Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Grablegung
Rostock - Kulturhistorisches Museum
29 Oct 2021 |
|
With more than 200.000 inhabitants Rostock is the largest city in the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.
Small Slavic settlements existed already in the 8th century. A settlement named Roztok was founded in the 11th century by Polabian Slavs. This town was burnt down by troops of the Danish king Valdemar I in 1161. Afterwards the place was settled by German traders.
After 1226 Rostock became the seat of the Lordship of Rostock.
In the 1250s the city became a member of the Hanseatic League. In the 14th century, it was a powerful seaport town with 12,000 inhabitants and the largest city in Mecklenburg. Ships for cruising the Baltic Sea were constructed in Rostock. Until the last Hansa Convention in 1669, Rostock took a leading role in the Baltic Sea behind Lübeck.
-
The museum, founded mid 19th century, is hosted in the "Kloster zum Heiligen Kreuz", that got finally dissolved in 1920. The conversion into a museum began already in 1976, but the restoration of the buildings remained incomplete until 1997.
The winged Nonnenaltar (nun's altar) was created in the early 16th century. Its former location was in the church's nuns' gallery, thus the name. The wings show depictions from the legend of the finding of the cross by Empress Helena.
The entombment of Jesus and Christ's descent into hell. Both details of the predella.
Villeneuve-l’Archevêque - Notre Dame
23 Feb 2021 |
|
|
Villeneuve-l’Archevêque was founded by the Archbishop of Sens in the second half of the 12th century. The town was built on a checkerboard plan and protected by a wall. All the straight and wide streets were aligned parallel. Two transverse lanes and a few alleys, connect the parallel streets. Due to hostile feudal neighbours, fearing the loss of political power, the start was pretty difficult. It was supported by the Archbishop of Sens Guillaume aux Blanches Mains, whose brother was the Count of Champagne.
Villeneuve experienced a certain economic success. In 1177, the king allowed the establishment of a market there. A hall was built to house the stalls and two fairs were established here.
Notre-Dame dates from the time, when the village was founded. The church was largely remodelled in the 13th century with its Gothic nave, then in the 16th century, with the reconstruction of the transept and the choir in 1530-1540.
The "Mise au Tombeau" (entombment, the burial of Jesus) is attributed to the Master of Chaource. It was originally created in 1528 for the Abbaye de Vauluisant, which was secularized in the Revolution.
The PiP has the Mise au Tombeau in Chaource.
Villeneuve-l’Archevêque - Notre Dame
22 Feb 2021 |
|
|
|
Villeneuve-l’Archevêque was founded by the Archbishop of Sens in the second half of the 12th century. The town was built on a checkerboard plan and protected by a wall. All the straight and wide streets were aligned parallel. Two transverse lanes and a few alleys, connect the parallel streets. Due to hostile feudal neighbours, fearing the loss of political power, the start was pretty difficult. It was supported by the Archbishop of Sens Guillaume aux Blanches Mains, whose brother was the Count of Champagne.
Villeneuve experienced a certain economic success. In 1177, the king allowed the establishment of a market there. A hall was built to house the stalls and two fairs were established here.
Notre-Dame dates from the time, when the village was founded. The church was largely remodelled in the 13th century with its Gothic nave, then in the 16th century, with the reconstruction of the transept and the choir in 1530-1540.
The "Mise au Tombeau" (entombment, the burial of Jesus) is attributed to the Master of Chaource. It was originally created in 1528 for the Abbaye de Vauluisant, which was secularized in the Revolution.
Andernach - Maria Himmelfahrt
17 Feb 2021 |
|
Andernach is a very old Roman settlement in Germany. Already in the Gallic War Gaius Iulius Caesar had a bridge build in 55BC. over the Rhine in just ten days. 55 BC. The settlement was named Antunnacum and the place, where the Rhine Valley narrows near Andernach, was called "Porta Antunnacensis" by the Romans.
After the Romans had left, the Franks took over and Andernach became a royal seat of the Merovingians. In 859 the Kings Charles the Bald, Louis II (the German) and Lothair II met here for a discussion, that was not really a success. After Louis II´s death in 876, Charles the Bald asked Louis III. the surrender the areas left of the Rhine and began with the military conquest. This ended in the Battle of Andernach, in which Charles the Bald was defeated. In 882 and 883, the city was pillaged three times during the Viking raids in the Rhineland.
In 1167 Emperor Friedrich I ("Barbarossa") gave the imperial court of Andernach with coinage and customs rights to his imperial chancellor and archbishop of Cologne Rainald von Dassel, who had accompanied the Emperor on his wars in Italy (and brought the remains of the Magis to Cologne). with this takeover, the city slid into the dispute over the German throne between Otto IV (Guelphs) and Philip (Staufers). Philip of Swabia captured the city in 1198 and set it on fire. The old town church was also destroyed up to the current bell tower.
In 1194 Emperor Heinrich VI. handed Andernach over to Archbishop Johann I of Trier, which prompted him to build a larger new bishop's church (1198–1220). Andernach grew and got fortified. The complete medieval fortification secured the city with five double gates - as well as with 15 towers.
Maria Himmelfahrt (= Assumption of Mary) (aka "Mariendom"), was erected at the site of the church burned down by Philip of Swabia. The remaining free-standing bell tower was integrated into the new church building and now is oldest part of the building. The Archbishop of Trier Johann I had the new church built as a three-aisled basilica in the Rhenish Romanesque style around 1220.
The Mariendom had actually a couple of building and rebuilding phases. In the late 13th century some vaults collapsed, due to poor building site on which the church stands. The west building showed strong cracks. The large rose window was also replaced by a Gothic pointed arch window. In addition, the west towers received additional anchorages for stabilization.
After an inspection in 1722 the condition of the church was described as "ruinous". In 1739 plans came up considering the removal of the towers and the removal of the collapsed aisles. The commitment of Andernach's citizens saved the church from being rebuilt into a torso with partial demolition of the west towers and removal of the side aisles. From 1740 on the rebuilding of the damaged church was consistently pursued, especially the reconstruction of the collapsed aisles.
1899 the restoration work was finally completed with the interior painting. The state that is visible today corresponds roughly to that of the middle of the 13th century.
The entombment group from 1525 is similar to late Gothic groups in France.
Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathäa place the body of Christ in a sarcophagus. Behind it are the life-size figures of St. John and the mourning women: Mary, the mother of Jesus, Mary from Magdala, Mary Cleophae and the disciple Salome.
Clermont-en-Argonne - Saint-Didier
24 May 2020 |
|
|
Saint-Didier was built in the 16th century in a mixture of Gothic and Renaissance style. It burned down during the Great War after set on fire by German soldiers. Repair and rebuilding started in 1919.
This "Mise au tombeau" has actually six statues, as it is flanked by two very baroque wooden angels. It was located in a chapel of the Château de Clermont
At least the lady in the centre is attributed to Ligier Richier while the other two may have been created by another studio. The statue of Christ was probably carved prior 16th century.
Cérilly - Saint-Martin
06 May 2017 |
|
Saint-Martin was erected within the 12th/13th centuries, but got enlarged and altered, when in the 15th century side chapels were added.
Inside is this "Mise au tombeau" (Entombment) from 1699. It was financed by Pierre Lécuyer. Mr. Lécuyer is seen on his knees in the right corner of the ensemble.
Chaource - Saint-Jean-Baptiste
03 Mar 2016 |
|
|
The town of Chaource (pop. 1100) is known for the Chaource cheese and the church dedicated to Saint-Jean-Baptiste.
The choir was part of a church built within the 14th century, but from 1531 on the old nave got teared down and was replaced by nave and aisles seen here.
Steps lead down to the "Chapelle du Sépulcre", where the famous entombment is placed. The "mise au tombeau" was created by an unidentified sculptor, known under the name "Maitre de Chaource" around 1515.
Scholars are still discussing the identity of the Master, but - just like the much older "Maître de Cabestany" -, the name may stand for a studio or a workshop. There are more than a hundred of carvings in this typical, very realistic style in the Champagne area, attributed to him.
Mary Magdalene created by the "Maitre de Chaource".
Chaource - Saint-Jean-Baptiste
03 Mar 2016 |
|
|
The town of Chaource (pop. 1100) is known for the Chaource cheese and the church dedicated to Saint-Jean-Baptiste.
The choir was part of a church built within the 14th century, but from 1531 on the old nave got teared down and was replaced by nave and aisles seen here.
Steps lead down to the "Chapelle du Sépulcre", where the famous entombment is placed. The "mise au tombeau" was created by an unidentified sculptor, known under the name "Maitre de Chaource" around 1515.
Scholars are still discussing the identity of the Master, but - just like the much older "Maître de Cabestany" -, the name may stand for a studio or a workshop. There are more than a hundred of carvings in this typical, very realistic style in the Champagne area, attributed to him.
A detail of the entombment: Saint John created by the "Maitre de Chaource".
Chaource - Saint-Jean-Baptiste
03 Mar 2016 |
|
|
The town of Chaource (pop. 1100) is known for the Chaource cheese and the church dedicated to Saint-Jean-Baptiste.
The choir was part of a church built within the 14th century, but from 1531 on the old nave got teared down and was replaced by nave and aisles seen here.
Steps lead down to the "Chapelle du Sépulcre", where this entombment is placed. The "mise au tombeau" was created by an unidentified sculptor, known under the name "Maitre de Chaource" around 1515.
Scholars are still discussing the identity of the Master, but - just like the much older "Maître de Cabestany" -, the name may stand for a studio or a workshop. There are more than a hundred of carvings in this typical, very realistic style in the Champagne area, attributed to him.
Fltr:
Nicodemus, Virgin Mary, Saint John, Mary Salome, Mary Magdalene, Mary of Clopas and Joseph of Arimathea.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Grablegung" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter