Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Dom zu Lübeck
Lübeck - Dom
01 Jun 2021 |
|
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighbouring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. The next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades and was finally completed in 1982.
The late Romanesque "Paradise narthex", built in 1254 - 1259, was completely destroyed after the Second World War and then reconstructed. It was presumably also a court hall
Lübeck - Dom
01 Jun 2021 |
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighbouring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. The next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades and was finally completed in 1982.
The winged "Altar der Maria-Magdalenen-Bruderschaft der Stecknitzfahrer" ("Mary Magdalene Brotherhood of the Stecknitzsailors") von 1422. Seen here is just the right wing with the Nativity and the Magi.
The Strecknitz sailors sailed the "Strecknitz Canal", which connected Lauenburg and Lübeck by linking the tiny rivers Stecknitz (a tributary of the Trave) and Delvenau (a tributary of the Elbe), thus establishing an inland water route across the drainage divide from the North Sea to the Baltic Sea. It was built 1391 - 1398 and included seventeen wooden locks. In the 1890s the canal was replaced by the enlarged and straightened "Elbe–Lübeck Canal".
Lübeck - Dom
01 Jun 2021 |
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighbouring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. The next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades and was finally completed in 1982.
The winged "Altar der Maria-Magdalenen-Bruderschaft der Stecknitzfahrer" ("Mary Magdalene Brotherhood of the Stecknitzsailors") von 1422. The central panel has the carved figures of St. Catherine, the Virgin Mary and St. Barbara. Surrounded by the Annunciation (top left), Visitation (below), Nativity (top right) and the Magi (below).
The Strecknitz sailors sailed the "Strecknitz Canal", which connected Lauenburg and Lübeck by linking the tiny rivers Stecknitz (a tributary of the Trave) and Delvenau (a tributary of the Elbe), thus establishing an inland water route across the drainage divide from the North Sea to the Baltic Sea. It was built 1391 - 1398 and included seventeen wooden locks. In the 1890s the canal was replaced by the enlarged and straightened "Elbe–Lübeck Canal".
Lübeck - Dom
01 Jun 2021 |
|
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighbouring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. The next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades and was finally completed in 1982.
The bronze baptismal font was cast by Lorenz Grove
(~ 1434 - 1478). It is signed with "Laurens grove".
It shows twelve relief figures. When the basin was made, the relief figures were riveted onto the basin as separate pieces after the basin was cast. The basin stands on a central foot and three kneeling angels on the outside.
Lübeck - Dom
01 Jun 2021 |
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighbouring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. The next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades and was finally completed in 1982.
"Madonna mit der Sternenkrone" ("Madonna with the Crown of Stars") (c. 1460), attributed to Johann Wolt.
It is amazing how many works of art survived the Reformation in Lübeck unscathed. The wealth of the merchants provided ideal conditions for carvers, painters and goldsmiths. They had customers throughout the Baltic region and furnished Lübeck's churches on behalf of benefactors.
With the introduction of the Reformation, the artists in Lübeck lost their business basis and the majority of the artists emigrated. However, there was no iconoclasm, as in many other places, because Lübeck's reformed church regulations prohibited the destruction of pictorial works.
Lübeck - Dom
01 Jun 2021 |
|
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighbouring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. The next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades.
The winged "Altar der Heiligen-Leichnams-Brüderschaft der Mühlenknechte" ("Altar of Brotherhood of the Mill Servants") created by the Lübeck artist Hans Hesse in 1460.
In the centre are St. Martin, the Madonna of the Crescent Moon and St. Catherine (standing on Emperor Maxentius).
Lübeck - Dom
01 Jun 2021 |
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighbouring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. The next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
The three-bay rood screen is another a work of Bernt Notke. He created it together with the triumphal cross above it (1477).
It was a donation of Lübeck´s mayor Andreas Geverde, modelled after the rood screen in Magdeburg Cathedral, Geverde's original hometown. The four statues depict the cathedral's patrons: St. Nicholas, St. Mary, St. John the Baptist and St. Blasius.
The large clock on the other end was created in 1628 by Andreas Polleke and Michael Sommer. In 2020 the clock got renovated and the moon was gilded again.
Lübeck - Dom
31 May 2021 |
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighbouring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. The next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
Madonna and Child from around 1505
Lübeck - Dom
31 May 2021 |
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighbouring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. The next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
The "Marienaltar mit der Einhornjagd" ("Marian Altar with the Unicorn Hunt") from 1506 was the donation of Johannes Parchem, a vicar of the cathedral. Mary holds the golden unicorn on her lap. On the top right are the Magi.
The depiction of a unicorn in Mary's lap is an allegory of the virginity of Mary. As it was "known" in the Middle Ages that unicorns have great confidence in virgins, this was a popular image.
Lübeck - Dom
31 May 2021 |
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighboring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. Next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
The cathedral chapter lived next to the cathedral and of course had a cloister. These old buildings now house Lübeck's Natural History Museum so it is no suprise to see the skeleton of a large whale.
Lübeck - Dom
31 May 2021 |
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighbouring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. The next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
The cathedral chapter lived next to the cathedral and of course, had a cloister. These old buildings now house Lübeck's Natural History Museum and are separated from the cathedral by a security glass curtain (hence the reflections).
Lübeck - Dom
31 May 2021 |
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighboring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. Next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
The "Altar der kanonischen Tageszeiten" (altar of the seven canonical times of day) was created in the first third of the 15th century. The theme refers to the poem "Patris Sapientia" and has seven images representing the seven times of the day and show stations of the sufferings of Christ.
Lübeck - Dom
31 May 2021 |
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighboring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. Next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
The striking 17-meter high triumphal cross by the Lübeck artist Bernt Notke, dominates the nave.
Bernt Notke (~ 1435 - 1509) was probably one of the foremost artists of his time in northern Europe. One of his main works was the "Totentanz" (Danse Macabre) in St. Marien, was destroyed, during the allied bombing of Lübeck in 1942. This Triumphal Cross got damaged but survived the war. During a restoration in the 1970s a workshop note of Bernt Notke was found inside a finger.
The cross was donated to the cathedral by the Lübeck bishop Albert II. Krummendiek.
The donor of the Lübeck Bishop Albert II. Krummendiek (right), Maria Magdalena (left).
The centuries-old gossip says that Mariy Magdalena looks exactly like the bishop's mistress.
Lübeck - Dom
31 May 2021 |
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighboring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. Next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
The striking 17-meter high triumphal cross by the Lübeck artist Bernt Notke, dominates the nave.
Bernt Notke (~ 1435 - 1509) was probably one of the foremost artists of his time in northern Europe. One of his main works was the "Totentanz" (Danse Macabre) in St. Marien, was destroyed, during the allied bombing of Lübeck in 1942. This Triumphal Cross got damaged but survived the war. During a restoration in the 1970s a workshop note of Bernt Notke was found inside a finger.
The cross was donated to the cathedral by the Lübeck bishop Albert II. Krummendiek. He is depicted among the sculptures on the triumphal cross as a donor. According to legend, Mary Magdalene looks like his mistress.
A detail.
Lübeck - Dom
31 May 2021 |
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighboring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. Next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
The striking 17-meter high triumphal cross by the Lübeck artist Bernt Notke, dominates the nave.
Bernt Notke (~ 1435 - 1509) was probably one of the foremost artists of his time in northern Europe. One of his main works was the "Totentanz" (Danse Macabre) in St. Marien, was destroyed, during the allied bombing of Lübeck in 1942. This Triumphal Cross got damaged but survived the war. During a restoration in the 1970s a workshop note of Bernt Notke was found inside a finger.
The cross was donated to the cathedral by the Lübeck bishop Albert II. Krummendiek. He is depicted among the sculptures on the triumphal cross as a donor. According to legend, Mary Magdalene looks like his mistress.
Lübeck - Dom
30 May 2021 |
|
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighboring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. Next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades. It was finally completed in 1982.
Standing in the west (the Romanesque part of the cathedral) to the east (to the Gothic part). Both separated by the rood screen. Above it the triumphal cross.
Lübeck - Dom
30 May 2021 |
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighboring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. Next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
The cathedral is in the background.In the foreground on the right is the Catholic Herz Jesu Kirche (Church of the Sacred Heart). It was built in 1888-1891 and was the first Catholic church in Lübeck for 350 years, i.e. since the Reformation.
Lübeck - Dom
30 May 2021 |
|
|
|
The area around Lübeck, today a large city with a population of more than 200,000, had been settled by Slavs since the 7th century. Slavs had a settlement north of the present city called "Liubice", which was razed by the pagan Rani tribe in 1128.
15 years later Adolf II, Count of Schauenburg and Holstein, founded the modern town as a German settlement on the river island of Bucu. He built a new castle, first mentioned as existing in 1147. Adolf II had to cede the castle to the Duke of Saxony, Henry the Lion, in 1158. After Henry's fall from power in 1181, the town became an Imperial city. Emperor Barbarossa ordained that the city should have a ruling council of 20 members. With the council dominated by merchants, trade interests shaped Lübeck's politics for centuries.
In the 14th century, Lübeck became the "Queen of the Hanseatic League", being by far the largest and most powerful member of that medieval trade organization. In 1375, Emperor Charles IV named Lübeck one of the five "Glories of the Empire", a title shared with Venice, Rome, Pisa, and Florence.
Conflicts about trading privileges resulted in fighting between Lübeck (with the Hanseatic League) and Denmark and Norway – with varying outcome. While Lübeck and the Hanseatic League prevailed in conflicts in 1435 and 1512, Lübeck lost when it became involved in a civil war that raged in Denmark from 1534 to 1536. From then on Lübeck's power slowly declined. The city remained neutral in the Thirty Years' War, but the devastation from the decades-long war and the new transatlantic orientation of European trade caused the Hanseatic League – and thus Lübeck with it – to decline in importance. However, Lübeck still remained an important trading town on the Baltic Sea.
The "Dom zu Lübeck" (Lübeck Cathedral) is around 130 meters long, one of the longest brick churches. In 1173, Henry the Lion laid the foundation stone of the cathedral as a cathedral for the bishopric of Lübeck.
The then Romanesque cathedral was completed in about 1230 and rebuilt into a Gothic hall church between 1266 and 1335. At the same time the lengthening of the structure was done by erecting the pure Gothic east choir, completed in 1341 The length of the cathedral was doubled.
Until the Reformation, the cathedral chapter was under the control of the bishop. After the Reformation, the cathedral became the joint property of the city and the cathedral chapter until 1803, when it became the sole property of the city with the dissolution of the cathedral chapter. The adjoining monastery became the site of the Museum am Dom at the end of the 19th century.
After the heavy air raid on Lübeck on March 28-29, 1942, the eastern vault in the high choir collapsed, destroying the high altar from 1696. The fire in the neighboring cathedral museum spread to the cathedral's roof truss. Next day the spires of the tower collapsed. As a result of the war, the unsecured gable of the northern transept collapsed in 1946.
Reconstruction took several decades, as priorities here tended to be the rebuilding of Lübeck's Marienkirche. The reconstruction was finally completed in 1982.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Dom zu Lübeck" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter