Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: St. Lorenz
Travemünde - St. Lorenz
28 Jun 2021 |
|
Travemünde is a borough of Lübeck, located at the mouth of the river Trave in Lübeck Bay. It was founded in 1187. The city of Lübeck had already been granted the decisive rights to Travemünde by Emperor Frederick II in 1226. At that time the Priwall came to Travemünde. In 1329 Travemünde finally became part of the then Lübeck city-state. In the 12th century, Travemünde got strongly fortified by Henry the Lion to guard the mouth of the Trave,
It began life as a fortress built by Henry the Lion, Duke of Saxony, in the 12th century to guard the mouth of the Trave. The fortifications were demolished in the early 19th century, as already since 1802 Travemünde has been a seaside resort. since 1802,
A church is known here since around 1250. Only a few parts survived of that building that burned down in 1522. In the 1540s the church got rebuild on the foundations of the previous one. In 1605/06 the tower followed, which was completed in 1619-1621 with an octagonal tower story and the spire.
The church is decorated with painted ceiling and wall frescoes. But due to a funeral, I did not enter and so did not see the paintings and the late Gothic triumphal cross I had heard of.
Travemünde - St. Lorenz
28 Jun 2021 |
|
|
|
Travemünde is a borough of Lübeck, located at the mouth of the river Trave in Lübeck Bay. It was founded in 1187. The city of Lübeck had already been granted the decisive rights to Travemünde by Emperor Frederick II in 1226. At that time the Priwall came to Travemünde. In 1329 Travemünde finally became part of the then Lübeck city-state. In the 12th century, Travemünde got strongly fortified by Henry the Lion to guard the mouth of the Trave,
It began life as a fortress built by Henry the Lion, Duke of Saxony, in the 12th century to guard the mouth of the Trave. The fortifications were demolished in the early 19th century, as already since 1802 Travemünde has been a seaside resort. since 1802,
A church is known here since around 1250. Only a few parts survived of that building that burned down in 1522. In the 1540s the church got rebuild on the foundations of the previous one. In 1605/06 the tower followed, which was completed in 1619-1621 with an octagonal tower story and the spire.
The church is decorated with painted ceiling and wall frescoes. But due to a funeral, I did not enter and so did not see the paintings and the late Gothic triumphal cross I had heard of.
Nuremberg - St. Lorenz
05 Sep 2017 |
|
|
|
The construction St. Lorenz started around 1250, replacing a smaller Romanesque church. At the same time St. Sebaldus, another great church in Nuremberg was under construction - only 300 meters east. That probably caused a kind of rivalry.
Nuremberg was a "Free Imperial City". The "Golden Bull" (1356) named Nuremberg as the city where newly elected kings of Germany must hold their first Imperial Diet, making Nuremberg one of the three highest cities of the Empire.
So it is no surprise, that St. Lorenz, a church that was (financially) cared of by the city council and by wealthy citizens, was a kind of very prestigious object for the city.
St. Lorenz was completed ~ 1390, but - following St. Sebaldus - already a decade later alterations started. The side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider ones. The erection of the Gothic hall-chancel was done 1439 - 1477.
Since 1525 St. Lorenz is a (Evangelical) Lutheran parish church. Only 8 years after Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg. Though Lutheran that early St. Lorenz never suffered from an iconoclast, maybe the now Lutheran citizens respected, what their ancestors had created here (by funding!).
The about 20 metres high tabernacle is a masterpiece, created by Adam Kraft (and his studio) 1493 - 1496. Donor was Hans IV. Imhoff, a wealthy, prominent merchant and city councilman. The contract between Hans IV. Imhoff and Adam Kraft is in the archives of the "Germanisches Nationalmuseum" in Nuremberg. Imhoff paid more than 77 guldens, the doors were another 20.
Three life size figures support the structure. In the center is a self portrait of Adam Kraft. He must have been a very self confident artist.
lorenzkirche.de/
Nuremberg - St. Lorenz
05 Sep 2017 |
|
The construction St. Lorenz started around 1250, replacing a smaller Romanesque church. At the same time St. Sebaldus, another great church in Nuremberg was under construction - only 300 meters east. That probably caused a kind of rivalry.
Nuremberg was a "Free Imperial City". The "Golden Bull" (1356) named Nuremberg as the city where newly elected kings of Germany must hold their first Imperial Diet, making Nuremberg one of the three highest cities of the Empire.
So it is no surprise, that St. Lorenz, a church that was (financially) cared of by the city council and by wealthy citizens, was a kind of very prestigious object for the city.
St. Lorenz was completed ~ 1390, but - following St. Sebaldus - already a decade later alterations started. The side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider ones. The erection of the Gothic hall-chancel was done 1439 - 1477.
Since 1525 St. Lorenz is a (Evangelical) Lutheran parish church. Only 8 years after Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg. Though Lutheran that early St. Lorenz never suffered from an iconoclast, maybe the now Lutheran citizens respected, what their ancestors had created here (by funding!).
The about 20 metres high tabernacle is a masterpiece, created by Adam Kraft (and his studio) 1493 - 1496. Donor was Hans IV. Imhoff, a wealthy, prominent merchant and city councilman. The contract between Hans IV. Imhoff and Adam Kraft is in the archives of the "Germanisches Nationalmuseum" in Nuremberg. Imhoff paid more than 77 guldens, the doors were another 20.
Three life size figures support the structure. In the center is a self portrait of Adam Kraft. He must have been a very self confident artist. The other figures may depict two of Kraft´s assistants.
lorenzkirche.de/
Nuremberg - St. Lorenz
05 Sep 2017 |
|
The construction St. Lorenz started around 1250, replacing a smaller Romanesque church. At the same time St. Sebaldus, another great church in Nuremberg was under construction - only 300 meters east. That probably caused a kind of rivalry.
Nuremberg was a "Free Imperial City". The "Golden Bull" (1356) named Nuremberg as the city where newly elected kings of Germany must hold their first Imperial Diet, making Nuremberg one of the three highest cities of the Empire.
So it is no surprise, that St. Lorenz, a church that was (financially) cared of by the city council and by wealthy citizens, was a kind of very prestigious object for the city.
St. Lorenz was completed ~ 1390, but - following St. Sebaldus - already a decade later alterations started. The side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider ones. The erection of the Gothic hall-chancel was done 1439 - 1477.
Since 1525 St. Lorenz is a (Evangelical) Lutheran parish church. Only 8 years after Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg. Though Lutheran that early St. Lorenz never suffered from an iconoclast, maybe the now Lutheran citizens respected, what their ancestors had created here (by funding!).
The "Engelsgruss" (= "Ave Maria") carved by Veit Stoss ~
1517.
Luke 1:26-28
"In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.""
lorenzkirche.de/
Nuremberg - St. Lorenz
05 Sep 2017 |
|
The construction St. Lorenz started around 1250, replacing a smaller Romanesque church. At the same time St. Sebaldus, another great church in Nuremberg was under construction - only 300 meters east. That probably caused a kind of rivalry.
Nuremberg was a "Free Imperial City". The "Golden Bull" (1356) named Nuremberg as the city where newly elected kings of Germany must hold their first Imperial Diet, making Nuremberg one of the three highest cities of the Empire.
So it is no surprise, that St. Lorenz, a church that was (financially) cared of by the city council and by wealthy citizens, was a kind of very prestigious object for the city.
St. Lorenz was completed ~ 1390, but - following St. Sebaldus - already a decade later alterations started. The side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider ones. The erection of the Gothic hall-chancel was done 1439 - 1477.
Since 1525 St. Lorenz is a (Evangelical) Lutheran parish church. Only 8 years after Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg. Though Lutheran that early St. Lorenz never suffered from an iconoclast, maybe the now Lutheran citizens respected, what their ancestors had created here (by funding!).
The large round "Engelsgruss" (= "Ave Maria") carved by Veit Stoss and the vaults of the the hall chancel above.
When carpet bombings during World War II destroyed most of the old town of Nuremberg, St. Lorenz got badly damaged. The rebuilding started end of the 1940s.
lorenzkirche.de/
Nuremberg - St. Lorenz
05 Sep 2017 |
|
|
|
The construction St. Lorenz started around 1250, replacing a smaller Romanesque church. At the same time St. Sebaldus, another great church in Nuremberg was under construction - only 300 meters east. That probably caused a kind of rivalry.
Nuremberg was a "Free Imperial City". The "Golden Bull" (1356) named Nuremberg as the city where newly elected kings of Germany must hold their first Imperial Diet, making Nuremberg one of the three highest cities of the Empire.
So it is no surprise, that St. Lorenz, a church that was (financially) cared of by the city council and by wealthy citizens, was a kind of very prestigious object for the city.
St. Lorenz was completed ~ 1390, but - following St. Sebaldus - already a decade later alterations started. The side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider ones. The erection of the Gothic hall-chancel was done 1439 - 1477.
Since 1525 St. Lorenz is a (Evangelical) Lutheran parish church. Only 8 years after Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg. Though Lutheran that early St. Lorenz never suffered from an iconoclast, maybe the now Lutheran citizens respected, what their ancestors had created here (by funding!).
The large round "Engelsgruss" (= "Ave Maria") carved by Veit Stoss is in the center of the hall chancel. Seen to the left the (nearly 20 meters high!) tabernacle by Adam Kraft.
When carpet bombings during World War II destroyed most of the old town of Nuremberg, St. Lorenz got badly damaged. The rebuilding started end of the 1940s.
lorenzkirche.de/
Nuremberg - St. Lorenz
05 Sep 2017 |
|
The construction St. Lorenz started around 1250, replacing a smaller Romanesque church. At the same time St. Sebaldus, another great church in Nuremberg was under construction - only 300 meters east. That probably caused a kind of rivalry.
Nuremberg was a "Free Imperial City". The "Golden Bull" (1356) named Nuremberg as the city where newly elected kings of Germany must hold their first Imperial Diet, making Nuremberg one of the three highest cities of the Empire.
So it is no surprise, that St. Lorenz, a church that was (financially) cared of by the city council and by wealthy citizens, was a kind of very prestigious object for the city.
St. Lorenz was completed ~ 1390, but - following St. Sebaldus - already a decade later alterations started. The side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider ones. The erection of the Gothic hall-chancel was done 1439 - 1477.
Since 1525 St. Lorenz is a (Evangelical) Lutheran parish church. Only 8 years after Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg. Though Lutheran that early St. Lorenz never suffered from an iconoclast, maybe the now Lutheran citizens respected, what their ancestors had created here (by funding!)
When carpet bombings during World War II destroyed most of the old town of Nuremberg, St. Lorenz got badly damaged. The rebuilding started end of the 1940s.
The nave.
lorenzkirche.de/
Nuremberg - St. Lorenz
05 Sep 2017 |
|
The construction St. Lorenz started around 1250, replacing a smaller Romanesque church. At the same time St. Sebaldus, another great church in Nuremberg was under construction - only 300 meters east. That probably caused a kind of rivalry.
Nuremberg was a "Free Imperial City". The "Golden Bull" (1356) named Nuremberg as the city where newly elected kings of Germany must hold their first Imperial Diet, making Nuremberg one of the three highest cities of the Empire.
So it is no surprise, that St. Lorenz, a church that was (financially) cared of by the city council and by wealthy citizens, was a kind of very prestigious object for the city.
St. Lorenz was completed ~ 1390, but - following St. Sebaldus - already a decade later alterations started. The side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider ones. The erection of the Gothic hall-chancel was done 1439 - 1477.
Since 1525 St. Lorenz is a (Evangelical) Lutheran parish church. Only 8 years after Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg.
When carpet bombings during World War II destroyed most of the old town of Nuremberg, St. Lorenz got badly damaged. The rebuilding started end of the 1940s.
Jamb statues flank the main portal.
lorenzkirche.de/
Nuremberg - St. Lorenz
04 Sep 2017 |
|
|
|
The construction St. Lorenz started around 1250, replacing a smaller Romanesque church here. At the same time St. Sebaldus, another great church in Nuremberg was under construction - only 300 meters east. That probably caused a kind of rivalry.
St. Lorenz was completed ~ 1390, but - following St. Sebaldus - already a decade later alterations started. The side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider ones. The erection of the Gothic hall-chancel was done 1439 - 1477. Since 1525 St. Lorenz is a (Evangelical) Lutheran parish church. Only 8 years after Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg.
When carpet bombings during World War II destroyed most of the old town of Nuremberg, St. Lorenz got badly damaged. The rebuilding started end of the 1940s.
The rose window of the western facade is 9 meters in diameter.
lorenzkirche.de/
Nuremberg - St. Lorenz
04 Sep 2017 |
|
|
|
The construction St. Lorenz started around 1250, replacing a smaller Romanesque church here. At the same time St. Sebaldus, another great church in Nuremberg was under construction - only 300 meters east. That probably caused a kind of rivalry.
St. Lorenz was completed ~ 1390, but - following St. Sebaldus - already a decade later alterations started. The side aisles got demolished and were replaced by wider ones. The erection of the Gothic hall-chancel was done 1439 - 1477. Since 1525 St. Lorenz is a (Evangelical) Lutheran parish church. Only 8 years after Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-five Theses to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg.
When carpet bombings during World War II destroyed most of the old town of Nuremberg, St. Lorenz got badly damaged. The rebuilding started end of the 1940s.
lorenzkirche.de
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "St. Lorenz" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter