Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Beda
Abercorn - Church
07 Jan 2025 |
|
|
In the 7th century, monks, possibly from Lindisfarne, founded a monastery on this site. ‘Aebbercurnig’ was described in the records of Beda the Venerable, among others. The monastery was probably temporarily abandoned around 685, but was used again from the 8th century. Numerous crosses from this period have been preserved.
Abercorn Church was built on the site of the monastery in the late 11th century. In 1597, a large part of the building was rebuilt and only a few fragments of the old church remain. Over the centuries, buildings or parts of buildings were added several times. In 1893, Abercorn Church was restored and partially remodelled. In particular, the west façade and the interior were remodelled. The work carried out also included the construction of a new bell tower.
Abercorn - Church
07 Jan 2025 |
|
In the 7th century, monks, possibly from Lindisfarne, founded a monastery on this site. ‘Aebbercurnig’ was described in the records of Beda the Venerable, among others. The monastery was probably temporarily abandoned around 685, but was used again from the 8th century. Numerous crosses from this period have been preserved.
Abercorn Church was built on the site of the monastery in the late 11th century. In 1597, a large part of the building was rebuilt and only a few fragments of the old church remain. Over the centuries, buildings or parts of buildings were added several times. In 1893, Abercorn Church was restored and partially remodelled. In particular, the west façade and the interior were remodelled. The work carried out also included the construction of a new bell tower.
A bricked up side portal
Abercorn - Church
07 Jan 2025 |
|
In the 7th century, monks, possibly from Lindisfarne, founded a monastery on this site. ‘Aebbercurnig’ was described in the records of Beda the Venerable, among others. The monastery was probably temporarily abandoned around 685, but was used again from the 8th century. Numerous crosses from this period have been preserved.
Abercorn Church was built on the site of the monastery in the late 11th century. In 1597, a large part of the building was rebuilt and only a few fragments of the old church remain. Over the centuries, buildings or parts of buildings were added several times. In 1893, Abercorn Church was restored and partially remodelled. In particular, the west façade and the interior were remodelled. The work carried out also included the construction of a new bell tower.
Lastingham - St. Mary
06 Jun 2024 |
|
The first church on the site was part of a monastery founded in 654 by Æthelwald of Deira for his own burial.
Bede described how in 654, monks established a wooden monastery at Lastingeau, they established their house in "a fold of the Yorkshire Moors". St Cedd ruled the monastery as the first abbot until his death, combining this position with that of missionary bishop to the East Saxons. In 664, shortly after the Synod of Whitby St Cedd died.
St Cedd was at first was buried in the open air, but the monks eventually built a church around him. His brother St Chad took his place as abbot. St Chadd then moved to Lichfield and the relics and remnants of St Cedd's were removed and kept with those of his brother in Lichfield. Some of their bones are now entombed in Birmingham's Catholic Cathedral though St Cedd is believed to be mostly buried at Lastingham.
It is thought that the church was destroyed during the various raids in the area over the next 400 years, particularly by Danish invaders.
William the Conqueror gave permission for a new church to be built on the site in 1078, when Benedictine monks from Whitby, set up the new church. However, they only stayed for ten years before moving on to York, it was reasoned later that the remoteness of the abbey and the outlaw nature of the area forced them to relocate. The revival and reconstruction of the church has therefore been confined to a decade.
During the 13th century, arcades, bays and aisle in the north and south parts of the church were added. In the following century, the tower was erected and it was left for five centuries with little further work until 1879, when it was renovated and the whole church being re-roofed.
The three-aisled crypt is the main attraction and oldest part of the church, which was built from 1078 using components from the Anglo-Saxon period. The crypt was originally accessed via its own entrance on the north side of the church, now it is accessible by a staircase descending from nave.
Shafts of Anglo-Saxon crosses
Lastingham - St. Mary
06 Jun 2024 |
|
|
The first church on the site was part of a monastery founded in 654 by Æthelwald of Deira for his own burial.
Bede described how in 654, monks established a wooden monastery at Lastingeau, they established their house in "a fold of the Yorkshire Moors". St Cedd ruled the monastery as the first abbot until his death, combining this position with that of missionary bishop to the East Saxons. In 664, shortly after the Synod of Whitby St Cedd died.
St Cedd was at first was buried in the open air, but the monks eventually built a church around him. His brother St Chad took his place as abbot. St Chadd then moved to Lichfield and the relics and remnants of St Cedd's were removed and kept with those of his brother in Lichfield. Some of their bones are now entombed in Birmingham's Catholic Cathedral though St Cedd is believed to be mostly buried at Lastingham.
It is thought that the church was destroyed during the various raids in the area over the next 400 years, particularly by Danish invaders.
William the Conqueror gave permission for a new church to be built on the site in 1078, when Benedictine monks from Whitby, set up the new church. However, they only stayed for ten years before moving on to York, it was reasoned later that the remoteness of the abbey and the outlaw nature of the area forced them to relocate. The revival and reconstruction of the church has therefore been confined to a decade.
During the 13th century, arcades, bays and aisle in the north and south parts of the church were added. In the following century, the tower was erected and it was left for five centuries with little further work until 1879, when it was renovated and the whole church being re-roofed.
The three-aisled crypt is the main attraction and oldest part of the church, which was built from 1078 using components from the Anglo-Saxon period. The crypt was originally accessed via its own entrance on the north side of the church, now it is accessible by a staircase descending from nave.
Lastingham - St. Mary
06 Jun 2024 |
|
|
The first church on the site was part of a monastery founded in 654 by Æthelwald of Deira for his own burial.
Bede described how in 654, monks established a wooden monastery at Lastingeau, they established their house in "a fold of the Yorkshire Moors". St Cedd ruled the monastery as the first abbot until his death, combining this position with that of missionary bishop to the East Saxons. In 664, shortly after the Synod of Whitby St Cedd died.
St Cedd was at first was buried in the open air, but the monks eventually built a church around him. His brother St Chad took his place as abbot. St Chadd then moved to Lichfield and the relics and remnants of St Cedd's were removed and kept with those of his brother in Lichfield. Some of their bones are now entombed in Birmingham's Catholic Cathedral though St Cedd is believed to be mostly buried at Lastingham.
It is thought that the church was destroyed during the various raids in the area over the next 400 years, particularly by Danish invaders.
William the Conqueror gave permission for a new church to be built on the site in 1078, when Benedictine monks from Whitby, set up the new church. However, they only stayed for ten years before moving on to York, it was reasoned later that the remoteness of the abbey and the outlaw nature of the area forced them to relocate. The revival and reconstruction of the church has therefore been confined to a decade.
During the 13th century, arcades, bays and aisle in the north and south parts of the church were added. In the following century, the tower was erected and it was left for five centuries with little further work until 1879, when it was renovated and the whole church being re-roofed.
The three-aisled crypt is the main attraction and oldest part of the church, which was built from 1078 using components from the Anglo-Saxon period. The crypt was originally accessed via its own entrance on the north side of the church, now it is accessible by a staircase descending from nave.
Lastingham - St. Mary
06 Jun 2024 |
|
|
The first church on the site was part of a monastery founded in 654 by Æthelwald of Deira for his own burial.
Bede described how in 654, monks established a wooden monastery at Lastingeau, they established their house in "a fold of the Yorkshire Moors". St Cedd ruled the monastery as the first abbot until his death, combining this position with that of missionary bishop to the East Saxons. In 664, shortly after the Synod of Whitby St Cedd died.
St Cedd was at first was buried in the open air, but the monks eventually built a church around him. His brother St Chad took his place as abbot. St Chadd then moved to Lichfield and the relics and remnants of St Cedd's were removed and kept with those of his brother in Lichfield. Some of their bones are now entombed in Birmingham's Catholic Cathedral though St Cedd is believed to be mostly buried at Lastingham.
It is thought that the church was destroyed during the various raids in the area over the next 400 years, particularly by Danish invaders.
William the Conqueror gave permission for a new church to be built on the site in 1078, when Benedictine monks from Whitby, set up the new church. However, they only stayed for ten years before moving on to York, it was reasoned later that the remoteness of the abbey and the outlaw nature of the area forced them to relocate. The revival and reconstruction of the church has therefore been confined to a decade.
During the 13th century, arcades, bays and aisle in the north and south parts of the church were added. In the following century, the tower was erected and it was left for five centuries with little further work until 1879, when it was renovated and the whole church being re-roofed.
The three-aisled crypt is the main attraction and oldest part of the church, which was built from 1078 using components from the Anglo-Saxon period. The crypt was originally accessed via its own entrance on the north side of the church, now it is accessible by a staircase descending from nave.
Lastingham - St. Mary
06 Jun 2024 |
|
|
|
The first church on the site was part of a monastery founded in 654 by Æthelwald of Deira for his own burial.
Bede described how in 654, monks established a wooden monastery at Lastingeau, they established their house in "a fold of the Yorkshire Moors". St Cedd ruled the monastery as the first abbot until his death, combining this position with that of missionary bishop to the East Saxons. In 664, shortly after the Synod of Whitby St Cedd died.
St Cedd was at first was buried in the open air, but the monks eventually built a church around him. His brother St Chad took his place as abbot. St Chadd then moved to Lichfield and the relics and remnants of St Cedd's were removed and kept with those of his brother in Lichfield. Some of their bones are now entombed in Birmingham's Catholic Cathedral though St Cedd is believed to be mostly buried at Lastingham.
It is thought that the church was destroyed during the various raids in the area over the next 400 years, particularly by Danish invaders.
William the Conqueror gave permission for a new church to be built on the site in 1078, when Benedictine monks from Whitby, set up the new church. However, they only stayed for ten years before moving on to York, it was reasoned later that the remoteness of the abbey and the outlaw nature of the area forced them to relocate. The revival and reconstruction of the church has therefore been confined to a decade.
During the 13th century, arcades, bays and aisle in the north and south parts of the church were added. In the following century, the tower was erected and it was left for five centuries with little further work until 1879, when it was renovated and the whole church being re-roofed.
The three-aisled crypt is the main attraction and oldest part of the church, which was built from 1078 using components from the Anglo-Saxon period. The crypt was originally accessed via its own entrance on the north side of the church.
Kirkdale - St Gregory’s Minster
06 Jun 2024 |
|
|
|
The origins of the Minster are shrouded. Beda reports in 731 that a small community of monks settled near Lastingham in 659 under royal protection, possibly to prepare a burial place for Æthelwald, the king of Deira, in a pathless moorland.
This church, specifically the current nave, was rebuilt in 1065.
In the 12th century, the doorway in the west wall was replaced by the current one (now leading into the tower) and the north aisle was built to accommodate the growing population, before famine and the plague halved the population again.
The choir was rebuilt in 1881. At the same time, stained glass windows were inserted into the east wall and the north wall of the side aisle in the style of the time. Overall, the newly built choir appears disproportionately large compared to the tower and the nave.
The Minster bears the patron saint's name Gregory the Great. He was pope from 590 to 604, is considered one of the most important popes and is the youngest of the four great Latin church fathers of late antiquity.
An Anglo-Saxon cross?
Kirkdale - St Gregory’s Minster
06 Jun 2024 |
|
|
The origins of the Minster are shrouded. Beda reports in 731 that a small community of monks settled near Lastingham in 659 under royal protection, possibly to prepare a burial place for Æthelwald, the king of Deira, in a pathless moorland.
This church, specifically the current nave, was rebuilt in 1065.
In the 12th century, the doorway in the west wall was replaced by the current one (now leading into the tower) and the north aisle was built to accommodate the growing population, before famine and the plague halved the population again.
The choir was rebuilt in 1881. At the same time, stained glass windows were inserted into the east wall and the north wall of the side aisle in the style of the time. Overall, the newly built choir appears disproportionately large compared to the tower and the nave.
The Minster bears the patron saint's name Gregory the Great. He was pope from 590 to 604, is considered one of the most important popes and is the youngest of the four great Latin church fathers of late antiquity.
This Madonna statue looks like the victim of an iconoclasm, who found an asylum here.
Kirkdale - St Gregory’s Minster
06 Jun 2024 |
|
|
The origins of the Minster are shrouded. Beda reports in 731 that a small community of monks settled near Lastingham in 659 under royal protection, possibly to prepare a burial place for Æthelwald, the king of Deira, in a pathless moorland.
This church, specifically the current nave, was rebuilt in 1065.
In the 12th century, the doorway in the west wall was replaced by the current one (now leading into the tower) and the north aisle was built to accommodate the growing population, before famine and the plague halved the population again.
The choir was rebuilt in 1881. At the same time, stained glass windows were inserted into the east wall and the north wall of the side aisle in the style of the time. Overall, the newly built choir appears disproportionately large compared to the tower and the nave.
The Minster bears the patron saint's name Gregory the Great. He was pope from 590 to 604, is considered one of the most important popes and is the youngest of the four great Latin church fathers of late antiquity.
Kirkdale - St Gregory’s Minster
06 Jun 2024 |
|
|
|
The origins of the Minster are shrouded. Beda reports in 731 that a small community of monks settled near Lastingham in 659 under royal protection, possibly to prepare a burial place for Æthelwald, the king of Deira, in a pathless moorland.
This church, specifically the current nave, was rebuilt in 1065.
In the 12th century, the doorway in the west wall was replaced by the current one (now leading into the tower) and the north aisle was built to accommodate the growing population, before famine and the plague halved the population again.
The choir was rebuilt in 1881. At the same time, stained glass windows were inserted into the east wall and the north wall of the side aisle in the style of the time. Overall, the newly built choir appears disproportionately large compared to the tower and the nave.
The Minster bears the patron saint's name Gregory the Great. He was pope from 590 to 604, is considered one of the most important popes and is the youngest of the four great Latin church fathers of late antiquity.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Beda" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter