Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Mostuéjouls

Mostuéjouls - Notre-Dame-des-Champs

02 Apr 2020 4 106
This chapel is known since 1082, as it is mentioned in the records of the Saint Victor Abbey of Marseille. Dedicated to Saint Pierre, it was used as a parish church but as well as the church of the priory. At the end of the 12th century, the monks reinforced the walls and added the rectangular buttresses on the outer walls. This was necessary, as the Tarn river is nearby and the frequent floodings were threatening. During the 16th and 17th century larger modifications were done, but after it lost its status as a parish church in 1742 and started to crumble. In the 19th century, it was used as a barn. From 1896 to 1897 a local priest restored it to make it a sanctuary for the Virgin Mary. So the church got the name "Notre Dame des Champs". Nowadays the church is used for cultural events. In summer 2019 it hosted an exhibition about the beginning of the tourist industry around the gorge in the second half of the 19th century.

Mostuéjouls - Notre-Dame-des-Champs

01 Apr 2020 3 130
This chapel is known since 1082, as it is mentioned in the records of the Saint Victor Abbey of Marseille. Dedicated to Saint Pierre, it was used as a parish church but as well as the church of the priory. At the end of the 12th century, the monks reinforced the walls and added the rectangular buttresses on the outer walls. This was necessary, as the Tarn river is nearby and the frequent floodings were threatening. During the 16th and 17th century larger modifications were done, but after it lost its status as a parish church in 1742 and started to crumble. In the 19th century, it was used as a barn. From 1896 to 1897 a local priest restored it to make it a sanctuary for the Virgin Mary. So the church got the name "Notre Dame des Champs".