Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: The Three Marys
Chaource - Saint-Jean-Baptiste
03 Mar 2016 |
|
|
The town of Chaource (pop. 1100) is known for the Chaource cheese and the church dedicated to Saint-Jean-Baptiste.
The choir was part of a church built within the 14th century, but from 1531 on the old nave got teared down and was replaced by nave and aisles seen here.
Steps lead down to the "Chapelle du Sépulcre", where this entombment is placed. The "mise au tombeau" was created by an unidentified sculptor, known under the name "Maitre de Chaource" around 1515.
Scholars are still discussing the identity of the Master, but - just like the much older "Maître de Cabestany" -, the name may stand for a studio or a workshop. There are more than a hundred of carvings in this typical, very realistic style in the Champagne area, attributed to him.
Fltr:
Nicodemus, Virgin Mary, Saint John, Mary Salome, Mary Magdalene, Mary of Clopas and Joseph of Arimathea.
Sens - Cathedral
11 Jun 2015 |
|
Sens was an important place in medieval times. Upto the 11th century the Archbishop of Sens hold the title "Primate of the Gauls and Germania". Thomas Becket lived in Sens for some time, when he was forced to leave England. Here Thomas met Pope Pope Alexander III. In 1141 Bishop Henri Sanglier here caused the condemnation of Peter Abelard.
Bishop Henri Sanglier was well connected to the leading political figures. He and Abbot Suger de Saint-Denis were close friends - and had similar architectural ideas. Abbot Suger decided around 1137 to rebuild the Church of Saint-Denis. Bishop Henri started the construction of this cathedral around 1140.
It is still discussed, which church is older, as this would be the oldest early Gothic church in France. While in Saint Denis (130kms northwest) the building process came to an halt for some time, the choir of the cathedral in Sens was completed already in 1168.
It is sure, as Suger´s church in Saint Denis was an abbey church, the "Cathédrale Saint-Étienne de Sens" is the oldest Gothic cathedral in France.
Of course, there were many alterations done later. After the southern tower of the western facade collapsed in 1267 it got rebuilt within the next decades. When Pope Alexander III consecrated the cathedral in 1164 it may not have been fully completed. On 27 May 1234 Louis IX (aka "Saint Louis") married Marguerite de Provence, who was 13 years old at that time.
Some of the stained glass windows of the cathedrals were created within the early 13th century. Told here are different, but interconnected "stories", making it a little complex.
The top center depicts Jerusalem.
The three diamond shapes in the center depict the "Parable of the Good Samaritan" (Luke 10:29–37). Around the top diamond are Adam and Even in the Garden of Eden. Around the diamond in the center are four scenes from the life of Moses. Below, around the third diamond "Jesus being condemned by Pilate", the "Flagellation", the "Crucifixion of Jesus" and the "Myrrhbearers" / "The Three Marys at the Tomb".
Huesca - San Pedro el Viejo
18 Mar 2014 |
|
The Monasterio de San Pedro el Viejo ("Saint Peter the Old") is a former Benedictine monastery built within the 12th century. A church had existed here (built on the place of a Roman temple) since Visigothic times and even, when the Moors hold Huesca, this church was in use.
Christian troops conquered Huesca in 1096 and from 1117 on Benedictines with obvious ties to Cluny reconstructed the church and erected a monasterio here.
Of course the Benedictian monastery needed a decent cloister. This got erected adjoining the church around 1140. Many of the capitals, carved in the style of the "Master of Agüero" (aka "Master of San Juan de la Peña"), are creations done during the renovation of San Pedro el Viejo end of the 19th century.
Here is one of the old, weathered carvings. This is the same capital, seen on the previous upload. While the solders were already sleeping there, here to the right, they are still guarding the tomb.
In the center seen here are the "Myrrhbearers" (aka "The Three Marys").
Matthew 28:1
"After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb."
An angel stands left to the empty tomb, greeting the women.
Mark 16:6
"And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him."
Saujon - Saint-Jean-Baptiste
03 Sep 2013 |
|
|
The parish church in Saujon is a sober structure, erected 1679. Since 1912 the nave hosts four Romanesque capitals that once were part of a church dedicated to Saint Martin, that got "lost" during the French Revolution.
The capitals are masterly carved.
This capital depicts the three women (aka "The Three Marys", "Myrrhbearers", ) approaching the empty tomb.
Mark 16:2-5
"Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”
But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed."
The angel is sitting on the empty tomb and greeting the Marys.
Mark 16:6
"And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him."
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "The Three Marys" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter