Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Vigeois
Vigeois - Saint-Pierre
01 Apr 2014 |
|
The parish church of Vigois is the last structure of the former "Abbaye Saint-Pierre", founded here by Yrieix du Limousin (aka "St. Yriex", "Aredius") within the 6th century.
So the "Abbaye Saint-Pierre" was one of the oldest convents within the Limousin.
In the 9th century the Normans (Vikings) looted and ruined the abbey. After some decades, the abbey recovered and got rebuilt. In 1070 it burnt down. Since 1082 it was dependent from Cluniac Saint-Martial Abbey in Limoges and prospered during the 12th century.
Destroyed again during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt again by the Bishop of Limoges. During the Wars of Religions Huguenot troops burnt down the nave of the church and vandalized many of the carvings. Another fire hit the church in 1705, when it fell into disrepair.
All buildings of the convent got demolished after the French Revolution, only the Saint-Pierre, now the parish church, survived the times. The renovation of the nave was completed in the 1860s. Apse and crossing, seen here, got restored early 20th century. The large apse never got severely damaged. Only some carvings are mutilated, but most of the capitals, dating back to the 12th-century, are still in situ.
Around the apse are some interesting capitals.
As the person to the very left can only be Lazarus, the couple in front can only be the rich man and his wife. Actually this capital may correspond to the rich man´s death (previous uplaod).
Luke 16:19-21
"There was a certain rich man who clothed himself in purple and fine linen, and who feasted luxuriously every day. At his gate lay a certain poor man named Lazarus who was covered with sores. Lazarus longed to eat the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. Instead, dogs would come and lick his sores."
Vigeois - Saint-Pierre
01 Apr 2014 |
|
|
The parish church of Vigois is the last structure of the former "Abbaye Saint-Pierre", founded here by Yrieix du Limousin (aka "St. Yriex", "Aredius") within the 6th century. So the "Abbaye Saint-Pierre" was one of the oldest convents within the Limousin.
In the 9th century the Normans (Vikings) looted and ruined the abbey. After some decades, the abbey recovered and got rebuilt. In 1070 it burnt down. Since 1082 it was dependent from Cluniac Saint-Martial Abbey in Limoges and prospered during the 12th century.
Destroyed again during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt again by the Bishop of Limoges. During the Wars of Religions Huguenot troops burnt down the nave of the church and vandalized many of the carvings. Another fire hit the church in 1705, when it fell into disrepair.
All buildings of the convent got demolished after the French Revolution, only the Saint-Pierre, now the parish church, survived the times. The renovation of the nave was completed in the 1860s. Apse and crossing, seen here, got restored early 20th century. The large apse never got severely damaged. Only some carvings are mutilated, but most of the capitals, dating back to the 12th-century, are still in situ.
Around the apse are some interesting capitals. Here is the death of a sinner. The devil grabbed his soul. The devil´s body is lost, but one of his feet clings to the bedpost.
Vigeois - Saint-Pierre
01 Apr 2014 |
|
The parish church of Vigois is the last structure of the former "Abbaye Saint-Pierre", founded here by Yrieix du Limousin (aka "St. Yriex", "Aredius") within the 6th century.
So the "Abbaye Saint-Pierre" was one of the oldest convents within the Limousin.
In the 9th century the Normans (Vikings) looted and ruined the abbey. After some decades, the abbey recovered and got rebuilt. In 1070 it burnt down. Since 1082 it was dependent from Cluniac Saint-Martial Abbey in Limoges and prospered during the 12th century.
Destroyed again during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt again by the Bishop of Limoges. During the Wars of Religions Huguenot troops burnt down the nave of the church and vandalized many of the carvings. Another fire hit the church in 1705, when it fell into disrepair.
All buildings of the convent got demolished after the French Revolution, only the Saint-Pierre, now the parish church, survived the times. The renovation of the nave was completed in the 1860s. Apse and crossing, seen here, got restored early 20th century. The large apse never got severely damaged. Only some carvings are mutilated, but most of the capitals, dating back to the 12th-century, are still in situ.
Around the apse are some interesting capitals. This is one of them, though it seems so unweathered compared to the other carvings around, that it may be newer. It depicts a psichostasia, the the "Weighing of the Soul". A theme, I had just seen in Lagrauliere, just 10kms east.
Vigeois - Saint-Pierre
01 Apr 2014 |
|
The parish church of Vigois is the last structure of the former "Abbaye Saint-Pierre", founded here by Yrieix du Limousin (aka "St. Yriex", "Aredius") within the 6th century.
So the "Abbaye Saint-Pierre" was one of the oldest convents within the Limousin.
In the 9th century the Normans (Vikings) looted and ruined the abbey. After some decades, the abbey recovered and got rebuilt. In 1070 it burnt down. Since 1082 it was dependent from Cluniac Saint-Martial Abbey in Limoges and prospered during the 12th century.
Destroyed again during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt again by the Bishop of Limoges. During the Wars of Religions Huguenot troops burnt down the nave of the church and vandalized many of the carvings. Another fire hit the church in 1705, when it fell into disrepair.
All buildings of the convent got demolished after the French Revolution, only the Saint-Pierre, now the parish church, survived the times. The renovation of the nave was completed in the 1860s. Apse and crossing, seen here, got restored early 20th century. The large apse never got severely damaged. Only some carvings are mutilated, but most of the capitals, dating back to the 12th-century, are still in situ.
Around the apse and the radial chapels are corbels and some interesting capitals
Vigeois - Saint-Pierre
01 Apr 2014 |
|
The parish church of Vigois is the last structure of the former "Abbaye Saint-Pierre", founded here by Yrieix du Limousin (aka "St. Yriex", "Aredius") within the 6th century.
So the "Abbaye Saint-Pierre" was one of the oldest convents within the Limousin.
In the 9th century the Normans (Vikings) looted and ruined the abbey. After some decades, the abbey recovered and got rebuilt. In 1070 it burnt down. Since 1082 it was dependent from Cluniac Saint-Martial Abbey in Limoges and prospered during the 12th century.
Destroyed again during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt again by the Bishop of Limoges. During the Wars of Religions Huguenot troops burnt down the nave of the church and vandalized many of the carvings. Another fire hit the church in 1705, when it fell into disrepair.
All buildings of the convent got demolished after the French Revolution, only the Saint-Pierre, now the parish church, survived the times. The renovation of the nave was completed in the 1860s. Apse and crossing, seen here, got restored early 20th century. The large apse never got severely damaged. Only some carvings are mutilated, but most of the capitals, dating back to the 12th-century, are still in situ.
Depicted here may be a medieval "translation". A large reliquary, containing the holy relics, is carried through the gate into a town, where the shrine is welcomed by Christ (cross nimbus) and a saint (nimbus).
Vigeois - Saint-Pierre
01 Apr 2014 |
|
|
The parish church of Vigois is the last structure of the former "Abbaye Saint-Pierre", founded here by Yrieix du Limousin (aka "St. Yriex", "Aredius") within the 6th century. So the "Abbaye Saint-Pierre" was one of the oldest convents within the Limousin.
In the 9th century the Normans (Vikings) looted and ruined the abbey. After some decades, the abbey recovered and got rebuilt. In 1070 it burnt down. Since 1082 it was dependent from Cluniac Saint-Martial Abbey in Limoges and prospered during the 12th century.
Destroyed again during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt again by the Bishop of Limoges. During the Wars of Religions Huguenot troops burnt down the nave of the church and vandalized many of the carvings. Another fire hit the church in 1705, when it fell into disrepair.
All buildings of the convent got demolished after the French Revolution, only the Saint-Pierre, now the parish church, survived the times. The renovation of the nave was completed in the 1860s. Apse and crossing, seen here, got restored early 20th century. The large apse never got severely damaged. Only some carvings are mutilated, but most of the capitals, dating back to the 12th-century, are still in situ.
Here is a capital, that may depict the "Temptation of Christ". A really horrible huge devil cannot frighten Christ, seated in a mandorla.
Vigeois - Saint-Pierre
01 Apr 2014 |
|
The parish church of Vigois is the last structure of the former "Abbaye Saint-Pierre", founded here by Yrieix du Limousin (aka "St. Yriex", "Aredius") within the 6th century.
So the "Abbaye Saint-Pierre" was one of the oldest convents within the Limousin.
In the 9th century the Normans (Vikings) looted and ruined the abbey. After some decades, the abbey recovered and got rebuilt. In 1070 it burnt down. Since 1082 it was dependent from Cluniac Saint-Martial Abbey in Limoges and prospered during the 12th century.
Destroyed again during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt again by the Bishop of Limoges. During the Wars of Religions Huguenot troops burnt down the nave of the church and vandalized many of the carvings. Another fire hit the church in 1705, when it fell into disrepair.
All buildings of the convent got demolished after the French Revolution, only the Saint-Pierre, now the parish church, survived the times. The renovation of the nave was completed in the 1860s. Apse and crossing, seen here, got restored early 20th century. The large apse never got severely damaged. Only some carvings are mutilated, but most of the capitals, dating back to the 12th-century, are still in situ.
Vigeois - Saint-Pierre
31 Mar 2014 |
|
The parish church of Vigois is the last structure of the former "Abbaye Saint-Pierre", founded here by Yrieix du Limousin (aka "St. Yriex", "Aredius") within the 6th century.
So the "Abbaye Saint-Pierre" was one of the oldest convents within the Limousin.
In the 9th century the Normans (Vikings) looted and ruined the abbey. After some decades, the abbey recovered and got rebuilt. In 1070 it burnt down. Since 1082 it was dependent from Cluniac Saint-Martial Abbey in Limoges and prospered during the 12th century.
Destroyed again during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt again by the Bishop of Limoges. During the Wars of Religions Huguenot troops burnt down the nave of the church and vandalized many of the carvings. Another fire hit the church in 1705, when it fell into disrepair.
All buildings of the convent got demolished after the French Revolution, only the Saint-Pierre, now the parish church, survived the times. The renovation of the nave was completed in the 1860s. Apse and crossing got restored early 20th century.
Here is the polylobed arch of northern portal, typical for mozarabic architecture. There are birds (damaged), lions and to the right St. Peter and St. Paul.
Vigeois - Saint-Pierre
31 Mar 2014 |
|
The parish church of Vigois is the last structure of the former "Abbaye Saint-Pierre", founded here by Yrieix du Limousin (aka "St. Yriex", "Aredius") within the 6th century.
So the "Abbaye Saint-Pierre" was one of the oldest convents within the Limousin.
In the 9th century the Normans (Vikings) looted and ruined the abbey. After some decades, the abbey recovered and got rebuilt. In 1070 it burnt down. Since 1082 it was dependent from Cluniac Saint-Martial Abbey in Limoges and prospered during the 12th century.
Destroyed again during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt again by the Bishop of Limoges. During the Wars of Religions Huguenot troops burnt down the nave of the church and vandalized many of the carvings. Another fire hit the church in 1705, when it fell into disrepair.
All buildings of the convent got demolished after the French Revolution, only the Saint-Pierre, now the parish church, survived the times. The renovation of the nave was completed in the 1860s. Apse and crossing got restored early 20th century.
Here is the northern portal, that show mozarabic influence. The two seated saints, flanking the portal, are beheaded.Below the left saint is a small lion.
Vigeois - Saint-Pierre
31 Mar 2014 |
|
|
The parish church of Vigois is the last structure of the former "Abbaye Saint-Pierre", founded here by Yrieix du Limousin (aka "St. Yriex", "Aredius") within the 6th century.
So the "Abbaye Saint-Pierre" was one of the oldest convents within the Limousin.
In the 9th century the Normans (Vikings) looted and ruined the abbey. After some decades, the abbey recovered and got rebuilt. In 1070 it burnt down. Since 1082 it was dependent from Cluniac Saint-Martial Abbey in Limoges and prospered during the 12th century.
Destroyed again during the Hundred Years War, rebuilt again by the Bishop of Limoges. During the Wars of Religions Huguenot troops burnt down the nave of the church and vandalized many of the carvings. Another fire hit the church in 1705, when it fell into disrepair.
All buildings of the convent got demolished after the French Revolution, only the Saint-Pierre, now the parish church, survived the times. The renovation of the nave was completed in the 1860s. Apse and crossing got restored early 20th century.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Vigeois" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter