Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Pallavicino
Castione Marchesi - Abbazia di Santa Maria Assunta
27 Oct 2016 |
|
|
The abbey was founded in 983 (or 1033) by Marchese Adalberto Pallavicino (see Fidenza) and his wife Adelaide. Benedictine monks lived in this fortified monastery upto 1325, when they were forced to leave the monastery by Azzone Visconti, Duke of Milan, who had conquered the village that had developed around the abbey. From 1484 Olivetan monks lived here, who rebuilt, renovated and enlarged the abbey.
After the Napoleon troops had marched into Italy, the buildings were sold and for a while this was a large farm and money former monastic buildings got lost. Meanwhile the church serves the parish.
The former abbey church, seen today, was probably completed end of the 12th century, but got modified over the next centuries. During recent renovations some fragments of a larger floor mosaics was discovered.
The left is probably the head of the satanic snake with the split tongue offering an apple to Eve.
Castione Marchesi - Abbazia di Santa Maria Assunta
27 Oct 2016 |
|
The abbey was founded in 983 (or 1033) by Marchese Adalberto Pallavicino (see Fidenza) and his wife Adelaide. Benedictine monks lived in this fortified monastery upto 1325, when they were forced to leave the monastery by Azzone Visconti, Duke of Milan, who had conquered the village that had developed around the abbey. From 1484 Olivetan monks lived here, who rebuilt, renovated and enlarged the abbey.
After the Napoleon troops had marched into Italy, the buildings were sold and for a while this was a large farm and money former monastic buildings got lost. Meanwhile the church serves the parish.
The former abbey church, seen today, was probably completed end of the 12th century, but got modified over the next centuries. The nave still has some Romanesque capitals, the choir is much younger than the nave.
Castione Marchesi - Abbazia di Santa Maria Assunta
27 Oct 2016 |
|
The abbey was founded in 983 (or 1033) by Marchese Adalberto Pallavicino (see Fidenza) and his wife Adelaide. Benedictine monks lived in this fortified monastery upto 1325, when they were forced to leave the monastery by Azzone Visconti, Duke of Milan, who had conquered the village that had developed around the abbey. From 1484 Olivetan monks lived here, who rebuilt, renovated and enlarged the abbey.
After the Napoleon troops had marched into Italy, the buildings were sold and for a while this was a large farm and money former monastic buildings got lost. Meanwhile the church serves the parish.
The former abbey church, seen today, was probably completed end of the 12th century, but got modified over the next centuries.
Castione Marchesi - Abbazia di Santa Maria Assunta
27 Oct 2016 |
|
|
|
The abbey was founded in 983 (or 1033) by Marchese Adalberto Pallavicino (see Fidenza) and his wife Adelaide. Benedictine monks lived in this fortified monastery upto 1325, when they were forced to leave the monastery by Azzone Visconti, Duke of Milan, who had conquered the village that had developed around the abbey. From 1484 Olivetan monks lived here, who rebuilt, renovated and enlarged the abbey.
After the Napoleon troops had marched into Italy, the buildings were sold and for a while this was a large farm and money former monastic buildings got lost. Meanwhile the church serves the parish.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
A detail of the facade, carved by Benedetto Antelami and/or his workshop.
A monkey riding a horse - or a rat on horseback??
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
A detail of the facade, carved by Benedetto Antelami and/or his workshop.
Heracles after having killed the Nemean lion. To kill the beast was the first of Heracles' twelve labours.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
A detail of the facade, carved by Benedetto Antelami and/or his workshop.
According to the inscription the is "Raimondinus vilis", the humble Raimondinus. Probably a pilgrim on his way to Rome, very similar to the sculpture in Fornovo di Taro.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
A detail of the facade, carved by Benedetto Antelami and/or his workshop.
Apostle Simon (the Zealot) Simon shows the pilgrim the way to Rome. He looks somehow "stiff", compared to "Daniel in the lions' den" just below him.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
A detail of the facade, carved by Benedetto Antelami and/or his workshop.
The "Bosom of Abraham" above a group of saint ladies.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
A detail of the facade, carved by Benedetto Antelami and/or his workshop.
I just wrote, that the archivolt is populated by dwarfs (previous upload), but that is wrong. The sculptures wearing cone hats indeed look like garden gnomes, but medieval onlookers may have recognized them and some may have been able to read the banner. I am not.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
Three episodes of life and death of San Donnino are over the central portal. In the center is the beheading of the saint, who after becoming a martyr that way became a kephalophor as well, as he carried away his own head, just like Saint-Denis, Saint Solange and many others did.
The archivolt is populated by dwarfs (?).
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
A detail of the facade, carved by Benedetto Antelami and/or his workshop.
San Donnino performs a miracle and so saves a pregnant woman.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
A detail of the facade, carved by Benedetto Antelami and/or his workshop.
The Prophet Ezekiel. Above him are Mary and young Jesus.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
A detail of the facade, carved by Benedetto Antelami (´s workshop).
Herod, seated on his throne, seems not to be amused.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
27 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
A detail of the facade, carved by Benedetto Antelami (´s workshop).
Seen here is "Elijah Taken Up to Heaven"
2 Kings 2:11
"As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind."
Fidenza - Palazzo Comunale
25 Oct 2016 |
|
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the still not completed Duomo was saved.
The Palazzo Communale, seen by nightfall, got a neogothic facade in 1875.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
25 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
Some tiles around the altar, that since 1207 holds the relcics of San Donnino, date back to the paleochristian oratory built over the place of the Saint´s martyrdom. This oratory was enlarged during Lombard or Carolingian period to accomodate an ever increasing number of pilgrims. The current cathedral was then built over the church, that became the crypt.
Fidenza - Cattedrale di San Donnino
25 Oct 2016 |
|
In 1927, what is pretty recent, the city "Borgo San Donnino" changed it´s name to "Fidenza", as in Roman times it was known as "Fidentia Julia".
The city was named and the Duomo inside the walls was dedicated to San Donnino di Fidenza (aka "Domninus of Fidenza"), who was martyred nearby in 291.
Sigeric the Serious, Archbishop of Canterbury, made the pilgrimage to Rome following the Via Francigena around 990. His contemporary records of this journey still exist (and are source for the modern guide books). He reached "Sce Domnine" after 36 days, what is pretty fast for more than 1000kms.
The erection of the Cattedrale di San Donnino started in the 11th century, the first consecration took place in 1106, though the building process continued. From around 1200 on Master Benedetto Antelami and his workshop worked here, not only as Master masons. Antelami may as well be the architect of the facade.
Frederick Barbarossa had entrusted "Borgo San Donnino" to the Pallavicino family of Piacenza. In 1268 - after a siege - the city was conquered by the troops of Parma, who looted and burnt down it completely. All houses got destroyed at that time just the Duomo was saved, but it was not completed at that time. The building process came to a stop - and was never continued.
The cathedral is 47 meters long and has a risen choir. Below is the crypt with two portals.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Pallavicino" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter