Martin M. Miles' photos with the keyword: Moor

Morlaàs - Sainte-Foy

28 Jun 2013 1 168
In 1080, when Morlaàs was in its heydays, the building of this church started by Centulle V, Viscount of Béarn, who had to make an atonement. Morlaàs developed to an important "étape" on the Via Tolosana at that time. As the church was dedicated to St. Foy there was a kind of "link" to Conques. Later the pilgrimage business declined, the viscounts had moved away, wars arose.... The church burnt down in 1520, got severely damaged in 1569. During the French Revolution the church turned to a "Temple of Reason". The restorations of the 19th century saved the structure. Viollet-le-Duc, the influential "Inspecteur général des Edifices Diocésains" led the restoration of the portal. At all places, where he worked (eg "Carcasonne", "Vézelay"), he "recreated" and creatively "completed", what is a method, that is disputed meanwhile. The condition of the portal is a result of this restoration. After the cleaning done in the last years and the installation of pigeon-defence-wires, the carvings are "mint". The large archivolt depicting the 24 elders of the Apocalypse, a common icon on Romanesque portals (Moissac, Chartres, Santiago de Compostela ..) is supported by two strong men on either side. Both men suffer - endure pain. They are probably Moors just like the two chained collegues under the trumeau, 3 meters below. This one is on the right side.

Morlaàs - Sainte-Foy

28 Jun 2013 1 161
In 1080, when Morlaàs was in its heydays, the building of this church started by Centulle V, Viscount of Béarn, who had to make an atonement. Morlaàs developed to an important "étape" on the Via Tolosana at that time. As the church was dedicated to St. Foy there was a kind of "link" to Conques. Later the pilgrimage business declined, the viscounts had moved away, wars arose.... The church burnt down in 1520, got severely damaged in 1569. During the French Revolution the church turned to a "Temple of Reason". The restorations of the 19th century saved the structure. Viollet-le-Duc, the influential "Inspecteur général des Edifices Diocésains" led the restoration of the portal. At all places, where he worked (eg "Carcasonne", "Vézelay"), he "recreated" and creatively "completed", what is a method, that is disputed meanwhile. The condition of the portal is a result of this restoration. After the cleaning done in the last years and the installation of pigeon-defence-wires, the carvings are "mint". The large archivolt depicting the 24 elders of the Apocalypse, a common icon on Romanesque portals (Moissac, Chartres, Santiago de Compostela ..) is supported by two strong men on either side. They seem to suffer strongly (tongue protruding). These two are probably Moors just like the couple having the holding the center pillar, 3 meters below.. This one is on the left side.