Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: rib vault

Freiberg - Dom St. Marien

09 Jul 2023 3 104
Freiberg came into being around 1162/1170. Between 1156 and 1162, Margrave Otto von Meissen had the forest cleared and several villages laid out, including Christiansdorf. In 1168 silver ore was discovered near Christiansdorf. The promise of special freedoms for the miners attracted numerous miners, traders and craftsmen, along with their families, to the Ore Mountains. Due to the wave of immigration, the city of Freiberg developed within two decades. This name is derived from the important feature, the freedom of mining introduced by Margrave Otto, i.e. the mining rights of every immigrant. Anyone could dig for the silver ore for a fee. The silver could only be sold to the margravial mint. The wealth of silver and the mint made the Electorate of Saxony a prosperous state. Further development in the 13th century is characterized by constant growth after the municipality was almost completely destroyed by a city fire around 1225. A town school was established in 1260, which had been converted into a Latin school in 1515. In the 14th century, crises gradually emerged, which were mainly caused by the decline in silver production from the middle of the 14th century and by large-scale city fires. In the 15th century, Freiberg lost its leading economic position within Saxony to Leipzig due to the exodus of capital. The Bergakademie was founded in 1765, one of the world's oldest mining engineering universities. - Around 1180, the Romanesque basilica "Unserer Lieben Frauen" was built in Freiberg, which was developing rapidly due to the silver that had been found. In 1480, the church was turned into a Collegiate church. However, the college was dissolved after only 57 years due to the reformation of the Electorate of Saxony. In the great fire of 1484, the church was almost completely destroyed. The "Cathedral of St. Mary" was built at the same location as a triple-naved Gothic hall church. The cathedral was reconsecrated in 1512. The rib vault

Leipzig - Thomaskirche

05 Jul 2023 3 1 166
Even before Leipzig was first mentioned in a document in 1015, a Slavic settlement existed here. The city was founded in 1165 when Margrave Otto the Rich of Meissen granted city and market rights to the city at the intersection of the Via Regia and the Via Imperii. Leipzig was in the Margraviate of Meissen, which became part of the Electorate of Saxony in 1439. Leipzig then belonged to the Duchy of Saxony, whose capital was chosen to be Dresden, which had been insignificant compared to Leipzig or Meissen. Leipzig was often the place where the state parliament met, but Leipzig was never a residence city or a bishop's seat and has always been shaped by the urban bourgeoisie. The University of Leipzig was founded in 1409 as "Alma Mater Lipsiensis" and was thus one of the three oldest universities in Germany. After being elevated to the status of "Reichsmessestadt" (imperial trade fair city) in 1497 and an extension of the staple right by the future Emperor Maximilian I, Leipzig became a trade fair city of European standing. It developed into the most important German trading center for the exchange of goods between Eastern and Western Europe. Alongside London, the Leipziger Brühl became the international trade center for the fur industry, and the important role played by the Leipzig Jewish community was closely linked to it. In 1539, the Reformation was finally introduced in Leipzig by Luther and Justus Jonas. Over decades, the development of Leipzig was characterized above all by the constantly improving living conditions. As a trading and trade fair city of increasing importance, Leipzig benefited from the wealthy Leipzig merchant class. The Thirty Years' War was a severe cut in the prosperous development of the city. Between 1631 and 1642 the city was besieged five times, from 1642 to 1650 it was occupied by the Swedes. The "Völkerschlacht" (Battle of Leipzig) near Leipzig took place in 1813. In this battle, the allied armies of Austria, Prussia, Russia and Sweden defeated Napoleon's troops and their allies which ultimately led to Napoleon's banishment to the island of Elba. During WWII there were frequent air raids on the city, which led to considerable destruction of the city center. In 1989, the Monday demonstrations that started at the Nikolaikirche helped herald the end of the GDR. With the occupation of the district administration for state security by demonstrators on December 4, 1989, state surveillance measures ended in Leipzig. Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 - 1750) is regarded as one of the best-known, most prolific and most important musicians of all. He is often regarded, especially by musicians, as the greatest composer in music history. He is the most prominent representative of the Bach family of musicians and is today In his main creative period, he was Thomaskantor and music director in Leipzig. In his main creative period, he was Thomaskantor and music director in Leipzig. As a Thomaskantor Bach was required to instruct the students of the Thomasschule in singing and provide church music for the main churches in Leipzig. A cantata was required for the church services on Sundays and additional church holidays during the liturgical year. The Thomaskirche in Leipzig is known as the place where Johann Sebastian Bach and the Thomanerchor worked. The foundations of a Romanesque church were unearthed during archaeological excavations. The Thomanerchor was founded in 1212 and is one of the oldest boys' choirs in Germany. Around 1355 the Romanesque chancel was rebuilt. Towards the end of the 15th century, Leipzig became extremely prosperous thanks to silver discoveries in the Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains). This made it possible to afford to rebuild the Leipzig churches within about 40 years. So the old nave was demolished in 1482 and rebuilt in the shape that is largely in place today. The church was reconsecrated in 1496. Over the centuries it has undergone several additions and conversions; the most important is the 68 m high tower, the lowest floor of which dates back to before 1355 and which received the octagonal top in the 14th century. In 1537 the upper part of the tower was rebuilt. The rib vault