Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: adoring
Trier - Liebfrauenkirche
15 Feb 2013 |
|
Founded by the Romans around 30 BC as "Augusta Treverorum", Trier claims (just like Xanten, Cologne, Worms, Speyer...) to be the oldest existing German city.
Trier, the center of a diocese already within the 3rd century, was destroyed by the Alemanni (275), rebuilt under Constantine the Great, who resided in "Augusta Treverorum". Under his the reign Maximin of Trier (329–346), the fifth Bishop here, started the construction of an giant ecclesial ensemble with four basilicas and a baptisterium.
The buildings, ruined by the Franks, got rebuilt and destroyed again by the Vikings (Normans) in 882. In 977 Emperor Otto II installed his senior official Egbert of Trier as Bishop, who started a building process, that reused lots of the ruined structures, incl. Roman walls and pillars.
Built next to the cathedral is the "Liebfrauenkirche" ("Church of our Lady", "Eglise de Notre-Dame". This is probably the oldest Gothic structure in Germany. It is erected on the floorplan of a rotunda and was built by French (Lothringian) masters. It was comissioned by Archbishop Theoderich von Wied around 1230. Most stones used here, were shipped from Lothringia to Trier via the river Moselle, what must have been pretty expensive.
After Theoderich had passed away, the building process stopped due to the lack of funds. With the support of the Diocese of Cologne, where special letters of indulgence were on sale, the church got completed around 1260. The church was used by the cathedral chapter and was "integrated" into the cathedral´s liturgy.
When French troops occupied Trier after the French Revolution it was discussed by the political authorities, to demolish the Liebfrauenkirche, but (as local rumours tell) the mayor of Trier could convince Napoleon, to save this "Masterpiece, created by French architects" and so the nearby St. Laurentius church got knocked down.
The elaborate main portal of the "Liebfrauenkirche", done in Early Gothic style, with clearly "French" roots.
In the center of the tympanum the enthroned Virgin holding the Child. Left of here are the three Magis - and further in the left corner shepherds listening to an angel above. Right of the Virgin is "Jesus´ "Jesus´ first Bath", followed by Joseph (?), holding a walking stick (Flight to Egypt?) - and three small men.
Chassenard - Saint-Georges
15 May 2017 |
|
The nave and the portal are all of the once Romanesque church that survived the times. The original church was erected within the 12th century, so the carvings seen here more than 800 years old. A detail of the left capital. The three Magi have reached Bethlehem, where Mary wears a crown - and the Star of Bethlehem shines over the crib.
Troyes - Cathédrale Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Paul
06 Dec 2016 |
|
The first Troyes Cathedral was built in the 9th century, but was badly damaged by the Norman invasions. From about 940 on a Romanesque cathedral was built, commisioned by Bishop Milo. This cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1188.
The construction of the present Gothic cathedral was begun under Bishop Hervé in 1208. Work continued until the 17th century. The earliest part of the cathedral, dating from the 13th century, is the choir.
Some works, displayed in the Cathedral´s treasure room are older than the church.
Here is a 12th century gilt reliquary in typical "chasse" shape with the Magi, travelling - and adoring. Most of such reliquaries come from Limoge, where "industry" for enamel-wares existed, especially for "champlevé" and "cloisonné" techniques. Note that the cast heads of the "Adoring Magi" are identical.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
25 Oct 2016 |
|
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
Written over the lower left scene is "IR ABEATO DOMNINO CORONATUR" what probably is "Imperator crowned by blessed Domninus". At first I saw the Magi and Herod to the right, but the inscription is "LICENCIA ACEPTA DEO SERVIREDECRE" - He received permission and decided to serve God.
Two scenes refering to the life of San Donnino.
The adoring Magi are easily seen above. All names are carved in above the scene. Joseph is dreaming. An angel whispers into his ear to go to Egypt.
The Three Magi are strongly connected to pilgrimage since the early times. They can be found all along the old roads.
Burgos - Cathedral
01 Dec 2014 |
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia. Francisco de Colonia, Simon´s son, continued the work and created the Pellejería-Portal. This was a family business.
The Magi can often be found along the "camino". The Magi had followed the star, just like the "pelerins" were following the Camino Frances, that runs through Burgos, on their way to Santiago de Compostela.
When these sculptures at the corner of the cloister were created (mid 15th century) the heyday of pilgrimage had passed already.
Burgos - Cathedral
01 Dec 2014 |
|
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia. Francisco de Colonia, Simon´s son, continued the work and created the Pellejería-Portal. This was a family business.
The Magi can often be found along the "camino". The Magi had followed the star, just like the "pelerins" were following the Camino Frances, that runs through Burgos, on their way to Santiago de Compostela.
When this tomb was created the heyday of pilgrimage had passed already.
Burgos - Cathedral
01 Dec 2014 |
|
The construction of the cathedral was ordered by King Ferdinand III of Castile and Mauricio, the Bishop of Burgos. Ferdinand had just married Barbarossa´s granddaughter Beatrice of Swabia (aka "Elisabeth of Swabia") and wanted a cathedral, reflecting his new role in the European power game.
The former Romanesque cathedral got demolished and on July 20, 1221, the construction of the new Gothic started under the guidance of an unknown French architect. After nine years, the chevet was completed and the high altar was consecrated. Then the construction stopped for about 200 years.
Attending the Council of Basel (aka "Council of Florence") in 1435 bishop (and diplomat) Alfonso de Cartagena saw the just completed, elegant towers of the Basel Minster. When he returned to Burgos he was accompanied by German architect Johannes von Köln (aka "Juan de Colonia"), who probably knew the blueprints of the towers, planned for the Cathedral of Cologne. Under his guidance the towers of the Cathedral were completed in open tracery. He was followed on the construction site by his son Simon de Colonia. Francisco de Colonia, Simon´s son, continued the work and created the Pellejería-Portal. This was a family business.
The Magi can often be found along the "camino". The Magi had followed the star, just like the "pelerins" were following the Camino Frances, that runs through Burgos, on their way to Santiago de Compostela.
When this altarpiece was created the heyday of pilgrimage had passed already.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "adoring" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter