Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: WWI

Syracuse - San Tommaso al Pantheon

10 Nov 2019 1 1 206
Sicily, the largest Mediterranean island, has a long history, that starts around 8000 BC, but later there were Phoenician, Carthaginian, Greek and Roman periods. After the Roman Empire had fallen apart the Vandals tried to take over the island but failed. Finally, the Ostrogoths took possession. Mid of the 6th century Sicily was conquered by troops of the Byzantine Empire. After the advent of Islam, Sicily got attacked by the Arab forces. Raids seeking loot continued until the mid-8th century. A Muslim army was sent to the island in 827 but met with much resistance. So it took a century to conquer it and even later revolts constantly occurred In 1038 the Byzantines invaded the island supported by Norman mercenaries, led by Roger. In 1072, after the siege of Palermo, most of Sicily was under Norman control. Roger´s son Roger II raised the status +of the island to a kingdom in 1130. During this period, the Kingdom of Sicily was prosperous and powerful, The court of Roger II became melting out of culture from Europe and the Middle East. This attracted scholars, scientists, artists, and artisans. Muslims, Jews, Greeks, Lombards, and Normans cooperated and created some extraordinary buildings. In 1186 the last descendant of Roger, Constance of Sicily married Emperor Henry VI, the second son of Barbarossa. So the crown of Sicily was passed on to the Hohenstaufen Dynasty. Frederick II, the only son of Constance, was crowned King of Sicily at the age of four in 1198. He became "Stupor Mundi", one of the greatest and most cultured men of the Middle Ages. - Syracuse, founded by Greek settlers in 734 BC, developed into the most powerful city on the island in the early times. Syracuse withstood the attacks of foreign conquerors over a long period, but in 212 BC it became a Roman city. After the fall of the Roman Empire, Syracuse came under the rule of the Vandals and then the Ostrogoths. Then for three centuries, Syracuse was part of the Byzantine Empire, before the Arabs conquered the city in 878. In 1038 Byzantine troops took over and the "Castello Maniace" was erected. Already in 1086 Roger I sieged Syracuse and conquered the city. In 1221 Emperor Frederick II took over and had the Castello Maniace rebuilt. He as well had the episcopal palace erected. The round "Chiesa di San Tommaso al Pantheon" is the monument to the fallen soldiers of the First World War. The church was designed by Gaetano Rapisardi in 1919.

Châtillon-sur-Seine - Saint-Vorles

29 Feb 2016 186
The church, placed on a hill, was constructed in 991. The relics of Saint Vorles are kept here, so this church has been a point of pilgrimage from the beginning. The crypt has been a place of worshipping and pilgrimage for ages. All the walls near this crypt are covered with graffitis, most dating back to the 19th century. There are literally thousands of names. Some of them are carved in, but most were done with a copying pencil. Here are names and addresses from american soldiers, dating back to a time just after WW1.

Peronne - Saint-Jean-Baptiste

04 Jul 2014 307
Peronne is a small town, situated in the Somme, a department of Northern France, that was the site of a series of battles during World War I. In 1916 the "Battle of the Somme", in which more than 1,000,000 men were wounded or killed, was fought in this area. Saint-Jean-Baptiste was built in flamboyant Gothic style and got consecrated in 1525. During the Franco-Prussian War (1870/71) the structure got severely damaged by Prussian Fire. It got reconstructed after the war. The church was taken over by the German army in October 1914 and a machine gun was installed on top of the tower. Four years later the church was in ruins, only the facade was still intact. It took decades to rebuilt Saint-Jean-Baptiste.

Laon - Abbey of St. Martin

27 Jun 2014 256
Laon, placed on a ridge and overlooking the flat Picardy plain, was a strategic, fortified site, already in Roman times. St. Remi founded a bishopric here in 487. Laon was a very important place in the kingdom of the Franks. After the fall of the Carolingians, Hugh Capet became the master of the town with the support of the bishop. The Abbey of St. Martin was founded in 1124 in Laon by the Bishop of Laon and Saint Norbert of Xanten. The Premonstratensian community started with twelve canons from the nearby Prémontré Abbey. The abbey was so successful that it soon numbered more than 500 members. Around 1300 this abbey was the second largest of the 150 Premonstratensian convents all over Europe. It existed upto the French Revolution, when it was dissolved. The former abbey church (seen here), erected within the 12th century, now serves the parish. The former monastic buildings have gaaen used as a hospital for many decades. Since 1980 they house the collection of the municipal library. In 1914 German forces captured Laon and held it until mid 1918. The hospital then was used by the German troops - and of course, the German soldiers, guarding it, had time to carve graffiti into the walls of the entrance gate. One of them carved this early "selfie". 100 years ago! On 28 June 1914 Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife Sophie were shot dead in Sarajevo. This assassination led directly to WWI.

Laon - Abbey of St. Martin

26 Jun 2014 253
Laon, placed on a ridge and overlooking the flat Picardy plain, was a strategic, fortified site, already in Roman times. St. Remi founded a bishopric here in 487. Laon was a very important place in the kingdom of the Franks. After the fall of the Carolingians, Hugh Capet became the master of the town with the support of the bishop. The Abbey of St. Martin was founded in 1124 in Laon by the Bishop of Laon and Saint Norbert of Xanten. The Premonstratensian community started with twelve canons from the nearby Prémontré Abbey. The abbey was so successful that it soon numbered more than 500 members. Around 1300 this abbey was the second largest of the 150 Premonstratensian convents all over Europe. It existed upto the French Revolution, when it was dissolved. The former abbey church (seen here), erected within the 12th century, now serves the parish. The former monastic buildings have gaaen used as a hospital for many decades. Since 1980 they house the collection of the municipal library. In 1914 German forces captured Laon and held it until mid 1918. The hospital then was used by the German troops - and of course, the German soldiers, guarding it, had time to carve graffiti into the walls of the entrance gate. One of these soldiers was Mr. Giesemann from Berlin, on duty here 1914/15. Somebody carved in "Lächel" - what means "Smile". 100 years ago! On 28 June 1914 Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife Sophie were shot dead in Sarajevo. This assassination led directly to WWI.