Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Angels and Shepherds

Antigny - Notre-Dame

12 May 2014 1 232
Notre Dame, the parish church of the small town of Attigny, dates back to the 12th century was built, where a merovingian chapel, placed in the center of a large merovingian necropolis, stood before. It is proven, that Notre Dame in 1184 existed in dependence of the Benedictian monastery (4kms north). The structure seen today was altered rebuilt and renovated many times. Notre Dame is known for its frescoes. In 1421 Renaud de Montléon, squire of the noble Seigneurs de Boismorand, bequeathed by last will, that a chapel should be erected here. This chapel, dedicated to Sainte-Catherine, was built and all the walls were covered with frescoes between 1430 and 1490. Seen here in the center is the "Adoration of the Magi". Left of them are the "Angels and Shepherds" and to the right the "Massacre of the Innocents". Below is the Flagellation of Christ - and above three knights meeting three devils. Many churches in the valley of the Gartempe river are decorated with murals. Tourists may follow "Circuit Vallée des Fresques".