Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Hohenzollernbrücke
Cologne - Groß St. Martin
08 Mar 2019 |
|
|
Groß St. Martin (Great Saint Martin) was founded on remnants of a Roman chapel, built on what was then an island in the Rhine. A local legend tells, that it was founded by missionaries Plechelmus and Viro and funded by Pepin of Herstal and his wife Plektrudis. But scholars have turned that down. It it undisputed, that Cologn Bishop Brun (925-965) founded a chapter of canons here and bestowed relics of St. Eliphius to the church of St. Martin. Under Archbishop Eveger the canons were replaced by iroscottish Benedictians
The current building with the soaring crossing tower was erected, after a fire, between 1150-1250. The architecture of its eastern end forms a triconch or trefoil plan, consisting of three apses around the crossing. This part was already consecrated in 1172.
When the French occupied Cologne the secularization started. The monastery was disbanded in 1802 and the last monks had to leave, Groß St. Martin became a parish church. First reataurations started mid of the 19th century.
Groß St. Martin was badly damaged by aerial bombing during WWII. The first ever 1,000 bomber raid by the RAF (codenamed "Operation Millenium") was conducted on Cologne in May 1942. That day the tower and nave of the church were burnt to the ground. The sacristy building and north apse were also destroyed. In the following year a chapel on the northern side was destroyed and in January 1945 the triforiums of all three apses were destroyed. At the end of the war almost 95% of the buildings in the old city were destroay or badly damaged.
There was a controverial discussion after the war, what to do with the ruined church, as many prefered to leave it as a ruined memorial to the war. But in the end it was decided to rebuild Groß St. Martin. This startet in 1955 and took 40 years. The church was reopened in 1985.
As of 2009 Groß St. Martin is being used by a branch of the Monastic Fraternities of Jerusalem.
Gr0ßs St. Martin to the left - the Cathedral to the right.
Cologne - Hohenzollernbrücke
26 Feb 2019 |
|
|
Cologne is the fourth-largest city in Germany - and one of the oldest. A Germanic tribe, the Ubii, had a settlement here, this was named by the Romans "Oppidum Ubiorum". In 50 AD, the Romans founded "Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium", the city then became the provincial capital of "Germania Inferior".
The Hohenzollernbrücke (Hohenzollern Bridge), constructed between 1907 and 1911, is named after the House of Hohenzollern, rulers of Prussia and German Emperors. At the time, Cologne was part of the Prussian Rhine Province. It was inaugurated in 1911 by Kaiser Wilhelm II.
The Hohenzollernbrücke was an important bridge during WW II. In March the German armee blew up the bridge as Allied troops began their assault on Cologne. The bridge got repaired, rebuilt and was completed again in 1958.
About 1200 trains cross the Hohenzollerbrücke every day - and many young couples! In 2008 the first "love locks" were found here, meanwile here is a wall of glittering "love locks". It is estimated, that way more than 40.000 locks add more then 15 tons of weight to the bridge, but sofar there is no danger to the bridge´s statics.
In the backdrop - the "Kölner Dom".
Cologne - Love locks
29 Jun 2018 |
|
|
|
In 2008 the first "love locks" were found at the Hohenzollernbrücke, that crosses the Rhine river near the Dom (Catherdal). Thousands of tourists cross the bridge for the vista. Young couples have created a wall of "love locks" here. It is estimated, that on the southern side of the Hohenzollernbrücke are way more than 40.000 locks. These locks add more then 15 tons of weight to the bridge, but sofar there is no danger to the bridge´s statics.
Cologne - Hohenzollernbrücke
29 Jun 2018 |
|
Cologne is the fourth-largest city in Germany - and one of the oldest. A Germanic tribe, the Ubii, had a settlement here, this was named by the Romans "Oppidum Ubiorum". In 50 AD, the Romans founded "Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium", the city then became the provincial capital of "Germania Inferior".
The Hohenzollernbrücke (Hohenzollern Bridge), constructed between 1907 and 1911, is named after the House of Hohenzollern, rulers of Prussia and German Emperors. At the time, Cologne was part of the Prussian Rhine Province. It was inaugurated in 1911 by Kaiser Wilhelm II.
The Hohenzollernbrücke was an important bridge during WW II. In March the German armee blew up the bridge as Allied troops began their assault on Cologne. The bridge got repaired, rebuilt and was completed again in 1958.
About 1200 trains cross the Hohenzollerbrücke every day - and many young couples! In 2008 the first "love locks" were found here, meanwile here is a wall of "love locks". It is estimated, that way more than 40.000 locks add more then 15 tons of weight to the bridge, but sofar there is no danger to the bridge´s statics.
In the backdrop - the Dom.
Cologne - Rhine
28 Jun 2018 |
|
|
Cologne is the fourth-largest city in Germany - and one of the oldest. A Germanic tribe, the Ubii, had a settlement here, this was named by the Romans "Oppidum Ubiorum". In 50 AD, the Romans founded "Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium", the city then became the provincial capital of "Germania Inferior".
--
Standing on the Deutzer Brücke facing north. Large barges cross the city. On the left bank, near Dom and Gross Sankt Martin, cruise ships have moored. Trains reach Cologne via the Hohenzollernbrücke in front. The central station is next tio the Cathedral.
Jump to top
RSS feed- Martin M. Miles' latest photos with "Hohenzollernbrücke" - Photos
- ipernity © 2007-2025
- Help & Contact
|
Club news
|
About ipernity
|
History |
ipernity Club & Prices |
Guide of good conduct
Donate | Group guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Statutes | In memoria -
Facebook
Twitter