Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: grimacing
Steyning - St Andrew and St Cuthman
05 Apr 2024 |
|
|
Steyning has existed since Anglo-Saxon times. Legend has it that St Cuthman, a Saxon saint, built a church here. King Alfred the Great's father, Æthelwulf of Wessex, was originally buried in that church, before being transferred to Winchester
To thank his Norman protectors for refuge during his exile, Edward the Confessor granted his church in Steyning, with its large and wealthy manor lands, to the Abbey at Fécamp. Steyning became a thriving town with a market, a royal mint. 60 years later Godwin, Earl of Wessex expelled the Norman monks in 1052 and seized Steyning for himself. This made sense as he did not want a Norman toehold in a potential invasion port, but William responded by swearing on a knife before setting out for England to recover it for the monks:
Upon his victory at Hastings, he honoured his promise and returned it to the monks. However, its strategic importance made William place William de Braose in a new castle at nearby Bramber, who began a vigorous boundary dispute with the monks.
The church of St Andrew and St Cuthman, begun around 1080, on the site of a lost Saxon church, the original Norman building was cruciform, and nearly twice the size of the present building. It had transepts and a much longer chancel than the present 19th century one, as well as two extra bays at the west end of the nave, where the 16th century flint chequerwork tower now stands.
Many of the corbels have grimacing faces
Steyning - St Andrew and St Cuthman
05 Apr 2024 |
|
Steyning has existed since Anglo-Saxon times. Legend has it that St Cuthman, a Saxon saint, built a church here. King Alfred the Great's father, Æthelwulf of Wessex, was originally buried in that church, before being transferred to Winchester
To thank his Norman protectors for refuge during his exile, Edward the Confessor granted his church in Steyning, with its large and wealthy manor lands, to the Abbey at Fécamp. Steyning became a thriving town with a market, a royal mint. 60 years later Godwin, Earl of Wessex expelled the Norman monks in 1052 and seized Steyning for himself. This made sense as he did not want a Norman toehold in a potential invasion port, but William responded by swearing on a knife before setting out for England to recover it for the monks:
Upon his victory at Hastings, he honoured his promise and returned it to the monks. However, its strategic importance made William place William de Braose in a new castle at nearby Bramber, who began a vigorous boundary dispute with the monks.
The church of St Andrew and St Cuthman, begun around 1080, on the site of a lost Saxon church, the original Norman building was cruciform, and nearly twice the size of the present building. It had transepts and a much longer chancel than the present 19th century one, as well as two extra bays at the west end of the nave, where the 16th century flint chequerwork tower now stands.
Many of the corbels have grimacing faces
Vomécourt-sur-Madon - Saint-Martin
19 Jan 2019 |
|
Not much is known about this church. Some scholars date the building mid 11th, most mid 12th century. It may have been built by the Knights Templar, but there is no document about it. It is a small Romanesque basilica, erected on a "Latin Cross" blueprint. Within the 19th century the church was modified. There are larger windows now and a roof, that now stretches over nave and the two aisles.
This seems a little "strange". There is a grimacing huge man, who is naked. His testicles seem to hang down to his knees. On the right a kissing couple. Man on the left, woman (long skirt) on the right. Does the naked hulk stand for (sinful) lust, that may arouse, when the couple continues?
Belleville - Abbatiale de l'Assomption
11 Dec 2018 |
|
|
|
A settlement has existed here already before Romans and Gauls settled here, the town Belleville was actually founded by the House of Beaujeu. Humbert III de Beaujeu (+ 1194), the 8th Sir de Beaujeu, had a city wall built and founded a commanderie that in 1158 was converted into a Augustinian priory and 6 years later became an abbey.
The church, that now serves the parish is the only remaining structure of this abbey. The construction of the large church (63m long) started in 1168. It was completed only 11 years later and was consecrated and dedicated to the Virgin in 1179.
The facade, dominated by a rose window (prev. upload) is pretty sober. But a bearded, grimacing man looks down to the approaching visitor.
Artaiz - San Martin
07 Feb 2014 |
|
|
Saint Martin of Tours was a real surprise to me. The single nave structure was probably erected within the 12th century. It was built in a "walking distance" off the pilgrim routes (like "San Pedro de Echano"), as the hamlet Artaiz is just about 10kms north of the "Camino Aragonés". San Martin will have been for sure a stopover for pilgrims, who had visited the tomb of Saint Martin of Tours, following the "Via Turonensis".
The portal of Saint Martin is extraordinary in the specific iconography, that in parts may reflect the relations to the Islamic neighbours (Reconquista). Some of the corbels under the roof are remarkable as well.
Many corbels are under the roof of San Martin´s apse. Some of them depict grotesque faces. Here are two old men - grimacing.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "grimacing" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter