Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: brick church

Nienburg - St. Martin

02 Apr 2019 3 268
A document issued by the Diocese of Minden in 1025 refers to this place as "Nyge Borg" (new castle). The settlement got fortified and in 1225 it became a "civitas", when the Counts of Hoya granted the city rights. The major reason for this development was its location at a convenient ford in the Weser River, leading to multiple trade routes radiating from the location. A Romanesque church existed here within the 12th century, already in 1237 a pastor is known here. This church got replaced by St. Martin a late Gothic brick church. Stones of the predeccessing church got reused in the outer walls of the hall church. The cross shaped basilica got consecrated in 1441 or 1451. In the 1960s the interior got renovated and the gallery and the neo Gothic pulpit were removed. The new altar is adorned with sandstone figures of the Twelve Apostles created around 1520 in the studio of the "Master of Osnabrück". They had been removed from the church in 1830/31 and "got lost". In 1987 they returned to St. Martin after a joint fundraising organised by the church and the City of Nienburg saved them from an auction in London. The 12 Apostles returned home again.

Nienburg - St. Martin

02 Apr 2019 201
A document issued by the Diocese of Minden in 1025 refers to this place as "Nyge Borg" (new castle). The settlement got fortified and in 1225 it became a "civitas", when the Counts of Hoya granted the city rights. The major reason for this development was its location at a convenient ford in the Weser River, leading to multiple trade routes radiating from the location. A Romanesque church existed here within the 12th century, already in 1237 a pastor is known here. This church got replaced by St. Martin a late Gothic brick church. Stones of the predeccessing church got reused in the outer walls of the hall church. The cross shaped basilica got consecrated in 1441 or 1451. In the 1960s the interior got renovated and the gallery and the neo Gothic pulpit were removed. During the restoration work some late Gothic murals under the ceiling were discovered and got restored. Here are David and Goliath.

Nienburg - St. Martin

02 Apr 2019 1 1 319
A document issued by the Diocese of Minden in 1025 refers to this place as "Nyge Borg" (new castle). The settlement got fortified and in 1225 it became a "civitas", when the Counts of Hoya granted the city rights. The major reason for this development was its location at a convenient ford in the Weser River, leading to multiple trade routes radiating from the location. A Romanesque church existed here within the 12th century, already in 1237 a pastor is known here. This church got replaced by St. Martin a late Gothic brick church. Stones of the predeccessing church got reused in the outer walls of the hall church. The cross shaped basilica got consecrated in 1441 or 1451. In the 1960s the interior got renovated. The gallery and the neo Gothic pulpit were removed. During the restoration work some late Gothic murals were discovered under the ceiling and got restored.

Nienburg - St. Martin

02 Apr 2019 237
A document issued by the Diocese of Minden in 1025 refers to this place as "Nyge Borg" (new castle). The settlement got fortified and in 1225 it became a "civitas", when the Counts of Hoya granted the city rights. The major reason for this development was its location at a convenient ford in the Weser River, leading to multiple trade routes radiating from the location. A Romanesque church existed in the center of Nienburg within the 12th century, already in 1237 a pastor is known here. This church got replaced by St. Martin a late Gothic brick church. Stones of the predeccessing church got reused in the outer walls of the hall church. The cross shaped basilica got consecrated in 1441 or 1451. The sandstone base of the dominating tower (73 meters) dates back to the 13th century. The original tower was badly damaged during the Thirty Years' War and was replaced tower after the war. In 1896, this tower got replaced by the neo-Gothic tower.