Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Rimini

Rimini - Ponte di Tiberio

15 Sep 2022 6 1 114
The area was inhabited by Etruscans until the arrival of the Celts, who held it from the 6th century BC until their defeat by the Umbri in 283 BC. In 268 BC the Roman Republic founded the colonia of Ariminum. The end of Roman rule was marked by the destruction caused by invasions and wars. When the Ostrogoths conquered Rimini in 493, Odoacer, besieged in Ravenna, had to capitulate. During the Gothic War (535–554), Rimini was taken and retaken many times. Under Byzantine rule, it was part of the Exarchate of Ravenna. In 728, it was taken with many other cities by Liutprand, King of the Lombards but returned to the Byzantines about 735. Pepin the Short gave it to the Holy See, but during the wars of the popes and the Italian cities against the emperors, Rimini sided with the latter. The Ponte di Tiberio (Tiberius Bridge) features five semicircular arches with an average span length of ca. 8 m. Construction work started during Augustus' reign and was finished under his successor Tiberius in 20 AD. The bridge was the only crossing of the Marecchia not destroyed by the retreating German army during the Battle of Rimini. The Tiberius Bridge, starting point of the Via Emilia, is still open to pedestrians today.

Rimini - Tempietto di Sant'Antonio

15 Sep 2022 1 119
The area was inhabited by Etruscans until the arrival of the Celts, who held it from the 6th century BC until their defeat by the Umbri in 283 BC. In 268 BC the Roman Republic founded the colonia of Ariminum. The end of Roman rule was marked by the destruction caused by invasions and wars. When the Ostrogoths conquered Rimini in 493, Odoacer, besieged in Ravenna, had to capitulate. During the Gothic War (535–554), Rimini was taken and retaken many times. Under Byzantine rule, it was part of the Exarchate of Ravenna. In 728, it was taken with many other cities by Liutprand, King of the Lombards but returned to the Byzantines about 735. Pepin the Short gave it to the Holy See, but during the wars of the popes and the Italian cities against the emperors, Rimini sided with the latter. The Tempietto di Sant'Antonio is a small, octagonal chapel dedicated to St Anthony of Padua The structure was initially built here in 1518 and rebuilt in Baroque style after the earthquake of 1672. Legend has the structure was constructed to honor a Eucharistic miracle at the site. The legend, known also as the "Miracle of the Mule", holds that, during the 13th century, St Anthony of Padua, after an impassioned public sermon, was distributing the blessed eucharist to faithful gathered in the piazza, when one citizen ignored him while walking along with his mule. The mule however miraculously and stubbornly sat prostrate in front of the saint.

Rimini - Fontana della Pigna

15 Sep 2022 3 59
The area was inhabited by Etruscans until the arrival of the Celts, who held it from the 6th century BC until their defeat by the Umbri in 283 BC. In 268 BC the Roman Republic founded the colonia of Ariminum. The end of Roman rule was marked by the destruction caused by invasions and wars. When the Ostrogoths conquered Rimini in 493, Odoacer, besieged in Ravenna, had to capitulate. During the Gothic War (535–554), Rimini was taken and retaken many times. Under Byzantine rule, it was part of the Exarchate of Ravenna. In 728, it was taken with many other cities by Liutprand, King of the Lombards but returned to the Byzantines about 735. Pepin the Short gave it to the Holy See, but during the wars of the popes and the Italian cities against the emperors, Rimini sided with the latter. Fontana a pigna (Pinecone fountain ) is located on the Piazza Cavour in the center of the old town. Seen in the backdrop is the Vecchia Pescheria (prev. upload). A fountain existed here already in Roman times. As in many other cities, this well was the only source of drinking water in the city, it fulfilled this function until 1912, the year of the inauguration of the public aqueduct. The fountain seen today was completely renovated and rebuilt in 1543 by Giovanni da Carrara, after the damage caused in 1540 by the fireworks placed here to celebrate the Cardinal Legate Giovanni Maria Ciocchi del Monte (the future pope Julius III). The renovation, commissioned by Pope Paul III on the occasion of his visit to the city in 1541 is still memorized by the inscription.

Rimini - Vecchia Pescheria

15 Sep 2022 2 54
The area was inhabited by Etruscans until the arrival of the Celts, who held it from the 6th century BC until their defeat by the Umbri in 283 BC. In 268 BC the Roman Republic founded the colonia of Ariminum. The end of Roman rule was marked by the destruction caused by invasions and wars. When the Ostrogoths conquered Rimini in 493, Odoacer, besieged in Ravenna, had to capitulate. During the Gothic War (535–554), Rimini was taken and retaken many times. Under Byzantine rule, it was part of the Exarchate of Ravenna. In 728, it was taken with many other cities by Liutprand, King of the Lombards but returned to the Byzantines about 735. Pepin the Short gave it to the Holy See, but during the wars of the popes and the Italian cities against the emperors, Rimini sided with the latter. The Vecchia Pescheria (old fish market) was built in 1747 according to the design of the local architect Giovana Francesco Buonamici, who as well designed the Duomo in Ravenna. It is a two-story open gallery with three arches. Inside there are two parallel rows of stone benches, which are used to display/sell the fish.

Rimini - Vecchia Pescheria

15 Sep 2022 50
The area was inhabited by Etruscans until the arrival of the Celts, who held it from the 6th century BC until their defeat by the Umbri in 283 BC. In 268 BC the Roman Republic founded the colonia of Ariminum. The end of Roman rule was marked by the destruction caused by invasions and wars. When the Ostrogoths conquered Rimini in 493, Odoacer, besieged in Ravenna, had to capitulate. During the Gothic War (535–554), Rimini was taken and retaken many times. Under Byzantine rule, it was part of the Exarchate of Ravenna. In 728, it was taken with many other cities by Liutprand, King of the Lombards but returned to the Byzantines about 735. Pepin the Short gave it to the Holy See, but during the wars of the popes and the Italian cities against the emperors, Rimini sided with the latter. The Vecchia Pescheria (old fish market) was built in 1747 according to the design of the local architect Giovana Francesco Buonamici, who as well designed the Duomo in Ravenna. It is a two-story open gallery with three arches. Inside there are two parallel rows of stone benches, which are used to display/sell the fish.

Rimini - Tempio Malatestiano

14 Sep 2022 6 1 88
The area was inhabited by Etruscans until the arrival of the Celts, who held it from the 6th century BC until their defeat by the Umbri in 283 BC. In 268 BC the Roman Republic founded the colonia of Ariminum. The end of Roman rule was marked by the destruction caused by invasions and wars. When the Ostrogoths conquered Rimini in 493, Odoacer, besieged in Ravenna, had to capitulate. During the Gothic War (535–554), Rimini was taken and retaken many times. Under Byzantine rule, it was part of the Exarchate of Ravenna. In 728, it was taken with many other cities by Liutprand, King of the Lombards but returned to the Byzantines about 735. Pepin the Short gave it to the Holy See, but during the wars of the popes and the Italian cities against the emperors, Rimini sided with the latter. The Tempio Malatestiano is the unfinished cathedral of Rimini. Officially named for St. Francis, it takes the popular name from Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, who commissioned its reconstruction by the famous Renaissance architect Leon Battista Alberti around 1450. Two elephants hide in the frieze on the facade of the church. They were carved around 1450 and are already very precise anatomically.

Rimini - Tempio Malatestiano

14 Sep 2022 3 67
The area was inhabited by Etruscans until the arrival of the Celts, who held it from the 6th century BC until their defeat by the Umbri in 283 BC. In 268 BC the Roman Republic founded the colonia of Ariminum. The end of Roman rule was marked by the destruction caused by invasions and wars. When the Ostrogoths conquered Rimini in 493, Odoacer, besieged in Ravenna, had to capitulate. During the Gothic War (535–554), Rimini was taken and retaken many times. Under Byzantine rule, it was part of the Exarchate of Ravenna. In 728, it was taken with many other cities by Liutprand, King of the Lombards but returned to the Byzantines about 735. Pepin the Short gave it to the Holy See, but during the wars of the popes and the Italian cities against the emperors, Rimini sided with the latter. The Tempio Malatestiano is the unfinished cathedral of Rimini. Officially named for St. Francis, it takes the popular name from Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, who commissioned its reconstruction by the famous Renaissance architect Leon Battista Alberti around 1450.

Santarcangelo di Romagna - Pieve di San Michele Ar…

25 Sep 2016 1 200
The "Pieve di San Michele Arcangelo" (dedicated to Maria Assunta) is known since the 9th century. Excations have proved, that the apse was erected over a Roman temple within the 6th century, when the area was part of the (Byzantine) Exarchate of Ravenna. By now it is the oldest church in and around Rimini. The tower was added to the basilica within the 13th century. Unfortunately the church as locked.