Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Clovis II

Jumièges - Abbey

26 Aug 2014 1 232
In 654 the abbey was founded by Saint Philibert on a royal domain, bestowed by Clovis II and Queen Balthild. Some decades later, the abbey had prospered and Jumièges prospered and numbered nearly a thousand monks. It was one of the largest and most important abbeys at that time. Charlemagne´s cousin Tassilo III, Duke of Bavaria, and one of his rebellious rivals, was deposed and sentenced to death by Charlemagne. He then was exiled and lived in the abbey. Of course Tassilo had to renounce his and his family's claims to Bavaria. In the 9th century the abbey was pillaged and burnt down by the Vikings, but was rebuilt soon after. In 934 twelve monks from Saint-Cyprien in Poitiers settled here and "restarted" the monastery. A new, large church was consecrated in 1067 in the presence of William the Conqueror. The abbey suffered through the English invasion of the 15th century, recovered until it was was devastated by the Huguenots during the Wars of Religion. The French Revolution ended the abbey´s existence. The buildings were sold as quarries - so there is only a ruin today. The Tourist Office calls it the "most beautiful ruin of France".

Jumièges - Abbey

26 Aug 2014 242
In 654 the abbey was founded by Saint Philibert on a royal domain, bestowed by Clovis II and Queen Balthild. Some decades later, the abbey had prospered and Jumièges prospered and numbered nearly a thousand monks. It was one of the largest and most important abbeys at that time. Charlemagne´s cousin Tassilo III, Duke of Bavaria, and one of his rebellious rivals, was deposed and sentenced to death by Charlemagne. He then was exiled and lived in the abbey. Of course Tassilo had to renounce his and his family's claims to Bavaria. In the 9th century the abbey was pillaged and burnt down by the Vikings, but was rebuilt soon after. In 934 twelve monks from Saint-Cyprien in Poitiers settled here and "restarted" the monastery. A new, large church was consecrated in 1067 in the presence of William the Conqueror. The abbey suffered through the English invasion of the 15th century, recovered until it was was devastated by the Huguenots during the Wars of Religion. The French Revolution ended the abbey´s existence. The buildings were sold as quarries - so there is only a ruin today. The Tourist Office calls it the "most beautiful ruin of France".

Jumièges - Abbey

25 Aug 2014 2 247
In 654 the abbey was founded by Saint Philibert on a royal domain, bestowed by Clovis II and Queen Balthild. Some decades later, the abbey had prospered and Jumièges prospered and numbered nearly a thousand monks. It was an important abbey. In the 9th century the abbey was pillaged and burnt down by the Vikings, but was rebuilt soon after. In 934 twelve monks from Saint-Cyprien in Poitiers settled here and "restarted" the monastery. A new, large church was consecrated in 1067 in the presence of William the Conqueror. The abbey suffered through the English invasion of the 15th century, recovered until it was was devastated by the Huguenots during the Wars of Religion. The French Revolution ended the abbey´s existence, leaving only ruins. Seen here are the abbey´s towers, seen from the parish church Saint Valentin.

Corbie Abbey

04 Jul 2014 803
A convent was founded and sponsored here around 660 by Queen Balthild (since 860 "Saint Balthild"), wife of Clovis II and mother of Chlothar III and Childeric II. The abbey got really important in early Carolingian times. It was known for its sciptorium, the Carolingian minuscule spread from here. Saint Adalard, one of Charlemagne's cousins, was abot here 780-826. A monastery in Hethis on the River Weser among the Saxons (600kms east), was founded from here in 815 under the name "Corbeia nova“, This name did change to Corvey and since 2014 the "filia" Corvey is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Corbie Abbey was ruined during the Viking raids in 881, but got rebuilt. It was known later for its library. About 400 manuscripts were transferred to St. Germain des Prés in Paris mid 17th century. When the last monks left the abbey during the French Revolution these manuscripts were released to the market. Most of them are in St. Petersburg meanwhile, while most others, that had been transferred to nearby Amiens, are at the Bibliothèque Nationale. The former abbey church Saint-Pierre, seen here, now serves the parish. The predecessor Romanesque church was demolished in 1501 and the building of a Gothic church started here. It was completed 1775, just before the French Revolution changed everything. The church was really large, it was 117m long, the crossing tower was 90m high. After the Revolution the church was abandoned and used as a quarry. In 1816, after long discussions, when choir and transepts were lost already, architects came up with plans, to "create" a small church out of the ruin. This church is seen here. The nave now has a lenght of 37 meters, but the western towers still reach 55m. Here is a scale model of the church, that existed upto the French Revolution.

Corbie Abbey

04 Jul 2014 384
A convent was founded and sponsored here around 660 by Queen Balthild (since 860 "Saint Balthild"), wife of Clovis II and mother of Chlothar III and Childeric II. The abbey got really important in early Carolingian times. It was known for its sciptorium, the Carolingian minuscule spread from here. Saint Adalard, one of Charlemagne's cousins, was abot here 780-826. A monastery in Hethis on the River Weser among the Saxons (600kms east), was founded from here in 815 under the name "Corbeia nova“, This name did change to Corvey and since 2014 the "filia" Corvey is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Corbie Abbey was ruined during the Viking raids in 881, but got rebuilt. It was known later for its library. About 400 manuscripts were transferred to St. Germain des Prés in Paris mid 17th century. When the last monks left the abbey during the French Revolution these manuscripts were released to the market. Most of them are in St. Petersburg meanwhile, while most others, that had been transferred to nearby Amiens, are at the Bibliothèque Nationale. The former abbey church Saint-Pierre, seen here, now serves the parish. The predecessor Romanesque church was demolished in 1501 and the building of a Gothic church started here. It was completed 1775, just before the French Revolution changed everything. The church was really large, it was 117m long, the crossing tower was 90m high. After the Revolution the church was abandoned and used as a quarry. In 1816, after long discussions, when choir and transepts were lost already, architects came up with plans, to "create" a small church out of the ruin. This church is seen here. The nave now has a lenght of 37 meters, but the western towers still reach 55m.

Corbie - Somme

04 Jul 2014 292
The valley of the river Somme is dotted with ponds. This area was owned by Queen Balthild (since 860 "Saint Balthild"), wife of Clovis II and mother of Chlothar III and Childeric II. Around 660, she founded a convent here, that became the nucleus of the town Corbie. The Abbey of Corbie grew really important in Carolingian times. Saint Adalard, one of Charlemagne's cousins, was abbot here.