Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Altes Rathaus

Leipzig - Altes Rathaus

29 Jun 2023 3 109
Even before Leipzig was first mentioned in a document in 1015, a Slavic settlement existed here. The city was founded in 1165 when Margrave Otto the Rich of Meissen granted city and market rights to the city at the intersection of the Via Regia and the Via Imperii. Leipzig was in the Margraviate of Meissen, which became part of the Electorate of Saxony in 1439. Leipzig then belonged to the Duchy of Saxony, whose capital was chosen to be Dresden, which had been insignificant compared to Leipzig or Meissen. Leipzig was often the place where the state parliament met, but Leipzig was never a residence city or a bishop's seat and has always been shaped by the urban bourgeoisie. The University of Leipzig was founded in 1409 as "Alma Mater Lipsiensis" and was thus one of the three oldest universities in Germany. After being elevated to the status of "Reichsmessestadt" (imperial trade fair city) in 1497 and an extension of the staple right by the future Emperor Maximilian I, Leipzig became a trade fair city of European standing. It developed into the most important German trading center for the exchange of goods between Eastern and Western Europe. Alongside London, the Leipziger Brühl became the international trade center for the fur industry, and the important role played by the Leipzig Jewish community was closely linked to it. In 1539, the Reformation was finally introduced in Leipzig by Luther and Justus Jonas. Over decades, the development of Leipzig was characterized above all by the constantly improving living conditions. As a trading and trade fair city of increasing importance, Leipzig benefited from the wealthy Leipzig merchant class. The Thirty Years' War was a severe cut in the prosperous development of the city. Between 1631 and 1642 the city was besieged five times, from 1642 to 1650 it was occupied by the Swedes. The "Völkerschlacht" (Battle of Leipzig) near Leipzig took place in 1813. In this battle, the allied armies of Austria, Prussia, Russia and Sweden defeated Napoleon's troops and their allies which ultimately led to Napoleon's banishment to the island of Elba. During WWII there were frequent air raids on the city, which led to considerable destruction of the city center. In 1989, the Monday demonstrations that started at the Nikolaikirche helped herald the end of the GDR. With the occupation of the district administration for state security by demonstrators on December 4, 1989, state surveillance measures ended in Leipzig. Leipzig´s Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) dominates the east side of Leipzig's market square In 1341the Leipzig, cloth makers were given a representative building south of the market square. A Leipzig town hall was first mentioned in documents in 1360. Due to the growth of Leipzig and the resulting additional tasks of the city council, extensions were made to the north side of the cloth house. In addition to being the seat of the councilors, the town hall has also housed the jury courts, the town judge, the council archives and prison cells in the basement for a while since the late 16th century. The ballroom with a length of about 40 meters was the largest event location in the city for a long time and was accordingly used for public receptions and festivities. At the end of the 19th century, the town hall proved to be too small for the fast-growing city. Decades of discussions ensued about demolishing and building a new one on the same site. The new town hall was finally built in 1899 in place of the Pleissenburg. The preservation of the old town hall was decided in 1905.

Wroclaw - Stary Ratusz

22 May 2022 4 118
The history of Wroclaw dates back more than a thousand years. At various times, it has been part of the Kingdom of Poland, the Kingdom of Bohemia, the Kingdom of Hungary, the Habsburg monarchy of Austria, the Kingdom of Prussia, and Germany. Wrocław became part of Poland again in 1945 as part of the result of extensive border changes and expulsions after WWII. In 990 Mieszko I of Poland conquered Silesia and Wrocław. The town became a commercial center. In the 12th century Polish, Bohemian, Jewish, Walloon, and German communities existed here. Wroclaw was devastated in 1241 during the first Mongol invasion of Poland. In the 13th century due to migration from Saxony and Bavaria, Wroclaw got germanised. The population adopted the German language and culture and the name changed to Breslau. Between 1342 and 1344 two fires destroyed large parts of the city, which was a part of the Bohemian Kingdom at that time. Charles IV`s , successors Wenceslaus and Sigismund became involved in a long-lasting feud with the city and its magistrate, culminating in the revolt in 1418 when local craftsmen killed seven councilors. After the city had defeated the Bohemian Hussites the city was besieged by a combined Polish-Czech force in 1474, however, a ceasefire was signed, according to which the city remained under Hungarian rule. The Reformation reached Breslau already in 1518, and in 1523 the town council unanimously appointed a new pastor and thus introduced the Reformation in Breslau. In 1526, the Habsburg monarchy of Austria inherited Bohemia, Silesia, and the city of Breslau. In 1609 German emperor Rudolf II granted the free exercise of church services to all Bohemian and Silesian Protestants. In the following Thirty Years' War, the city suffered badly. It was occupied by Saxon and Swedish troops and lost 18,000 of its 40,000 residents to the plague. The Counter-Reformation had started with Rudolf II who encouraged Catholic orders to settle in Breslau. The dominance of the German population under the Habsburg rule in the city became more visible, while the Polish population diminished in numbers. After Frederick the Great besieged the city for a year, it surrendered in 1741. In 1742, Queen Maria Theresa handed over Silesia to the Prussian king. - The Old Town Hall stands at the center of Rynek, the city’s Market Square. The Gothic town hall, built from the 13th century on, is a main landmark of the city. The first mention of it dates back to 1299. At that time the building did serve mainly for trade. Until the 16th century, several structural extensions and reconstructions took place. Between 1328 and 1333 the building was extended; it received a second floor, in which the rooms for the town council were located. Between 1343 and 1357, a courtroom was added to the second floor. In addition, the west tower was raised and extended. The biggest reconstruction of the building took place between 1470 and 1480, the building was significantly enlarged and received a late Gothic facade. At the beginning of the 19th century, the old building became too small for the administration. Between 1860 and 1863, a neo-Gothic extension was built next to the existing town hall, the New Town Hall. After the opening of the new building became the historical town hall. Since the beginning of the 20th century, it has served as a city museum. In the cellar rooms, there is still the tavern "Schweidnitzer Keller", which has existed since about 1275.

Wroclaw - Stary Ratusz

22 May 2022 4 61
The history of Wroclaw dates back more than a thousand years. At various times, it has been part of the Kingdom of Poland, the Kingdom of Bohemia, the Kingdom of Hungary, the Habsburg monarchy of Austria, the Kingdom of Prussia, and Germany. Wrocław became part of Poland again in 1945 as part of the result of extensive border changes and expulsions after WWII. In 990 Mieszko I of Poland conquered Silesia and Wrocław. The town became a commercial center. In the 12th century Polish, Bohemian, Jewish, Walloon, and German communities existed here. Wroclaw was devastated in 1241 during the first Mongol invasion of Poland. In the 13th century due to migration from Saxony and Bavaria, Wroclaw got germanised. The population adopted the German language and culture and the name changed to Breslau. Between 1342 and 1344 two fires destroyed large parts of the city, which was a part of the Bohemian Kingdom at that time. Charles IV`s , successors Wenceslaus and Sigismund became involved in a long-lasting feud with the city and its magistrate, culminating in the revolt in 1418 when local craftsmen killed seven councilors. After the city had defeated the Bohemian Hussites the city was besieged by a combined Polish-Czech force in 1474, however, a ceasefire was signed, according to which the city remained under Hungarian rule. The Reformation reached Breslau already in 1518, and in 1523 the town council unanimously appointed a new pastor and thus introduced the Reformation in Breslau. In 1526, the Habsburg monarchy of Austria inherited Bohemia, Silesia, and the city of Breslau. In 1609 German emperor Rudolf II granted the free exercise of church services to all Bohemian and Silesian Protestants. In the following Thirty Years' War, the city suffered badly. It was occupied by Saxon and Swedish troops and lost 18,000 of its 40,000 residents to the plague. The Counter-Reformation had started with Rudolf II who encouraged Catholic orders to settle in Breslau. The dominance of the German population under the Habsburg rule in the city became more visible, while the Polish population diminished in numbers. After Frederick the Great besieged the city for a year, it surrendered in 1741. In 1742, Queen Maria Theresa handed over Silesia to the Prussian king. - The Old Town Hall stands at the center of Rynek, the city’s Market Square. The Gothic town hall, built from the 13th century on, is a main landmark of the city. The first mention of it dates back to 1299. At that time the building did serve mainly for trade. Until the 16th century, several structural extensions and reconstructions took place. Between 1328 and 1333 the building was extended; it received a second floor, in which the rooms for the town council were located. Between 1343 and 1357, a courtroom was added to the second floor. In addition, the west tower was raised and extended. The biggest reconstruction of the building took place between 1470 and 1480, the building was significantly enlarged and received a late Gothic facade. At the beginning of the 19th century, the old building became too small for the administration. Between 1860 and 1863, a neo-Gothic extension was built next to the existing town hall, the New Town Hall. After the opening of the new building became the historical town hall. Since the beginning of the 20th century, it has served as a city museum. In the cellar rooms, there is still the tavern "Schweidnitzer Keller", which has existed since about 1275.

Olsztyn - Stary Ratusz

08 Dec 2021 3 1 124
From 1230 to 1283 the Teutonic Order conquered the entire territory of the Slavic Prussians. In 1243 the bishop of Warmia received 1/3 of the territory of his diocese for his maintenance. The town was founded in 1353 under the name of Allensteyn by the chapter of the cathedral of Warmia on its territory. At that time, the castle was already under construction. In 1454 the town joined the Prussian Confederation against the Teutonic Order. The townspeople captured the castle and recognized the sovereignty of the Polish king, but a year later the town was reconquered by the Teutonic Order. During the war the town was in flames several times. By the peace treaty in 1466, Olsztyn and the entire Duchy of Warmia came under Polish sovereignty. For centuries the city was an important centre of trade, crafts, science and administration in the Warmia region. The "Stary Ratusz" (Old Town Hall) is originally a late Gothic building, which was rebuilt in the Baroque style. At the end of WWII, the building burned down and was rebuilt in 1946 - 1949.

Hannover - Altes Rathaus PiP

14 Jul 2021 3 1 106
With more than 500.000 inhabitants Hannover is the capital and largest city of the German state of Lower Saxony. Hannover was founded in medieval times on the east bank of the River Leine. It was a small village of ferrymen and fishermen. It became a comparatively large town in the 13th century, receiving town privileges in 1241, owing to its position at a natural crossroads. It was connected to the Hanseatic League city of Bremen by the Leine and was situated north-west of the Harz mountains so that east-west traffic passed through it. In the 14th century the main churches of Hanover were built, as well as a city wall with three city gates. Between 1714 and 1837 three kings of Great Britain were concurrently also Electoral Princes of Hanover. As an important railway and road junction and production centre, Hannover was a major target for strategic bombing during World War II. More than 90% of the city centre was destroyed in a total of 88 bombing raids. So today Hannover lacks it´s medieval heart. Only a few buildings got rebuilt and restored. - The Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus) was the first town hall of the city of Hannover. It is Hannover´s oldest secular building, erected in the Brick Gothic style. The erection of the building started in 1410. But it underwent several reconstructions and extensions. The original first floor became today's basement due to late medieval fills. In 1844, a renovation of the wings took place and one half-timbered wing of the 16th century was demolished and replaced by what is now nicknamed the "Doge's Palace", which houses the registry office. When the old town hall was to be demolished at the end of the 19th century, a citizens' initiative was formed. The building was ultimately spared. It was renovated from 1877 to 1891, restoring it to the assumed condition from the time it was built, as this was considered a "pure" architectural style. The air raids on Hanover in 1943 led to the partial destruction of the building complex. Restorations took place in 1953 and in 1964 the show gable on the west side was reconstructed. A peculiar little relief on the town hall. What did the mayor want to tell his citizens with it?

Hannover - Altes Rathaus

14 Jul 2021 1 98
With more than 500.000 inhabitants Hannover is the capital and largest city of the German state of Lower Saxony. Hannover was founded in medieval times on the east bank of the River Leine. It was a small village of ferrymen and fishermen. It became a comparatively large town in the 13th century, receiving town privileges in 1241, owing to its position at a natural crossroads. It was connected to the Hanseatic League city of Bremen by the Leine and was situated north-west of the Harz mountains so that east-west traffic passed through it. In the 14th century the main churches of Hanover were built, as well as a city wall with three city gates. Between 1714 and 1837 three kings of Great Britain were concurrently also Electoral Princes of Hanover. As an important railway and road junction and production centre, Hannover was a major target for strategic bombing during World War II. More than 90% of the city centre was destroyed in a total of 88 bombing raids. So today Hannover lacks it´s medieval heart. Only a few buildings got rebuilt and restored. - The Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus) was the first town hall of the city of Hannover. It is Hannover´s oldest secular building, erected in the Brick Gothic style. The erection of the building started in 1410. But it underwent several reconstructions and extensions. The original first floor became today's basement due to late medieval fills. In 1844, a renovation of the wings took place and one half-timbered wing of the 16th century was demolished and replaced by what is now nicknamed the "Doge's Palace", which houses the registry office. When the old town hall was to be demolished at the end of the 19th century, a citizens' initiative was formed. The building was ultimately spared. It was renovated from 1877 to 1891, restoring it to the assumed condition from the time it was built, as this was considered a "pure" architectural style. The air raids on Hanover in 1943 led to the partial destruction of the building complex. Restorations took place in 1953 and in 1964 the show gable on the west side was reconstructed.

Hannover - Altes Rathaus

14 Jul 2021 1 97
With more than 500.000 inhabitants Hannover is the capital and largest city of the German state of Lower Saxony. Hannover was founded in medieval times on the east bank of the River Leine. It was a small village of ferrymen and fishermen. It became a comparatively large town in the 13th century, receiving town privileges in 1241, owing to its position at a natural crossroads. It was connected to the Hanseatic League city of Bremen by the Leine and was situated north-west of the Harz mountains so that east-west traffic passed through it. In the 14th century the main churches of Hanover were built, as well as a city wall with three city gates. Between 1714 and 1837 three kings of Great Britain were concurrently also Electoral Princes of Hanover. As an important railway and road junction and production centre, Hannover was a major target for strategic bombing during World War II. More than 90% of the city centre was destroyed in a total of 88 bombing raids. So today Hannover lacks it´s medieval heart. Only a few buildings got rebuilt and restored. - The Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus) was the first town hall of the city of Hannover. It is Hannover´s oldest secular building, erected in the Brick Gothic style. The erection of the building started in 1410. But it underwent several reconstructions and extensions. The original first floor became today's basement due to late medieval fills. In 1844, a renovation of the wings took place and one half-timbered wing of the 16th century was demolished and replaced by what is now nicknamed the "Doge's Palace", which houses the registry office. When the old town hall was to be demolished at the end of the 19th century, a citizens' initiative was formed. The building was ultimately spared. It was renovated from 1877 to 1891, restoring it to the assumed condition from the time it was built, as this was considered a "pure" architectural style. The air raids on Hanover in 1943 led to the partial destruction of the building complex. Restorations took place in 1953 and in 1964 the show gable on the west side was reconstructed.

Hannover - Altes Rathaus

14 Jul 2021 1 101
With more than 500.000 inhabitants Hannover is the capital and largest city of the German state of Lower Saxony. Hannover was founded in medieval times on the east bank of the River Leine. It was a small village of ferrymen and fishermen that became a comparatively large town in the 13th century, receiving town privileges in 1241, owing to its position at a natural crossroads. It was connected to the Hanseatic League city of Bremen by the Leine and was situated north-west of the Harz mountains, so that east-west traffic passed through it. In the 14th century the main churches of Hanover were built, as well as a city wall with three city gates. Between 1714 and 1837 three kings of Great Britain were concurrently also Electoral Princes of Hanover. As an important railway and road junction and production centre, Hannover was a major target for strategic bombing during World War II. More than 90% of the city centre was destroyed in a total of 88 bombing raids. So today Hannover lacks it´s medieval heart. Only few buildings got rebuilt and restored. - The Old Town Hall (Altes Rathhaus) was the first town hall of the city of Hannover. It is Hannover´s oldest secular building, erected in the Brick Gothic style. The erection of the building started in 1410. But it underwent several reconstructions and extensions. The original first floor became today's basement due to late medieval fills . In 1844, a renovation of the wings took place and one half timbered wing of the 16th century, was demolished and replaced by what is now nicknamed the "Doge's Palace", which houses the registry office. When the old town hall was to be demolished at the end of the 19th century, a citizens' initiative was formed. The building was ultimately spared. It was renovated from 1877 to 1891, restoring it to the assumed condition from the time it was built, as this was considered a "pure" architectural style. The air raids on Hanover in 1943 led to the partial destruction of the building complex. Restorations took place in 1953 and in 1964 the show gable on the west side was reconstructed.

Kelheim - Altes Rathaus

04 Feb 2021 138
Kelheim is situated at the confluence of the rivers Altmühl and Danube. Kelheim was first mentioned in the 9th century when it was the seat of a count. 200 years later it was owned by the House of Wittelsbach. Duke Ludwig I (aka "Ludwig der Kelheimer") made Kelheim to one of his favourite residences. After his murder on the bridge in Kehlheim in 1231, the Wittelsbachers moved the residence to Landshut. The crime was never cleared up since the murderer was immediately lynched, though many suspected Emperor Frederick II to be behind the deed. The support of the House of Wittelsbach continued as Kelheim was an important Danube crossing. It developed into an important trading point for wine, salt, fish, cattle, stones and wood. In 1548 the city had its town hall representative built on the middle of the street crossing. After its demolition (1824), the town clerk's house became the town hall. This was built in 1598 and renovated in the 17th century.

Lindau - Altes Rathaus

19 Jan 2021 1 148
Lindau, located near the borders to Austria and Switzerland, was mentioned first time in 882 when a nunnery was founded here. The old town is on an island, which meanwhile is connected with the mainland by a road bridge and a railway dam. The church of St. Stephan was built around 1180, Franciscans founded a monastery here in 1224. In 1274/75 Lindau became an Imperial Free City under King Rudolf I. Lindau became Protestant in 1528. The nunnery remained Catholic while the Franciscan monastery, from which the first Reformation preachers came, was closed. During the Thirty Years' War, Lindau was unsuccessfully besieged by Swedish troops in 1646/47. Between 1445 and 1761, 18 people were indicted in witch trials in Lindau. The last victim of the witch hunt was Maria Madlener, who was executed on August 4, 1730. The former Rathaus (town hall) was originally built in Gothic style in 1422 and rebuilt in Renaissance style with a stepped gable in 1576. The façade facing today´s pedestrian zone is also adorned by a large, roofed, originally wooden outside staircase. In 1496/1497 the Reichstag convened by Emperor Maximilian I was held here. Today the building hosts the former "Reichsstädtische Bibliothek" (Imperial City Library). www.lindau.de/adressen/ehemals-reichsstaedtische-bibliothek/