Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Tongeren
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
16 Jun 2018 |
|
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Since some years the basilica´s treasures are displayed in the "Teseum", a museum, located in the building of the former collegiate, that adjoins the church.
From the museum, the visitor is able to enter the cloister. When the massive Gothic choir got built, the older Romanesque cloister was partly demolished. The "new" one was erected a little more east to give room for the choir.
teseum.be/en/
Tongeren - Begijnhof
16 Jun 2018 |
|
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
The Begijnhof (= beguinage), that was dedicated to Saint Catherine, was founded in the 13th century. It was completely walled, with the "Sint-Catharinak" in it´s center.
When in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops devasted and looted Tongeren, they did not enter the Beguinage, as the beguines had paid off the French troops. After the French Revolution the beguinage was dissolved and the houses were sold by the French state to private owners.
Tongeren - Begijnhof
16 Jun 2018 |
|
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
The Begijnhof (= beguinage), that was dedicated to Saint Catherine, was founded in the 13th century. It was completely walled, with the "Sint-Catharinak" in it´s center.
When in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops devasted and looted Tongeren, they did not enter the Beguinage, as the beguines had paid off the French troops. After the French Revolution the beguinage was dissolved and the houses were sold by the French state to private owners.
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
16 Jun 2018 |
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Since some years the basilica´s treasures are displayed in the "Teseum", a museum, located in the building of the former collegiate, that adjoins the church.
From the museum, the visitor is able to enter the cloister. When the massive Gothic choir got built, the older Romanesque cloister was partly demolished. The "new" one was erected a little more east to give room for the choir.
Vandals destroyed this tympanum, they took the effort to chisel off all details. Often such vandalism happened after the French Revolution, but protestant iconoclasts did that as well.
teseum.be/en/
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
16 Jun 2018 |
|
|
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Since some years the basilica´s treasures are displayed in the "Teseum", a museum, located in the building of the former collegiate, that adjoins the church.
From the museum, the visitor is able to enter the cloister. When the massive Gothic choir got built, the older Romanesque cloister was partly demolished. The "new" one was erected a little more east to give room for the choir.
teseum.be/en/
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
16 Jun 2018 |
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Since some years the basilica´s treasures are displayed in the "Teseum", a museum, located in the building of the former collegiate, that adjoins the church.
From the museum, the visitor is able to enter the cloister. When the massive Gothic choir got built, the older Romanesque cloister was partly demolished. The "new" one was erected a little more east to give room for the choir.
teseum.be/en/
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
16 Jun 2018 |
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Since some years the basilica´s treasures are displayed in the "Teseum", a museum, located in the building of the former collegiate, that adjoins the church.
teseum.be/en/
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
15 Jun 2018 |
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Since some years the basilica´s treasures are displayed in the "Teseum", a museum, located in the building of the former collegiate, that adjoins the church.
Christ´s head (from a crucifix, that got lost), carved 1060-1070.
teseum.be/en/
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
15 Jun 2018 |
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Since some years the basilica´s treasures are displayed in the "Teseum", a museum, located in the building of the former collegiate, that adjoins the church.
The book cover was created within the 12th century, but the ivory plate in the center, depicting the crucifixion, was carved already around 1000. On the bottom of the plate are the personifications of "Earth" (left) and "Sea" or "Water" (right), while "Sun" and "Moon" are on the top.
teseum.be/en/
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
15 Jun 2018 |
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Since some years the basilica´s treasures are displayed in the "Teseum", a museum, located in the building of the former collegiate, that adjoins the church.
A very elaborated ivory carving, that may have been carved in Northern Italy within the 11th century. There was a second "wing", that is now kept in a Brussels´ museum.
teseum.be/en/
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
15 Jun 2018 |
|
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Since some years the basilica´s treasures are displayed in the "Teseum", a museum, located in the building of the former collegiate, that adjoins the church.
Here is a large Romanesque crucifix.
The place of the electrical joint box is - not really perfect.
teseum.be/en
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
15 Jun 2018 |
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
The interior walls of the basilica are covered with graffiti. They may date from the time after the French Revolution, when the collegiate convent, that had existed here since Carolingian times, got dissolved. But some seem to be much younger.
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
15 Jun 2018 |
|
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
The interior walls of the basilica are covered with graffiti. They may date from the time after the French Revolution, when the collegiate convent, that had existed here since Carolingian times, got dissolved. But some seem to be much younger.
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
15 Jun 2018 |
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek is a place of prilgrimage, as the miraculous statue of "Onze Lieve Vrouw Oorzaak onzer Blijdschap" (= Our Lady Cause of our Joy), created 1479, is here.
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
14 Jun 2018 |
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek is a place of prilgrimage, as the miraculous statue of "Onze Lieve Vrouw" is displayed here. It is as well a stopover for "pelerins" on their way to Santiago. They even get a "tampon" here into the "credencial".
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
14 Jun 2018 |
|
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
Seen here is the southern portal.
Tongeren - Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek
14 Jun 2018 |
|
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
Where the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek stands now, was the bishopric see with Saint Maternus and Saint Servatius, the first bishops of the diocese founded here. In Carolingian times a collegiate convent existed and a pre-Romanesque church was erected, that later got replaced by a Romanesque structure. This church burned down during a war, fought by the prince-bishop of Liège, the Count of Loon, the Duke of Brabant and the French King.
Following the complete demolition of the burnt church, the construction of the large-scale gothic collegiate and town church began in 1240. It was completed in its present form in the 16th century.
The tower, built 1442 - 1544, is a masterpiece of Gothic archtecture. It burned a couple of times, especially, when Louis XIV’s troops set Tongeren on Fire in 1677.
There were different attempts to rebuilt the spire, but the helmet either burned down again or got damaged by storms. Today the tower is 55,55 metres high.
Tongeren - Ambiorix
14 Jun 2018 |
|
|
Tongeren, founded 15BC under the name of "Aduatuca Tungrorum", is the oldest town in Belgium. The Romans set up a military camp, that was later abandoned, - but the settlement, that had grown around the camp developed into an important trading center near the Roman road linking Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium (Cologne) to Bononia (Boulogne-sur-Mer). Though strongly fortified the Franks sacked the town in 275.
The Roman reign endet when the town got destroyed in 451 probably by the Huns. At that time a seat of a bishop existed here already. This see later moved on to Maastricht (595) and finally to Liege (718). In 881 Tongeren was raided and looted by the Normans. The largely destroyed city was rebuilt in the 10th century.
Tongeren prospered but in 1677 Louis XIV’s troops blew up the city walls and burned the town down. It took the town two centuries to recover from this.
The statue of Ambiorix is located in the center of the "Grote Markt".
Ambiorix was at the time of Julius Caesar's conquest of Gaul king of the Eburones, a tribe who lived "between Meuse and Rhine". He led a rebellion against the Roman armee - and so (in the 19th century) became a national heroe in just founded Belgium. Similar to his collegues Vercingetrorix in France and Arminius in Germany.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Tongeren" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter