Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Chaourse
Chaourse - Saint-Martin
22 Nov 2016 |
|
|
The village of Chaourse is known as the place, where in 1883 the "Chaourse Treasure" was found, a hoard of Roman silver from the 2nd and 3rd century, now in the British Museum. When the treasure was buried, the settlement´s name was "Catusiacum".
About thousand years later, when the church was burnt down during the Hundred Year´s War in 1337, the name had changed to "Chaorsia".
A royal edict from 1365 allowed the population to erect a protective wall around the church, what started the fortification of the church.
This baptismal font is dated to the 2nd quarter of the 12th century, so it is older then the church. It looks like a the font in Beaurain, a (simplified) copy of the font in the Cathedral of Leon.
Chaourse - Saint-Martin
22 Nov 2016 |
|
|
The village of Chaourse is known as the place, where in 1883 the "Chaorse Treasure" was found, a hoard of Roman silver from the 2nd and 3rd century and one of the most complete table services from antiquity still existing. Engravings tell, that it was once owned by "Genialis" and Cavarianus". But as the treasure was sold in 1893 it is meanwhile owned by the British Museum.
The treasure is gone, but fortified Saint Martin, dating to the 13th century is still in the center of the village. A royal edict from 1365 allowed the population to erect a protective wall around the church, what started the fortification od the church. Over the centuries the church got enlarged and got side portal in the Gothic flamboyant style.
Chaourse - Saint-Martin
22 Nov 2016 |
|
|
The village of Chaourse is known as the place, where in 1883 the "Chaorse Treasure" was found, a hoard of Roman silver from the 2nd and 3rd century and one of the most complete table services from antiquity still existing. Engravings tell, that it was once owned by "Genialis" and Cavarianus". But as the treasure was sold in 1893 it is meanwhile owned by the British Museum.
The treasure is gone, but fortified Saint Martin, dating to the 13th century is still in the center of the village. A royal edict from 1365 allowed the population to erect a protective wall around the church, what started the fortification od the church.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Chaourse" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter