Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: pan-flute
Brioude - Saint-Julien
08 Dec 2011 |
|
The Basilica Saint-Julien in Brioude was a collegiate church constructed between 1060 - 1200. The architectoral structure is influenced by great romanesque churches like "Notre-Dame-Du-Port" in Clermont-Ferrand (70kms north) or "Saint-Austremoine" in Issoire (30kms north), planned and constructed within the same century. Three or four very skilled architects worked here over the century, all witrh a different touch. So Saint-Julien is really special, as it differs from the other great churches of the Auvergne.
Brioude was a center of pilgrimage very early, as already within the 4th century a "martyrion" existed over the grave of St. Julien. This building was replaced by an early basilica, financed by Victorius, a "comes" (count), installed by the Visigothic king Eurich after he had seized the Auvergne. Gregory of Tours (538-594 visited and described it, when he about a pilgrimage to Saint-Julien undertaken yearly from Avernis (= Clermont-Ferrand) to Brioude. Within the 10th century William I, Duke of Aquitaine, (aka "Guillaume Le Pieux" - "William the Pious") funded the building of a larger church here. He got buried in this church in 917. Around 1060, works on the church still seen today started with the narthex. It took about 140 years, to complete it - and was a stopover at that time for many pilgrims to Santiago, only two days (60kms) away from Le Puy (Via Podensis).
There are about 125 capitals and carvings inside Saint-Julien and they all differ in artistic style and quality. Bernard Craplet has found six (!) different workshops, what is not that surprising taking in account that it took more than a century to finish this building. None of the capitals of the nave depicts a biblical theme.
Here is a very interesting combination of at least two medieval "icons", that are both common not only to the Auvergne.
One is shepherd, carrying a sheep on his shoulders. The shepherds mostly come in couples and they may connected to "pastor bonus". This icon can be seen twice in Brioude. The second is the donkey, playing a musical instrument. This instrument mostly is a harp, played by the donkey with its hoofs.
Depicted here are two men, carrying donkeys (instead of sheep). The donkeys either play a harp or - like Bernard Craplet suggests, play a panflute. B. Craplet connects the flute playing donkeys to the Phaedra, daugther of Minos in the Greek mythology.
On the ground, between the two harps or pan-flutes, is a head. A plant seems to grow out of the forhead. The moustache could well be some kind of liana.
Villers-Saint-Paul - Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul
23 Feb 2015 |
|
"Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul" is not mentioned in any written document before the 13th century. Most historians agree, that the church was built not earlier than in the first half of the 12th century. About a century later, the Romanesque transept and choir got demolished - and replaced by the large Gothic structure, seen here. The tower was erected within the 13th century.
The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century.
The church was added to the list of "monuments historique" already in 1862, but the restoration process started end of the 19th century. Of course a church like this needs perpetual care.
The walls of the nave are well conserved. They are decorated between the corbels with very unusual reliefs. These carvings were well protected under the roof and are not weathered. Some of them are fantastic and very mysterious.
Two flute players - grown together. The left one holds a pan flute, while the right flutist holds a kind of recorder.
Matha - Saint-Pierre de Marestay
15 Oct 2013 |
|
There had been a small community of monks here, that end of the 11th century joined the important Benedictian Abbaye royale of Saint-Jean-d'Angély (20kms northwest), that was part of the cluniac network.
The Abbaye royale got wealthy through the thousands of pilgrims on the Via Turonensis. They all stopped to see the relic of John the Baptist, before they continued, and obviously left some coins.
The abbey could afford to build a prestigious abbey church for the monastic comunity in Marestay (now Matha) at the same time, when Saint-Hérie (see previous uploads), just 2kms apart from here, was erected. Probably the same monks, lay brothers and workers toiled on two construction sides in long double shifts.
During the Wars of Religion many curches within the whole area got ruined and mutilated. In Saint-Herie, 2kms south, only two walls of the Romanesque church are still in place. Here the complete nave is missing.
After the "Edict of Nantes" got revoked in 1685, all Huguenots living in Matha were evicted and exiled. Following that all protestant churches existing in the town got leveled to the ground.
The only parts of Saint-Pierre that survived the incredible fury are the apse, the transepts and the crossing.
Many capitals and corbels are still in place and can be found outside.
Three musicians perform under the roof of Saint-Pierre. The trio consists out of a violinist, holding his vielle, a flautist, with a pan-flute, and a harpist to the right.
Matha - Saint-Pierre de Marestay
15 Oct 2013 |
|
There had been a small community of monks here, that end of the 11th century joined the important Benedictian Abbaye royale of Saint-Jean-d'Angély (20kms northwest), that was part of the cluniac network.
The Abbaye royale got wealthy through the thousands of pilgrims on the Via Turonensis. They all stopped to see the relic of John the Baptist, before they continued, and obviously left some coins.
The abbey could afford to build a prestigious abbey church for the monastic comunity in Marestay (now Matha) at the same time, when Saint-Hérie (see previous uploads), just 2kms apart from here, was erected. Probably the same monks, lay brothers and workers toiled on two construction sides in long double shifts.
During the Wars of Religion many curches within the whole area got ruined and mutilated. In Saint-Herie, 2kms south, only two walls of the Romanesque church are still in place. Here the complete nave is missing.
After the "Edict of Nantes" got revoked in 1685, all Huguenots living in Matha were evicted and exiled. Following that all protestant churches existing in the town got leveled to the ground.
The only parts of Saint-Pierre that survived the incredible fury are the apse, the transepts and the crossing.
Many capitals and corbels are still in place and can be found outside.
A bearded person with very long hair kids a kind of harpy (head of a bull). He has grabbed a horn of the bull´s head and holds a pan-flute in front of the the bull´s open mouth. Or is he pulling a beard? Seems, that man has fun in, he is grinning broadly, the bull looks a bit depressed.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "pan-flute" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter