Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Crypte Saint Leger

Saint-Maixent-l’École - Abbatiale

01 Oct 2013 1 1 347
Within the 5th century some Agapit founded an oratorium here under the name of "Saint Saturnin". He was joined by Adjutor, who later changed his name to Maixent (and got canonized). Since then the place bears his name. The monastery prospered thanks to donations of the merovingian dynasty and around 650, Saint Leodegar of Poitiers (aka "Léger d'Autun") started his career here as abbot. He came from a noble family (son of Saint Sigrada, brother of Saint Warinus, uncle of Saint Leudwinus). Later Leodegar played an important part in the struggle between Neustria and Austrasia. He got exiled, blinded and murdered by his Frankish opponents in 679. The Norman raids forced the monks to leave the abbey for some decades, but finally they return with the relics of Saint Maixent and Saint Leodegar. A church was erected here in the 940s. In 1059 an earthquake destroyed that structure and a Romanesque church was built between the 11th and 13th century. This got devasted in 1568, when during the Wars of Religion Calvinists undermined the walls and so let the church collapse. When the dust had settled and the pile of rubble was sorted, a Gothic church was erected on the Romanesque foundations, but somehow the crypt, filled with rubble got forgotten. It was "rediscovered" in 1875. It is believed that it dates back to the end of the 7th century, for the relics of St. Leodegard ("Leger"). Two sarcophags can be seen behind the altar.

Saint-Maixent-l’École - Abbatiale

01 Oct 2013 334
Within the 5th century some Agapit founded an oratorium here under the name of "Saint Saturnin". He was joined by Adjutor, who later changed his name to Maixent (and got canonized). Since then the place bears his name. The monastery prospered thanks to donations of the merovingian dynasty and around 650, Saint Leodegar of Poitiers (aka "Léger d'Autun") started his career here as abbot. He came from a noble family (son of Saint Sigrada, brother of Saint Warinus, uncle of Saint Leudwinus). Later Leodegar played an important part in the struggle between Neustria and Austrasia. He got exiled, blinded and murdered by his Frankish opponents in 679. The Norman raids forced the monks to leave the abbey for some decades, but finally they return with the relics of Saint Maixent and Saint Leodegar. A church was erected here in the 940s. In 1059 an earthquake destroyed that structure and a Romanesque church was built between the 11th and 13th century. This got devasted in 1568, when during the Wars of Religion Calvinists undermined the walls and so let the church collapse. When the dust had settled and the pile of rubble was sorted, a Gothic church was erected on the Romanesque foundations, but somehow the crypt, filled with rubble got forgotten. It was "rediscovered" in 1875. It is believed that it dates back to the end of the 7th century, for the relics of St. Leodegard ("Leger"). Two sarcophags can be seen behind the altar.