Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Austrasia
Metz - Saint-Étienne
12 Feb 2015 |
|
Metz was a Celtic settlement before Caesar´s conquest of Gaul. After the Romans had left and after the Huns lead by Attila had burnt it down in 451, the Merovingian kings made Metz to the capital of Austrasia.
Bishop Arnulf of Metz, advisor to the Merovingian court, was a progenitor of the Carolingian dynasty. Bishop Chrodegang of Metz, Charles Martel´s chancellor, founded the important Gorze Abbey, known for a monastic reform movement, similar to that one of Cluny. Between 823 and - 855 Drogo of Metz, an illegitimate son of Charlemagne and strong supporter of his half brother Louis the Pious and Louis´ son Charles the Bald, was Bishop here.
Saint-Étienne de Metz, built over a shrine of Protomartyr Saint Stephen is the seat of the Bishop of Metz. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the foundations of the Romanesque basilica. The cathedral was completed three centuries later and got consecrated in 1552. The cathedral is nicknamed "La lanterne du Bon Dieu" ("Good Lord's Lantern") displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with about 6500 m².
This elephant is a detail from the southwestern "Portal of the Virgin". It may well be, that the carving was created during the restoration period end of the 19th century.
Metz - Saint-Étienne
11 Feb 2015 |
|
Metz was a Celtic settlement before Caesar´s conquest of Gaul. After the Romans had left and after the Huns lead by Attila had burnt it down in 451, the Merovingian kings made Metz to the capital of Austrasia.
Bishop Arnulf of Metz, advisor to the Merovingian court, was a progenitor of the Carolingian dynasty. Bishop Chrodegang of Metz, Charles Martel´s chancellor, founded the important Gorze Abbey, known for a monastic reform movement, similar to that one of Cluny. Between 823 and - 855 Drogo of Metz, an illegitimate son of Charlemagne and strong supporter of his half brother Louis the Pious and Louis´ son Charles the Bald, was Bishop here.
Saint-Étienne de Metz, built over a shrine of Protomartyr Saint Stephen is the seat of the Bishop of Metz. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the foundations of the Romanesque basilica. The cathedral was completed three centuries later and got consecrated in 1552. The cathedral is nicknamed "La lanterne du Bon Dieu" ("Good Lord's Lantern") displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with about 6500 m².
A fire severely damaged the cathedral in 1877. The western portal, seen here, was created in Neo-Gothic style after the blaze.
Metz - Saint-Étienne
11 Feb 2015 |
|
Metz was a Celtic settlement before Caesar´s conquest of Gaul. After the Romans had left and after the Huns lead by Attila had burnt it down in 451, the Merovingian kings made Metz to the capital of Austrasia.
Bishop Arnulf of Metz, advisor to the Merovingian court, was a progenitor of the Carolingian dynasty. Bishop Chrodegang of Metz, Charles Martel´s chancellor, founded the important Gorze Abbey, known for a monastic reform movement, similar to that one of Cluny. Between 823 and - 855 Drogo of Metz, an illegitimate son of Charlemagne and strong supporter of his half brother Louis the Pious and Louis´ son Charles the Bald, was Bishop here.
Saint-Étienne de Metz, built over a shrine of Protomartyr Saint Stephen is the seat of the Bishop of Metz. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the foundations of the Romanesque basilica. The cathedral was completed three centuries later and got consecrated in 1552. The cathedral is nicknamed "La lanterne du Bon Dieu" ("Good Lord's Lantern") displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with about 6500 m².
Metz - Saint-Étienne
11 Feb 2015 |
|
Metz was a Celtic settlement before Caesar´s conquest of Gaul. After the Romans had left and after the Huns lead by Attila had burnt it down in 451, the Merovingian kings made Metz to the capital of Austrasia.
Bishop Arnulf of Metz, advisor to the Merovingian court, was a progenitor of the Carolingian dynasty. Bishop Chrodegang of Metz, Charles Martel´s chancellor, founded the important Gorze Abbey, known for a monastic reform movement, similar to that one of Cluny. Between 823 and - 855 Drogo of Metz, an illegitimate son of Charlemagne and strong supporter of his half brother Louis the Pious and Louis´ son Charles the Bald, was Bishop here.
Saint-Étienne de Metz, built over a shrine of Protomartyr Saint Stephen is the seat of the Bishop of Metz. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the foundations of the Romanesque basilica. The cathedral was completed three centuries later and got consecrated in 1552. The cathedral is nicknamed "La lanterne du Bon Dieu" ("Good Lord's Lantern") displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with about 6500 m².
The vaulting of the nave is about 41m. high. In France only the Gothic cathedrals of Amiens and Beauvais have higher vaultings.
Metz - Saint-Étienne
11 Feb 2015 |
|
|
|
Metz was a Celtic settlement before Caesar´s conquest of Gaul. After the Romans had left and after the Huns lead by Attila had burnt it down in 451, the Merovingian kings made Metz to the capital of Austrasia.
Bishop Arnulf of Metz, advisor to the Merovingian court, was a progenitor of the Carolingian dynasty. Bishop Chrodegang of Metz, Charles Martel´s chancellor, founded the important Gorze Abbey, known for a monastic reform movement, similar to that one of Cluny. Between 823 and - 855 Drogo of Metz, an illegitimate son of Charlemagne and strong supporter of his half brother Louis the Pious and Louis´ son Charles the Bald, was Bishop here.
Saint-Étienne de Metz, built over a shrine of Protomartyr Saint Stephen is the seat of the Bishop of Metz. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the foundations of the Romanesque basilica. The cathedral was completed three centuries later and got consecrated in 1552. The cathedral is nicknamed "La lanterne du Bon Dieu" ("Good Lord's Lantern") displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with about 6500 m².
The vaulting of the nave is about 41m. high. In France only the Gothic cathedrals of Amiens and Beauvais have higher vaultings.
Metz - Saint-Étienne
11 Feb 2015 |
|
|
|
Metz was a Celtic settlement before Caesar´s conquest of Gaul. After the Romans had left and after the Huns lead by Attila had burnt it down in 451, the Merovingian kings made Metz to the capital of Austrasia.
Bishop Arnulf of Metz, advisor to the Merovingian court, was a progenitor of the Carolingian dynasty. Bishop Chrodegang of Metz, Charles Martel´s chancellor, founded the important Gorze Abbey, known for a monastic reform movement, similar to that one of Cluny. Between 823 and - 855 Drogo of Metz, an illegitimate son of Charlemagne and strong supporter of his half brother Louis the Pious and Louis´ son Charles the Bald, was Bishop here.
Saint-Étienne de Metz, built over a shrine of Protomartyr Saint Stephen is the seat of the Bishop of Metz. The construction of the Gothic cathedral began in 1220 within the foundations of the Romanesque basilica. The cathedral was completed three centuries later and got consecrated in 1552. The cathedral is nicknamed "La lanterne du Bon Dieu" ("Good Lord's Lantern") displaying the largest expanse of stained glass in the world with about 6500 m².
Metz - Summer in the City
11 Feb 2015 |
|
Metz was a large Celtic settlement before Caesar´s conquest of Gaul ("De Bello Gallico"). After the Romans had left and after the Huns lead by Attila had burnt it down in 451, the Merovingian kings made Metz to the capital of Austrasia. Bishop Arnulf of Metz (aka "Saint Arnoul"), advisor to the Merovingian court, was a progenitor of the Carolingian dynasty. Bishop Chrodegang of Metz, Charles Martel´s chancellor, founded the important Gorze Abbey, known for the Gorze Reform, a monastic reform movement, similar to that one of Cluny.
Today the metropolitan area of Metz has a population of nearly 400.000 and in summertime it can get really hot here.
Saint-Maixent-l’École - Abbatiale
01 Oct 2013 |
|
|
|
Within the 5th century some Agapit founded an oratorium here under the name of "Saint Saturnin". He was joined by Adjutor, who later changed his name to Maixent (and got canonized). Since then the place bears his name.
The monastery prospered thanks to donations of the merovingian dynasty and around 650, Saint Leodegar of Poitiers (aka "Léger d'Autun") started his career here as abbot. He came from a noble family (son of Saint Sigrada, brother of Saint Warinus, uncle of Saint Leudwinus). Later Leodegar played an important part in the struggle between Neustria and Austrasia. He got exiled, blinded and murdered by his Frankish opponents in 679.
The Norman raids forced the monks to leave the abbey for some decades, but finally they return with the relics of Saint Maixent and Saint Leodegar. A church was erected here in the 940s. In 1059 an earthquake destroyed that structure and a Romanesque church was built between the 11th and 13th century. This got devasted in 1568, when during the Wars of Religion Calvinists undermined the walls and so let the church collapse.
When the dust had settled and the pile of rubble was sorted, a Gothic church was erected on the Romanesque foundations, but somehow the crypt, filled with rubble got forgotten.
It was "rediscovered" in 1875. It is believed that it dates back to the end of the 7th century, for the relics of St. Leodegard ("Leger"). Two sarcophags can be seen behind the altar.
Saint-Maixent-l’École - Abbatiale
01 Oct 2013 |
|
Within the 5th century some Agapit founded an oratorium here under the name of "Saint Saturnin". He was joined by Adjutor, who later changed his name to Maixent (and got canonized). Since then the place bears his name.
The monastery prospered thanks to donations of the merovingian dynasty and around 650, Saint Leodegar of Poitiers (aka "Léger d'Autun") started his career here as abbot. He came from a noble family (son of Saint Sigrada, brother of Saint Warinus, uncle of Saint Leudwinus). Later Leodegar played an important part in the struggle between Neustria and Austrasia. He got exiled, blinded and murdered by his Frankish opponents in 679.
The Norman raids forced the monks to leave the abbey for some decades, but finally they return with the relics of Saint Maixent and Saint Leodegar. A church was erected here in the 940s. In 1059 an earthquake destroyed that structure and a Romanesque church was built between the 11th and 13th century. This got devasted in 1568, when during the Wars of Religion Calvinists undermined the walls and so let the church collapse.
When the dust had settled and the pile of rubble was sorted, a Gothic church was erected on the Romanesque foundations, but somehow the crypt, filled with rubble got forgotten.
It was "rediscovered" in 1875. It is believed that it dates back to the end of the 7th century, for the relics of St. Leodegard ("Leger"). Two sarcophags can be seen behind the altar.
Saint-Maixent-l’École - Abbatiale
30 Sep 2013 |
|
Within the 5th century some Agapit founded an oratorium here under the name of "Saint Saturnin". He was joined by Adjutor, who later changed his name to Maixent (and got canonized). Since then the place bears his name.
The monastery prospered thanks to donations of the merovingian dynasty and around 650, Saint Leodegar of Poitiers (aka "Léger d'Autun") started his career here as abbot. He came from a noble family (son of Saint Sigrada, brother of Saint Warinus, uncle of Saint Leudwinus). Later Leodegar played an important part in the struggle between Neustria and Austrasia. He got exiled, blinded and murdered by his Frankish opponents in 679.
The Norman raids forced the monks to leave the abbey for some decades, but finally they return with the relics of Saint Maixent and Saint Leodegar. A church was erected here in the 940s. In 1059 an earthquake destroyed that structure and a Romanesque church was built between the 11th and 13th century. This got devasted in 1568, when during the Wars of Religion Calvinists undermined the walls and so let the church collapse.
When the dust had settled and the pile of rubble was sorted, a Gothic church was erected on the Romanesque foundations and obviously some Romanesque carvings, found n the rubble, got reused.
One is this Romanesque capital. Devouring lions can often be seen in churches, but these lions have very special tails, that started to fight each other.
Saint-Maixent-l’École - Abbatiale
30 Sep 2013 |
|
Within the 5th century some Agapit founded an oratorium here under the name of "Saint Saturnin". He was joined by Adjutor, who later changed his name to Maixent (and got canonized). Since then the place bears his name.
The monastery prospered thanks to donations of the merovingian dynasty and around 650, Saint Leodegar of Poitiers (aka "Léger d'Autun") started his career here as abbot. He came from a noble family (son of Saint Sigrada, brother of Saint Warinus, uncle of Saint Leudwinus). Later Leodegar played an important part in the struggle between Neustria and Austrasia. He got exiled, blinded and murdered by his Frankish opponents in 679.
The Norman raids forced the monks to leave the abbey for some decades, but finally they return with the relics of Saint Maixent and Saint Leodegar. A church was erected here in the 940s. In 1059 an earthquake destroyed that structure and a Romanesque church was built between the 11th and 13th century. This got devasted in 1568, when during the Wars of Religion Calvinists undermined the walls and so let the church collapse.
When the dust had settled and the pile of rubble was sorted, a Gothic church was erected on the Romanesque foundations and obviously some Romanesque carvings, found in the rubble, got reused.
One is this Romanesque capital, depicting two mermaids. As only the right one has scales, detailled fins and "combed" hair, the artist may not have completed his work.
Saint-Maixent-l’École - Abbatiale
30 Sep 2013 |
|
Within the 5th century some Agapit founded an oratorium here under the name of "Saint Saturnin". He was joined by Adjutor, who later changed his name to Maixent (and got canonized). Since then the place bears his name.
The monastery prospered thanks to donations of the merovingian dynasty and around 650, Saint Leodegar of Poitiers (aka "Léger d'Autun") started his career here as abbot. He came from a noble family (son of Saint Sigrada, brother of Saint Warinus, uncle of Saint Leudwinus). Later Leodegar played an important part in the struggle between Neustria and Austrasia. He got exiled, blinded and murdered by his Frankish opponents in 679.
The Norman raids forced the monks to leave the abbey for some decades, but finally they return with the relics of Saint Maixent and Saint Leodegar. A church was erected here in the 940s. In 1059 an earthquake destroyed that structure and a Romanesque church was built between the 11th and 13th century. This church got devasted by Calvinists in 1568, and so a Gothic church got built on the Romanesque foundations.
Since the French Revolution this church served the parish. The buildings of the abbey were used by the armee " La Caserne des Bénédictins", by now they host ENSOA ("École nationale des sous-officiers d'active").
Saint-Maixent-l’École - Abbatiale
30 Sep 2013 |
|
Within the 5th century some Agapit founded an oratorium here under the name of "Saint Saturnin". He was joined by Adjutor, who later changed his name to Maixent (and got canonized). Since then the place bears his name.
The monastery prospered thanks to donations of the merovingian dynasty and around 650, Saint Leodegar of Poitiers (aka "Léger d'Autun") started his career here as abbot. He came from a noble family (son of Saint Sigrada, brother of Saint Warinus, uncle of Saint Leudwinus). Later Leodegar played an important part in the struggle between Neustria and Austrasia. He got exiled, blinded and murdered by his Frankish opponents in 679.
The Norman raids forced the monks to leave the abbey for some decades, but finally they return with the relics of Saint Maixent and Saint Leodegar. A church was erected here in the 940s. In 1059 an earthquake destroyed that structure and a Romanesque church was built between the 11th and 13th century. This church got devasted by Calvinists in 1568, and so a Gothic church got built on the Romanesque foundations.
Since the French Revolution this church served the parish. The buildings of the abbey were used by the armee " La Caserne des Bénédictins", by now they host ENSOA ("École nationale des sous-officiers d'active").
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Austrasia" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter