Kloster Niederehe is a former Premonstratensian monastery, founded in 1162 by the local nobles. It was planned to have a convent in accordance with the Augustine rule for unmarried aristocratic daughters. The erection of the church and first convent buildings was done up to 1175. In 1225 the Archbishop of Cologne transferred the convent to the Steinfeld Abbey - and so monastery in Niederehe followed the rules of the Premonstratensian order. In the next centuries the economic situation of the went worse and the nuns ran into debts. When in the second half of the 15th century a fire devastated the monastery building and parts of the church, many people saw this as a sign from heaven. After years of reconstruction, the Niederehe Monastery was converted into a male monastery in 1505. In 1567, the Lords of Manderscheid-Schleiden converted to Protestantism. While the nave of the church was now used for Protestant services, the choir room was reserved for the Catholic community of Niederehe and the monastery. In 1593 the county became a Catholic again. In the 18th century, extensive renovations and new buildings were realized. When French Revolutionary troops took over the left bank of the Rhine the monastic life ended. In 1803, the monastery was dissolved under Napoleon Bonaparte in the course of secularization, the last prior became the pastor of Niederehe. The monastery belonged to the French state and was auctioned in 1804. The church and parts of the monastery buildings went to the parish. The side nave is the oldest part of the church. Placed here is the Tomb of the Count of Manderscheid-Schleiden and his wife - and here some very strange creatures wait, to frighten the pious parishioners.

Niederehe - Kloster Niederehe

29 May 2020 115
The Kloster Niederehe is a former Premonstratensian monastery, founded in 1162 by the local nobles. It was planned to have a convent in accordance with the Augustine rule for unmarried aristocratic daughters. The erection of the church and first convent buildings was done up to 1175. In 1225 the Archbishop of Cologne transferred the convent to the Steinfeld Abbey - and so monastery in Niederehe followed the rules of the Premonstratensian order. In the next centuries the economic situation of the went worse and the nuns ran into debts. When in the second half of the 15th century a fire devastated the monastery building and parts of the church, many people saw this as a sign from heaven. After years of reconstruction, the Niederehe Monastery was converted into a male monastery in 1505. In 1567, the Lords of Manderscheid-Schleiden converted to Protestantism. While the nave of the church was now used for Protestant services, the choir room was reserved for the Catholic community of Niederehe and the monastery. In 1593 the county became a Catholic again. In the 18th century, extensive renovations and new buildings were realized. When French Revolutionary troops took over the left bank of the Rhine the monastic life ended. In 1803, the monastery was dissolved under Napoleon Bonaparte in the course of secularization, the last prior became the pastor of Niederehe. The monastery belonged to the French state and was auctioned in 1804. The church and parts of the monastery buildings went to the parish.

Niederehe - Kloster Niederehe

28 May 2020 2 1 167
Kloster Niederehe is a former Premonstratensian monastery, founded in 1162 by the local nobles. It was planned to have a convent in accordance with the Augustine rule for unmarried aristocratic daughters. The erection of the church and first convent buildings was done up to 1175. In 1225 the Archbishop of Cologne transferred the convent to the Steinfeld Abbey - and so monastery in Niederehe followed the rules of the Premonstratensian order. In the next centuries the economic situation of the went worse and the nuns ran into debts. When in the second half of the 15th century a fire devastated the monastery building and parts of the church, many people saw this as a sign from heaven. After years of reconstruction, the Niederehe Monastery was converted into a male monastery in 1505. In 1567, the Lords of Manderscheid-Schleiden converted to Protestantism. While the nave of the church was now used for Protestant services, the choir room was reserved for the Catholic community of Niederehe and the monastery. In 1593 the county became a Catholic again. In the 18th century, extensive renovations and new buildings were realized. When French Revolutionary troops took over the left bank of the Rhine the monastic life ended. In 1803, the monastery was dissolved under Napoleon Bonaparte in the course of secularization, the last prior became the pastor of Niederehe. The monastery belonged to the French state and was auctioned in 1804. The church and parts of the monastery buildings went to the parish.

Niederehe - Gumball Machine

28 May 2020 162
When I was a kid I loved these machines, as the gumballs sold here, were the best for bubblegum bubbles. Unfortunately, my parents neither liked bubblegum nor these vending machines... Though chewing gum is still popular, these vending machines are only rarely seen meanwhile. They open 24/7, even in snow..

Gerolstein - 1909

28 May 2020 114
City rights were granted to Gerolstein in 1336. In 1691, the town was almost completely destroyed when it was liberated from French occupation by troops from the Duchy of Jülich. After reconstruction, a devastating fire burnt down the town in 1708, and again in 1784. In the 1801 Treaty of Lunéville the area on the left bank of the Rhine river was given to France, but due to the resolutions of the Vienna Congress, Gerolstein (and the left banks of the Rhine) came to the Kingdom of Prussia in 1815. Water from a spring that once was used already by the Celts and the Romans—was bottled and sold beginning in 1724. This still forms the basis for today's mineral water industry in Gerolstein. And this bottled water is what Gerolsteion is known for all over Germany. Today Gerolstein has a population of less than 8000 and it may not be large enough to keep businesses. Two discount shops are near the town. The butchery moved out already. It just started to snow...

Gerolstein - Kaiserhof

28 May 2020 154
City rights were granted to Gerolstein in 1336. In 1691, the town was almost completely destroyed when it was liberated from French occupation by troops from the Duchy of Jülich. After reconstruction, a devastating fire burnt down the town in 1708, and again in 1784. In the 1801 Treaty of Lunéville the area on the left bank of the Rhine river was given to France, but due to the resolutions of the Vienna Congress, Gerolstein (and the left banks of the Rhine) came to the Kingdom of Prussia in 1815. Water from a spring that once was used already by the Celts and the Romans—was bottled and sold beginning in 1724. This still forms the basis for today's mineral water industry in Gerolstein. And this bottled water is what Gerolsteion is known for all over Germany. Today Gerolstein has a population of less than 8000 and it may not be large enough to keep businesses like the former Hotel Kaiserhof alive.

Schalkenmehren - Weinfelder Maar

28 May 2020 2 1 101
The graveyard, that surrounds the old church (prev. uploads) borders to the Weinfelder Maar, also called the Totenmaar ("maar of the dead"). The lake was formed more than 10000 years ago by a volcanic steam explosion. These maars are typical of the Volcanic Eifel. In the foreground a memorial for Father Hugo Pötting, who obviously spent many years working as a missionary in South America, before he worked as a priest here.

Wiesbaum - St. Martin

27 May 2020 1 120
Already in 1131 a church, dedicated to St. Martin of Tours, existed in "Wisebenne", what now is Wiesbaum. A new parish church was erected in 1928, as the old, still existing one, was not suitable any longer. Here is the oldone, erected around 1500, surrounded by the graveyard. I learned that in the 17th century a local pastor was tried and found guilty of witchcraft, whereupon he was sentenced to be burnt as a warlock

Wiesbaum - St. Martin

27 May 2020 1 143
Already in 1131 a church, dedicated to St. Martin of Tours, existed in "Wisebenne", what now is Wiesbaum. The new parish church, seen here, was erected in 1928, as the old, still existing one, was not suitable any longer.